Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-16-2011, 04:52 AM

Hey, I just had a thought - wouldn't a Raggedy Anne quilt for a granddaughter, with real yarn hair, shoe button eyes & alter nated with pink candy hearts that say "I Love You" be a fun project? ;-)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:17 AM

Haven't read all of the pages but a lot of them and I have to add my 2 cents. I love applique. Maybe it is the frustrated artist in me. Due to a pinched nerve in my neck I am unable to do handwork so all my applique is by machine. I absolutely love raw edge. I usually use the buttonhole stitch on my Baby Lock Ellegante, but sometimes I just FMQ a straight line around all the pieces. Also, sometimes just for a change I sew the pieces on to dryer sheets right sides together and then turn them right side out and then buttonhole stitch. I do some thread painting. Not the real heavy stitching, just follow the outlines on designs.. I don't use the satin stitch because I get to impatient and don't slow down and stop and turn the way I should so it comes out looking messy. Those that can satin stitch a smooth line on curves and siz-zags really have my admiration. It looks wonderful when done correctly. I forgot the most important part of my machine applique. I "always" use fusible!!! I have used the expensive fusible and the inexpensive Wonder Under. I can't seem to tell the difference except at the cash register. Enough of my rambling. Everyone have fun. When will we see photos?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:28 AM

Polly, would love to see some pics of your applique. I just started learning to machine applique last year & really like raw edge with wonder-under. Am learning Elenore Burn's method with fusible interfacing that sounds like what you're doing.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM

I love this! Thanks so much craftybear! I am still a mess trying to find my way around on the site, I went to the home pg and scrolled
down to find the user define section to join but I can't find it...ugh...what am I doing wrong?
kat
Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 PM

I took a class with Mimi Dietrich this past summer. It was soooo much fun. Mimi is the best! I learned not only Applique but all sorts of hints, tips and trick to get me applique to look it's best. I'm still working on my project from class, only because I've had some obstacles in my life lately and haven't had time to work on it much. But, I'm almost over my obstacles and plan on getting back in the 'groove' of Applique. Get Mimi's books, they teach the basics of Applique, you can't go wrong when trying to learn. The instructions are clear and precise. Mimi's book takes you from the very first steps in preparing your applique pieces......all the way to finishing your project with batting and binding. I think you'll love it! ! !
Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Nice job on this quilt. I love the colors. Yes sails are a little hard to see but still love the pattern and quilting motifs.!
I too agree with the possiblities that are left out there to applique. So much fun.

Originally Posted by MostlyMaja View Post
I like applique because it gives you enormous possibilities for the designs you can use on your quilt. Plus, it is also relaxing to me. Sitting at a machine hurts my back something fierce. I have tried sitting up higher or sitting lower. It doesn't seem to matter how I arrange it, my back hurts after a very short time. So I just lazily hand sew. Knitting and crocheting are all done by hand and I have been doing them for over 30 years, so it doesn't mean much to me to spend more time handsewing than machine sewing.

This is my latest effort in hand applique. I didn't get the color of the sails right, so they don't show up as well as they might.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:23 PM

Default sewing

Enjoying sew yes, I do love to forget the world at times and quilt, and sew.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:34 PM

I have a kitchen hand towel i machine appliqued an apple with leaf.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Patti, do Mimi's book teach machine applique?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie View Post
I would like to also learn to do appliques. Where do I learn how to do appliques.
Do a search for applique and then watch some you tube videos. I learned from a class at a quilt store in maui. Wonderful teacher. Loved it, but as in everything, it takes practice. You could also go to a local quilt store, buy a small project to start with and ask for help on doing applique. This is also what I did when I was having issues with a certain turn, could not get it right. Sharon Pedersen, Sharon Schramber, Eleanor Burns, and many more. Also, Sandpat knows a technique that is really fun and you do not have to fret over stitches so much. It is in the cat swap or dog swap memos unless she is watching this swap. Will see what I can do to find some more info of the name of the technique. That is where I would start though.