Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back from quilters with tension issues >

Back from quilters with tension issues

Back from quilters with tension issues

Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Nope...no second, third, or any other chances...she already did her bit. Heck, I'd take it to the guild meeting right now because of her lousy attitude. I'm tired of people wanting to take my money or time with no care about what I'm getting in return- poor product or service.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 AM

I would say to steer clear of her...we all spend too much time and energy on our beloved quilt tops to have them given less than a long armer's best attempt.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 AM

I'm new to quilting and just learning and I assure you I would notice the difference if something was wrong.

NO I would not give her a second chance. If you run a business giving great customer service should be a priority. 100% satisfaction and guarantee should be the first policy regarding a customer is totally satisfied. I would let her know of my dissatisfaction and try and get it resolved and if I couldn't I would let her know her services are no longer required and I would put it out there for my friends and family to not use her,,,,, not if they want it done right.

I learned over the years when I was in retail and direct sales that word of mouth can ruin one's business faster if a customer is not satisfied and it cannot be resolved than if you have one satisfied customer.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 AM

I meant to say in the last sentence "I learned over the years when I was in retail and direct sales that word of mouth can ruin one's business faster if a customer is not satisfied and it cannot be resolved than if you have one thousand satisfied customer.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 AM

I quilt for people and I would never give a quilt back that looked like what your describing. I alway check the bottom each time I roll the quilt. Get your money back so you can rip out and have someone else quilt.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Find another longarm quilter. I would really be upset if she knew she had a problem and just went on quilting.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Missi
Oh what do I do.

I just got four quilts back from my long armer (sp?) and the tension on them is all off. One of them is horrible and I mentioned it to her when she dropped it off and she said with variegated thread she has that problem. Even the one with solid thread has issues. She has great turn around about a month so I can't complain there.

Do I give her another chance, find someone else. I have seen other quilts she's done and they don't have issues.

The back of the one that is really bad has a plaid pattern so the poor tension issues don't scream and a non-quilter wouldn't notice it. I will try and get pics posted this week.
What was your agreement when you gave them to her? I've not had a quilt longarmed, but I'm assuming there is some sort of satisfaction guarantee, either to complete the work to your satisfaction or give you all or some of your money back. Did you see samples of her work beforehand, and what did THEY look like? I would think if these things were discussed, you have some basis for complaint. But if you just handed them over....it might be a lesson for the next time.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM

I would find another longarmer. She knew there was a problem and should have stopped on the first one when it was discovered.

I do my own quilting on my LQS's Tin Lizzie and the owner always checks the tension and all the settings when the bobbin is changed and when setting it up. If there's a problem it's corrected then not when it's too late.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Late Bloomer
This is the main reason I would never use a longarm quilter.I am a hand quilter and am horrified by the excessive quilting some longarmers use on quilts. It is almost difficult to see the actual piecing when it is just covered with stitches. To me, this totally destroys the beauty of a quilt and does nothing to enhance it. I also heard horror stories so I think I will stick with my slow, but sure method of handquilting thank you very much! Most longarmers do not understand that less is more and there really is no need to cover a beautiful quilt with the scribbling that is called quilting. Sorry for the soapbox but it is a huge pet peeve of mine. There are good longarmers, but there are a lot of the other kind out there too.
First, to the above, a good longarmer will take your opinions about density of quilting into consideration when choosing a design. It's YOUR quilt, and you should get it back the way you want it. Density is a matter of choice, and I have customers that run the whole range, and their choices have also changed over the past few years and from quilt to quilt.

In December, one of my ladies made some table runners with curved piecing for friends of hers. While she is an extremely experienced quilter making over 12 quilts a year, she struggled with the curved piecing and had lots of cups and waves. She was very unhappy! I told her that I can quilt 'quilt that out', but it would take lots of quilting (which is normally not her preference) and she was fine. When the quilts were done she was thrilled and the table runners looked nice and flat.

Secondly, to the matter at hand, FIND ANOTHER LAer!! There are enough of us out here that you will be able to find someone who does a good job AND doesn't mess with your artistic harmony.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154853.jpe   attachment-154854.jpe  
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
That is not acceptable. She is having problems and she is aware of it but doesn't seem to care.
Let me run something by all of you. A friend of mine gave a couple of quilts to a friend that does LA quilting before Thanksgiving 2009, still doesn't have them done. I know she has put her off because she is a friend. If it was me, I would have told her to give them back. She has said jokingly that she didn't know whether to get paid for quilting or charge her 'rent'.
I think my friend has been more than patient- What would y'all do?