Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey Home Quilter - Opinions on??? >

Bailey Home Quilter - Opinions on???

Bailey Home Quilter - Opinions on???

Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned

JJs, I think we're in agreement on certain points; I'm just pointing out to the OP that you do get what you pay for. The Bailey is a stretched machine, with things added on to it to make it a mid-arm; you may not like my referring to it as "cobbled together", but the reality is that it is something that was not originally manufactured as a mid-arm, and has been modified to be so; and some elements of those "modifications" do make it appear cobbled-together, in my opinion. And sorry, but $2500 IS a major purchase for a lot of people, and it's only fair that when people ask about it, that we give as much information as possible.

You like the Bailey. I like the Bailey. My pointing out some of the possible flaws of it is no reflection on you and your appreciation of the machine. I do feel that I have the right to give my personal opinion on it, and you should not take that personally, IMHO.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the input. I have reviewed the Baileys site, where it does tell that it is a modified machine, and it does show pictures of it (I did notice the PVC handles, which is not aesthetically pleasing as other machines, but I could deal with that). For me $2500 is something I would consider for a long time, but right now the other alternative is a Queen Quilter for $4000. Both amounts make me cringe, but since I am not a real prolific quilter at this time (have yet to make a full size quilt, 2 large lap/twins under my belt) I am very hesitant to spend the larger amount. Even spending $1900 for my used Bernina 440QE and $600 more for an embroidery module (new) I feel like I should be quilting and embroidering 24/7 to justify the expense (just me, no one else has suggested that :shock: ) I guess that is a left over knee jerk reaction from earlier in our marriage when I had to budget 6 months for a bra! :oops: Also, with the economy in the state it is, and being 54 I realize that anything could happen and I want to make sure I get the most for what I can spend.

Your information is very helpful, please keep it coming!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:07 AM
JJs
Banned

believe me, we've "been there, done that, got the tshirt" with the budget (we've been married going on 45 years after all.... the deal with DH getting laid off when I was pregnant, laid off with 3 kids in school, no money for bills let alone food, etc etc - did all that.... so don't think we have money to toss around - if we did, I'd have a big fancy machine...
That said - the Bailey will certainly make quilts - and just like any other quilting machine where the operator is the one moving the machine, it's up to YOU how the quilt looks - the only way you get 'perfect' is one of those $$$45,000+ jobbies with a computer running it... not something most of us can afford...
I'm just saying that in this day and age, with what stuff costs, $2500 is NOT an outrageous amount for a really neat way to get your quilts done. I think the only other way any less $$ is one of the 9" machines and I can't see wasting the time, effort or money on them. We looked at them at the various quilt shops and frankly weren't impressed. We (meaning DH and I) knew we wanted something that still had room to maneuver after rolling a quilt on the rail.
Even the machines stretched from the Singer 201s cost more than a Bailey and the Bailey is a new machine.
Yes, I wish it ran faster, but in the overall scheme of things that's about the only major thing I'd change for the money... I also wish I did have thousands more to spend but that ain't happening...

I like to quilt - (make tops) I had a few done at the lqs and when I looked at the cost of having quilts done and then the $2500 for the 15" Bailey I figured I could do a whole bunch more quilts for the money....

You can only spend the money once (never mind that it can be taxed 20 gazillion times) - and you have several choices:
1. Get a Bailey
2. Get one of the 9" machines
3. Get a more expensive machine
4. Don't get anything...

nobody is making you make a decision, I'm just telling you that *I* am happy with my Bailey - sure I'd be even more happy with more "bells and whistles" but I'd also have to pay more money for the said bells and whistles...
I was willing to bypass those to get a machine with a long enough throat area to actually use....
Old 03-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
I like to quilt - (make tops) I had a few done at the lqs and when I looked at the cost of having quilts done and then the $2500 for the 15" Bailey I figured I could do a whole bunch more quilts for the money.... I was willing to bypass those to get a machine with a long enough throat area to actually use....
You are right about having a quilt done at a LQS, and in addition, I like the ability to do the quilt when I want and to say, "I did it all!" 'Course, that's just me :wink: . I think that the LA quilters do absolutely stupendous work, it makes me drool, but I just want my family to be wrapped in my love and it doesn't have to be perfect to do that :)

You said
I was willing to bypass those to get a machine with a long enough throat area to actually use
....this is about where I am.

Thank you so much for the info.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:02 PM

I realize we're talking about a good bit of money here, but have you considered the Voyager 17? Its a 17 inch throat and if you get the cheaper frame I think total cost is somewhere around $4000, but the extra throat space might be worth it??? your call, but it might be worth checking out. I don't have one, but have a friend that does and its pretty simple to use. I hope to get one someday...
Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 PM

I have an option to get a used Queen Quilter and frame from my Bernina dealer for $3900, but even though $2500 isn't that much less, it makes it more in the range I might be able to squeeze out. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:31 PM

great info
Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 PM

Have you looked at the nolting, it is a free motion , which means its on a table and you are doing the quilting yourself. Bailey's have a great rep, but again have to have it set up like a long arm, I don't have the space for that so have been looking at other options.