Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Aunt Martha iron on transfer won't come out

Aunt Martha iron on transfer won't come out

I used an Aunt Martha iron on embroidery transfer for a hand embroidery project I'm working on and it won't wash out - do you know of any tricks I can try? The transfer is a pink/red dye and I put it on a white cotton fabric. My embroidery floss is also white. It is a large flowered piece I want to use as the center for a patchwork quilt.

I rinsed it in cold water - no luck. I then hand washed it in mild laundry detergent - no luck. Then I tried dish detergent and scrubbed as much as I could without damaging the needlework - no luck. I tried some rubbing alcohol - no luck. I've had it soaking in very hot water with a little bleach and detergent for about 6 hours - it still isn't coming out.

I am hoping there is some kind of home remedy I can use because I live in Ecuador and don't have access to a lot of the commercially available products in the US. I've got a couple of hundred hours into the embroidery and am really, really hoping it can be saved.

Thanks for your help.

that stamp is permanent, meaning it never washes out. usually the thread covers it up.

I hate to say it, but I didn't know those iron on transfers are meant to come out.

That's why I always disliked them when I was a kid and did embroidery. I could always see those awful blue lines.

Maybe someone can help you, though. Did you try hair spray?

Blog Entries
    Go to the Colonial Patterns website. They are the distributors for these transfers.
    http://colonialpatterns.com/
    Scroll to the bottom of the home page, and under "Product Tips and Tricks", there's a link for "How to use Iron-on Transfers". this has some tips, but doesn't sound like there's a magic bullet.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Instead of trying different methods on your finished piece, I would use the transfer on a scrap of the same fabric and test various removal methods on that.

Here is a link to the PDF:
    http://colonialpatterns.com/resource...TipsTricks.pdf

It does say not to use hot water or heat, as that will further set the ink.
    Last edited by Prism99; 11-30-2015 at 03:45 PM.

I agree. Test a piece of scrap with the blue iron on and test that first.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Thank you for the link to colonial, I didn't know they were the parent company and was having a hard time finding information.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Instead of trying different methods on your finished piece, I would use the transfer on a scrap of the same fabric and test various removal methods on that.

Here is a link to the PDF:
    http://colonialpatterns.com/resource...TipsTricks.pdf

It does say not to use hot water or heat, as that will further set the ink.
    As soon as I read that, I dumped the hot water and started running cold. That is a really good idea about testing my removal method on a scrap, I am going to give that a try. We are going to town tomorrow, so I'm going to try and find something that might help. Hopefully, the washing fairies will come tonight and I'll wake up in the morning with white embroidery! (though I seriously doubt it)

I've never tried this method on anything but I saw a spot on tv that you use 2 eggs 1 can of beer......whip together soak items then rinse. They removed coffee from a white and red flag.

I used a lot of transfers for pillowcase embroideries for my hope chest...40+ years ago. They never wash out.
    The work will be lovely in spite so use your treasures with pleasure.

I had iron stains on my portable ironing pad (I know it is not the same but). Bleach, dawn, nothing would take it out. I finally took some lemon juice to it and put it in the sun. You might try that on your scrap. Might not work, but who knows til you try it.

Blog Entries
    I found this thread in which Colonial Patterns suggests placing the piece in direct sunlight to remove transfer ink:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions...e-transfer-ink

A couple of posters in that thread list many things that did not work for them.

pal
    Have you tried peroxide straight from the bottle?
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I hand embroidery, I stitch on one or 2 threads on the outside to cover the ink line. My mother and grandmother always accused me of going outside the boundaries but they never saw my lines of transfer. It also helps if you are able to use an extra ply of floss.
    Last edited by tessagin; 12-02-2015 at 05:39 AM.

Is the fabric thin enough to put a piece of pink behind it? Might camafloge the transfer a little.

Blog Entries
    I love Aunt Martha's transfers - actually, it is the only kind I buy. I use them for making dishtowels and giving the set of seven as as gift. I wash them in warm water in laundry soap (liquid) and rinse in cold water and it always comes out. Have never had a problem, and as a matter of fact, I thought they came out in the wash.

I hope you can get the transfer out, but if you don't, the person that you made the gift for will know that it is a home crafted item made with love and care. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

The only transfers I have washed out are the blue ones like Jack Dempsey. I have use the iron on ones for a long time, and they have never washed out. They are covered by the thread or the liquid paints. They are made to use multi times and the more times you use the transfers, the lighter they get.

Seems like the answer is: Do not use Aunt Martha's Designs.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

She wouldn't want the transfer out until after she had completed them.
    You have to realize some of the options suggested here would totally ruin the fine embroidery threads...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    Have you tried peroxide straight from the bottle?
    This is very risky because peroxide damages fabric. See how Leah Day ruined her beautiful wholecloth quilt with peroxide:
    http://leahday.com/pages/duchess-wholecloth

Blog Entries
    I've never been able to remove iron on transfers. Don't think they were meant to be removed. My stitching always covered the lines. The pre-stamped embroidery pieces (baby quilts) I bought will come out with water.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    Arizona sunshine took mine off...before I was finished!!!

Blog Entries
    Bottle the Arizona sunshine and make a fortune. Sorry couldn't resist it. No idea personally howto remove unless you do a quilt stitch same colour.
    Finished is better than a UFO

It was one of the reasons I loved counted cross stitch when I first learned about it when I was in college--no blue lines!