Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back from quilters with tension issues >

Back from quilters with tension issues

Back from quilters with tension issues

Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Missi
Oh what do I do.

I just got four quilts back from my long armer (sp?) and the tension on them is all off. One of them is horrible and I mentioned it to her when she dropped it off and she said with variegated thread she has that problem. Even the one with solid thread has issues. She has great turn around about a month so I can't complain there.

Do I give her another chance, find someone else. I have seen other quilts she's done and they don't have issues.

The back of the one that is really bad has a plaid pattern so the poor tension issues don't scream and a non-quilter wouldn't notice it. I will try and get pics posted this week.
Sounds like she is NOT a Long Arm Quilter -If 2 out of 4 quilts aren't right - I would find someone else - I am sure she charged you a pretty penny to quilt them - Quilting makes or breaks the quilt - great turn around time is not the issue, it is the quality of her work - Which doesn't seem to be that great.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 PM

I would be inclined to find another.
We had a lady in our area who set - up a long arm service.She had no experience in sewing or quilting and many quilts came back with holes or gathers. An experienced quilter would be able to tell if the quilt was square etc, and also not leave the machine unsupervised - at least in the early stages. She is not in business any more and that is how it should be with your lady if customers don't get what they pay for.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM

I would find another longarmer. She should return your money. It will hurt her business in the end.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM

She knows I am a quilter. I am giving the one away with the bad tension issues. It is a baby quilt
One of the problems is that with bad tension, when you wash it it might pull out or look worse.
She needs to refund your money or re-do the whole lot of quilts. If not, tell her you will pass her name on to all of us here and report her to the BBB.
Don't kid yourself, even Walmart has a return policy or money back if not satisfied!! she needs to be called into account.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Do not use her again and demand some of your money back. Like someone said, she knew it wasn't right and if she can get by she will. I also wouldn't recommend her and word of mouth is the best or worst advertising.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 PM

As a professional longarm quilter I know that tension can be a problem for all of us. However, I would never give a quilt back to a customer knowing the tension was off when I was quilting. I don't like to frog a quilt, but that is what I've had to do (2 borders of a queen-sized quilt) because they have to pass MY standards before I'll give them to a customer. Perhaps this quilter's standards are lower than yours, so continuing to go to her will only result in more disappointment for you.

Before I got a longarm I had another longarm quilter quilted my first quilt...she was using metallic thread on part of it and the tension was awful...she apologized when she returned the quilt and did not charge me for the quilting. It was a good example for me - if the quilting is crappy, I frog and re-quilt or give it back at no charge. I choose to frog and figure out my tension problems...I don't want crappy quilting out there with my name on it!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks for this info as I live down the road on #41 and didn't know anyone was so close.

Too bad for the other lady who had bad luck with workmanship.

quote=DianneRab]Ladies I have the best long arm quilter in the world. She lives on Ft myers beach in Florida but happy to quilt for anyone anywhere with quick turnaround and quite often she will undo portions of the quilts I give her because they are not quite perfect. She is amazing! Her quilts are beautiful and have won ribbons. Her name is Vicki and she is [email protected] I cannot say enough good things about her. Somewhere on here is the Kfasset quilt she quilted for me. Here is her phone # please give her a call she is extremely reasonable and fun the work with. We are not related and I don't get a "kick" for recommending her. Give her a shout you will be really glad you did.

Beachside Quilter, L.C.C.
18420 Deep Passage Lane
Fort Myers Beach, FL 33931

Phone:(239) 209-0990
Email:[email protected][/quote]
Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM

I agree with bellaboo.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Oh what do I do.

I have seen other quilts she's done and they don't have issues.
Can you borrow a couple of those well done quilts you've seen and take them along with yours to show why you are dissatisfied and the quality of work you expected to pay for?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM

dont give her another chance , seems like she doesnt care about her work or yours as a matter of fact i would ask for some if not all of my money back and i guarentee she would of not left my sight when she showed up with the quilts without a giving me a refund and having to listen to a harsh word or 2 on how to finish a quilt and a lesson on making the customer happy