Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL >

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Old 12-31-2009, 05:21 PM

I gave my DSIL a quilt for her 50th Birthday, well I am hosed, as everyone who turns 50 is going to want one! Well at least that is only one every other year for the next couple of years...not Eight in one year yeesh!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:43 PM

I agree unless you sew,quilt or do some other type of crafts no one has a clue on the time and money it takes.
I did 2 baby quilts which I did large so they wouldn't out grow instantly. So both were half of a twin size.
I figured since I did them very special with applique etc I had over 50 hours on each. The people loved them but didn't have a clue in the amount of work that went into them.
I finished a circle quilt for our doctor and it took forever and 30 yards of fabric. I have decided not to figure the time and money.
I have decided it's good I love to do it so it doesn't seem so over whelming . Happy New year to all kjym Kathy
Also I'm almost over the "crude" after 5 weeks.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

All three of my kids and 6 Grandkids have at least one and a couple have four and all have a comforter also. Two Step-Grandkids have a comforter. I have given to lots of people I thought were deserving of a quilt and not minded a bit, even paid U.P.S. charge to send seven to them. I have been quilting for about 44 years and since I machine quilt only I am able to make them faster and now I don't have any one else to give them to. It is very expensive and I usually use Wal Mart Fabrics which is cheaper to give away and I make Baby sized or bed size. I use pattern and colors I have or like. I am generous and love to pick and choose. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Banned

Wow, this topic really did hit a nerve! I have used the same approach as some of you. I'll let them know that if they want a quilt, I'll be happy to go shopping with them, then they can come over on Wednesday nights (I have two sewing machines set up in my sewing room...) and I will help them make it, meaning, I will show them what to do, maybe help pin and press, while I am working on my own project. One or two of my sisters have taken me up on the offer, even a niece. Ü For acquaintances, I suggest that they join our local quilt guild.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 AM

How well we quilters know this story. I love the fact that the quilts are loved but now they are even asking for certain types and most of my family has at least 3 quilts and I have told them I am only making wall hangings or baby quilts now as they are getting too bullky for me. They want to know how I can do that!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:27 AM

This year I made a quilt for a family member, who has not been the kindest to me in the years gone by, and they returned such appreciation and thankfulness!! I had a feeling it would bring this kind of response and I have no regrets for bringing out the long needed ***** I'm lost for words but I think you know what I mean.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks for sharing this. It expresses something I would like to say and don't have words for either! :-)
Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM

Wow, this has been a very interesting thread. I feel very lucky that all my quilts are appreciated. I've made each of my siblings a quilt, some more than one. Each baby in our family, of course my DM, children, GC and some of my nieces and nephews. I have 18 queen plus size and several lap quilts for myself. Not to mention all my wall hangings. Every year I made a Navitity wall hanging as a door prize for my church. I don't think I've given one away that I hasn't been appreciated. I've even done alot for friends. I made a quilt for auction one year and it sold very well. My BFF wanted it and offered a $100 to the woman that had bought it and she would not sell it even to make a profit. BOY oh BOY, I sure hope after my quilts get to their new home I would not be disappointed to visit.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by granny216
How well we quilters know this story. I love the fact that the quilts are loved but now they are even asking for certain types and most of my family has at least 3 quilts and I have told them I am only making wall hangings or baby quilts now as they are getting too bullky for me. They want to know how I can do that!
Another approach is to tell them you'll be glad to trade them a quilt for "X", with X being something they own that is particularly dear to them, like the grandfather clock they inherited from their parents, or that beautiful sapphire & diamond ring. That ought to shut them up.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:53 AM

Ignore manipulators like your SIL. I say she deserves to be put at the BOTTOM of your list. Pardon me if I sound mean, but if you bend to her hot wind, you'll hate yourself while you're making a quilt for her.