Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Quilt Questions >

Baby Quilt Questions

Baby Quilt Questions

Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Baby Quilt Questions

I am going to make a baby quilt sort of like this one from MSQC (Jenny's tutorial). I have a question about the applique. Has anyone ever just fused the applique pieces on the top but waited until you layered the quilt & then sewed the applique on through all the layers (top, batting & backing)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrfX...em-subs_digest

Another question....I am thinking of stippling the quilt and was wondering if I would stipple through the appliqued flowers or do I stipple around them? If I was able to applique the flowers on through all 3 layers I would not have to stipple on top of the flowers. If I appliqued the flowers on just the top of the quilt (the normal way) I think I would have to stipple through the flowers.

Any suggestions on this? I'm hoping I can get this made in time for the baby shower on Feb. 25 but my materials won't get to me until Feb. 11. I make have to give the mommy an IOU on the quilt if I don't get it finished in time.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

For me it would depend on what stitch I planned to go around the applique with. If I planned just a straight stitch then I would go ahead and appliqué through all 3 layers. If you plan to use a buttonhole or fancy stitch, it might not work well through the thickness.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:37 PM

Thanks, Tartan. I was planning on using my "go to" blanket stitch. I didn't think about how a decorative stitch might not work through all layers. I guess I better do some practice work.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:56 PM

I always make up a sample of exactly what I'm going to be using...fabric, fuseable, batting, backing...and try out what I'm thinking of. Saves a lot of anguish later.
As to the stippling question, I would lean towards outline quilting the petals and stippling around them. I think it would make them stand out better from the quilt.
Pretty quilt.
Watson
Old 02-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

The technique you mention is called Appliquilt, a technique published in some books by Tonee White. You may be able to find more information by doing a search on Appliquilt on the QB (see the search box in upper righthand corner). In any case, it should be do-able.

I'm not sure stippling through appliques would work very well, as in addition to the 4 layers (applique, backing fabric, batting, backing fabric) you would be going through the fusible. If you use a very light fusible such as Misty Fuse, it would not be a problem; however, heavier fusibles could cause a lot of problems.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:31 PM
DJ

I would test the applique fuse technique and product you intend to use. I recently used Heat N' Bond Lite on a king size quilt and thought the applique pieces felt very stiff. I wished I had used a temporary adhesive spray instead so it would have been softer. I also used some of it on a baby quilt and just thought those parts were too stiff.

I used Hobbs 80/20 batting and stippled around the appliques. I think it was the batting that made the appliques puff up as much as they did. It was a very nice effect that I probably couldn't have gotten with something like Warm and White/Natural.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Look into raw edge appliqué... I sometimes quilt prior to applying the appliqué but have never quilted over it. I go around each piece at least 4 times with a FMQ stitch.

One trick to the iron on fusible is to cut out the middle of it before you fuse it to the fabric taking the stickiness and hardness out of the middle.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 PM

use a light wt Misty Fuse for your applique and then your blanket stitch. Or if you want the edges to be turned under, sew that French Fuse (? think that's the name) which is a light wt. knit fusible--you can sew it to the applique right sides together, slit the Fusible and flip and press(use a pressing sheet)

I rarely quilt though an applique unless I'm adding to the design (i.e. pebbling in a flower center, or vein lines in a leaf, etc).
Old 02-07-2017, 05:19 AM

I once judged a local quilt show and two perfectly becutiful quilts were ruined, in my opinion, by quilting through the appliques.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:19 AM

I do a lot of appliques on kids quilts. I use Heat and Bond Lite, usually with a blanket stitch over the raw edge and then quilt around the edges of the applique when I quilt the entire quilt. Because I sometimes do rather large appliques I quilt through them to highlight the details with no problem using FMQing. Washing them softens the stiffness.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567707[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilting-elis-name-banner.jpg   dscf5288.jpg