Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL >

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL

Old 01-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Sewjoyce - it WAS rude of her to not thank you for the breast cancer quilt you made for her. But, as a breast cancer survivor, here's a little insight from my point of view, and it may be heres as well.

I don't need a daily reminder of my cancer. And I'm getting tired of people greeting me with 'How are you?' They mean well, but it's a reminder, too.

Most days, I'm able to get through the day without remembering the tough year I went through, and that's a GOOD thing. I still go to breast cancer support group meetings, and a lot of my BCSG buddies feel the same way.

While you're going through treatment, it's great to have people be supportive and ask how you feel, and, better yet, for them to jump in and do things for you. But when you're finished, and have regained your strength, you pretty much don't like to be reminded. - except when you go to your 3 month or 6 month or annual checks with your oncologist. It's ok for him to ask how you're feeling!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:24 AM

As I have gotten older I have i hope got wiser.... I can say no...no time , or i just don't want to,..I have a neighbor who asked my daughter...who simply told her she doesn't like you that much. People can't mind read, no explanation, just no.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:45 AM

This has been a good thread. I also enjoy giving to ppl that I know will appreciate the love, hours, and cost involved in making a quilt...or any handmade gift!!!

Two examples I have of "no clue"....
1) My boss asked me how much I would charge to make one that she could raffle off for PR for us. I told her she couldn't afford what I would charge....consequently, she wouldn't be making any $$$ from raffling it either!!
2) The secretary at our church heard about a tentative "fun day" several quilters in our congregation had planned before C'mas. She called and asked if we would make a quilt for each of two very elderly members that can no longer attend church...for C'mas gifts!! 2 quilts in one day? With so much going on coming up to C'mas, we ended up with only 2 quilters. Needless to say, we turned her down!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
Originally Posted by momto4
After seeing my fiances quilt and some of the Christmas gifts that I gave away everyone wants a quilt now lol. I better get super busy if im going to make enough gifts for NEXT Christmas lol. Very happy that they all like them but still lol. Has this happened to ya'll before?
Yes and it gets bigger every year. It is to the point of I really want to do some things for myself again. But if you do one Grdkid then you have todo the rest. Do on DD and Her DH then there is my other DD &Her DH. Now it is the SILs Their Grnd.Kids. Or My 2 SIL and their KIds. MY Friends it goes on and on :shock: :lol: :lol: I can never catch up and probably never will. But I don't care.

BillsBonBpm

I like the graduation quilts because seldom do I need more than one or two at a time and I know well in advance when they will be graduating, so have time to plan and sew them. I give a lot of fleece backed "utility" quilts to "shirt tail" family. They appreciate them and that makes it worthwhile.

I hope your SIL was just "acting". I agree with the rest--she'd have to wait quite awhile. RSM
Old 01-01-2010, 05:18 PM

I had a gal (who could afford to buy a hand made quilt) say I'll bet you could sell a lot of those. I told her I didn't sell them as I doubt anyone would want to pay what they are worth. The one she looked at was a child's blanket and I told her the material alone cost $75 and I had about 25 hours or more work in it. She never said another thing. But this is a similar response that I get from people wo haven't a clue. I have made at least 50 quilts for nieces and nephews and special friends. I starte out with simple block quilts and prequilted material, tying them but I now am making a tumbling blocks queen size quilt for my son. If he ever gets done with college, I promise to have it done by then. But it sure is beginning to look great.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheesh
I had a gal (who could afford to buy a hand made quilt) say I'll bet you could sell a lot of those. I told her I didn't sell them as I doubt anyone would want to pay what they are worth. The one she looked at was a child's blanket and I told her the material alone cost $75 and I had about 25 hours or more work in it. She never said another thing. But this is a similar response that I get from people who haven't a clue.
You hit the nail on the head, the ole "Bed in a bag" attitude.

Billy
Old 01-01-2010, 06:55 PM

I agree with you all that people have no idea the time and money that is put into a quilt. I give most of my quilts away as gifts because I don't want to get upset when they offer me $25.oo for a queen size quilt. Ha! Ha!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Okay, now I havew a dilemma. There are several ladies at church who saw a small wallhanging that I did and want to buy one from me. There are no color or pattern restrictions but noew I just don't know what to do. I was ctually contemplating doing this for them b/c I'm unemployed but I also didn't know what to charge them either. I also have a friend who's urging me to do this for them and one for her. She's also willing to pay. Any ideas out there??

Chris
Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Can they afford what it is woth. You probably can't get what you were making while working. But you have an idea how long it took to make the first one and the cost of materials, so if you have the nerve, let them know what you feel is a fair price. Otherwise you might as well lay down and be a rug. Or if they have srvices they could trade. I hate cleaning house so I'd make a quilt for someone to come in for a fair equity in hours. Good luck. At the very least, get the cost of materilas at full price, not the price you fight to find at sale price.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the advice. I worked in fits and starts on the one most saw but do have rough idea of amount of time and fabric it required. It would be difficult to asess a fair market value to the quilt but HATE being a doormat too. Will need to think on this more and thanks for the advice. :)
Originally Posted by Sheesh
Can they afford what it is woth. You probably can't get what you were making while working. But you have an idea how long it took to make the first one and the cost of materials, so if you have the nerve, let them know what you feel is a fair price. Otherwise you might as well lay down and be a rug. Or if they have srvices they could trade. I hate cleaning house so I'd make a quilt for someone to come in for a fair equity in hours. Good luck. At the very least, get the cost of materilas at full price, not the price you fight to find at sale price.