Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
baby burp cloths >

baby burp cloths

baby burp cloths

Old 06-30-2011, 04:50 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Originally Posted by judykay
What is put in the middle of baby burp cloths so the spit up does not go through the fabric? I have not made any yet but have a shower coming up and would like to make a few out of the same fabric as the quilt I am going to make.

Thanks for any and all ideas...
I made one side cute flannel and the other side was fabric that matches the quilt and/or the theme of baby's room!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 AM

What is put in the middle of baby burp cloths so the spit up does not go through the fabric? I have not made any yet but have a shower coming up and would like to make a few out of the same fabric as the quilt I am going to make.

Thanks for any and all ideas...
I use cloth diapers and then trim with fabric and ribbon. They can be made to match anything or just use scraps of fabric you like with a coordinating grosgrain ribbon. Just cut the fabric wider than the cloth diaper and turn under the edges, and make it about 4-5 inches up the diaper...add a line of ribbon and you're done.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:55 AM

I have made many of these shaped like a giant peanut using flannel for the outside fabrics and cotton batting in the middle. Topstitch all three layers together approx. 5/8" from edge of fabric. Trim batting close to seamline. Then clip the flannel layers about 1/4" apart. When washed, you get a ruffly look. Be sure and sew across the middle of burp cloth to secure fabric layers. QUICK & EASY! Clipping step is quickly done while enjoying a TV program that does not require you to look at the screen constantly or just enjoying music. Mothers of babies love these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:58 AM

I don't plan on making a lot of them so would thin double flannel on the inside work. I was planning on using flannel on the front as well as the back, I figured it would be very soft on the baby's face and would not slip off mom's shoulder but do not know if four layers of flannel would be too much.
I have done this then I sew all around about an inch or so then I rag it. They turn out great. Just an idea. Jan
Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
I used flannel on one side, and toweling on the other. I bought a nice bath towel on clearance. My girls love these, and ask that I make some for every baby shower they go to.
Me too - my daughter loves these ones. I have also used a pretty flannel on one side and a double layer of a plain flannel for the back and middle. These work well, also. I made my daughter receiving blankets and burp cloth sets - for each yard of flannel I get one blanket (~36" x 36" and two burp clothes (flannel front, terry backed.) I surge a rolled hem on the blankets and serge a larger hem on the burp clothes.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dianemarie
I use cute fabric on one side then good quality flannel on the other. Thats all the stitch around the edge after turning it right side out and call it done. My daughters use these over and over and have no problem with leaking through.
This is what I do, too. Need about 9-12" of each fabric and can make 2 matching burp cloths. No batting. I don't shape these to the shoulder as invariably the baby will end up depositing on the sleeve and the extra that hangs over is valuable! Shop the remnant bins for these short pieces--bargains there. Don't put them away when baby begins to outgrow them. They make soft nose-wipers.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 AM

Thirty years ago - gulp - I repurposed COTTON flannel sheets and receiving blankets in rectangular pads. The pads were three layers thick and the seams were enclosed. I am infamous for making things that last....so....I topstitched around the perimeter and then stitched diagonally corner to corner....once each vertically and horizontally.

The original idea was to start out using these as burp pads. When the children were much larger the extra pad was placed between two regular cloth diapers for overnight duty. We had twins and I could not afford the use disposable diapers on a daily basis.

Another mother of twins taught me how to do this. By using the nicest receiving blankets I purchased at garage sales for the outside covering, the pads were inexpensive, attractive, comfortable, and very useful:) I did not feel poor. Thank you Chris B.!!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:31 AM

I use flannel on both sides and have them hem stitched and crochet a cute edge on them. I do the same for blankets. They make a cute baby gift.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by wenot
in the netherlands burpcloths are made from terycloth or thin toweling, so i use that for backing..nothing in between
Great idea!! Thanks!

:thumbup: :lol:
Old 06-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Dkm

I use 3 layers of flannel and one cotton. I didn't do any quilting on them. I didn't wash any for a test, so maybe that is something you should try. I have a pattern somewhere in my files, if you can't find one pm and I'll look for it.