Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back from quilters with tension issues >

Back from quilters with tension issues

Back from quilters with tension issues

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Everyone thank you for your replies. Unfortunately I can't bitch loud at guild as she is the guild Vice President. When I show the top to people and they ohh and I ahh i do point out the crappy LA job and tell them how disappointed I am and who did it. I also will NOT use her again that is for sure. I might try and guilt trip her into quilting two baby quilts for the guild donation to the hospital.

I also made the labels last night for the quilts and plan on entering one or two of them in the fair so I listed her name on the label. That might be kind of katty but last year at the fair I was knocked down a ribbon for "my choice" of quilting design when the category was pieced quilt. That's another whole story.

I will try and remember to take pics when I am home for lunch.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Karyn
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
That is not acceptable. She is having problems and she is aware of it but doesn't seem to care.
Let me run something by all of you. A friend of mine gave a couple of quilts to a friend that does LA quilting before Thanksgiving 2009, still doesn't have them done. I know she has put her off because she is a friend. If it was me, I would have told her to give them back. She has said jokingly that she didn't know whether to get paid for quilting or charge her 'rent'.
I think my friend has been more than patient- What would y'all do?
2009? Get them back and start over!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
If she knows she has issues with that thread type she should not use it, or learn to make the adjustments. If she has been doing them long enough to know she has issues, she has been doing them long enough to know to fix it or let her customers know of the issues first and let them decide.

I am a new longarmer in business to not only make money, but to especially to satisfy my customers I take great efforts to make sure things are right. I also have had issues with the variegated threads, but have learned to adjust the tension to make them work. I know the first quilt I did for practice was not the best, but it was practice and my first.

I would find another longarmer who will take pride in her/his work and make sure the work is worthy of the work put into by the piecer, and to being used, abused, shown off and to have customers returning.

Good luck. {{Hugs}}

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
Perfectly said. My thoughts and feelings exactly.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Unacceptable ... find a NEW quilter !! (and warn others about the poor quality of her work)
She should have mentioned it to YOU. There's no way you should get FOUR quilts back, ALL with tension problems ?? ONE is one too many. She should have stopped & corrected after the 1st. Sounds like she has no quality check, or doesn't care ... just rush it out for the $$.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM

I agree with Quilting Grannie. I have a mid arm and do a little work for customers. I know a tension issue can slip up on you and don't realize it, but when you do, you take it out and do it over, before you let the customer have the quilt back. This gal doesn't seem to care if her tension is bad or learning how to correct it. I'd tell her that you will not be using her again and that she may not receive the kind of advertizing she wants because of the way your quilts were returned and her unwillingness to make things right. You gave her a chance to make it right, on 4 quilts, and she chose not too. I'd find someone else who cares about her/his work and the customers they are working for. So sorry this happened.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM

Did you call her privately after she dropped them off and you had a chance to really look them over and say that "all these quilts are totally unacceptable and I want them redone or my money returned"?

Causally mentioning something is not the same as being nice but firm. If you were too casual she might think you are OK with them.

Originally Posted by Missi
Oh what do I do.

I just got four quilts back from my long armer (sp?) and the tension on them is all off. One of them is horrible and I mentioned it to her when she dropped it off and she said with variegated thread she has that problem. Even the one with solid thread has issues. She has great turn around about a month so I can't complain there.

Do I give her another chance, find someone else. I have seen other quilts she's done and they don't have issues.

The back of the one that is really bad has a plaid pattern so the poor tension issues don't scream and a non-quilter wouldn't notice it. I will try and get pics posted this week.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by thseabreze
I would have her do them over, then find someone else next time.
I would only let her frog the bad parts! NOT re-do!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM

I would not use her again. And your not. I wouldn't say anything to her and when and if she asks who's doing long arming. Then you can tactfully tell her why you have changed. I do my own. But would never think of doing some one elses.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 AM

I'm new to all of this. I do all of my own hand stitched quilting but she didn't seem to care that she has messed up 4 of your quilts. I would find someone else but would probably call her and tell her why you are going to leave her. Maybe she will think about these things before she messes up someone else's quilts.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM

My advice is NOT to give her another chance. I would also let her know how dissatisfied you are.