Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bailey's Home Quilter >

Bailey's Home Quilter

Bailey's Home Quilter

Old 10-14-2011, 09:01 AM

Hi
I have a New Joy Gold Standard frame, and am considering getting a small Baileys (perhaps the 13). The Gold Standard is the longest frame I can set up in the space I have available (is the 7-1/2 foot set-up). I am very interested in hearing more about any modifications you've made to your machine or frame to get them to mesh with each other. Maybe I could even come see your set-up -- I live in Tallahassee, and visit G-ville fairly often -- my daughter lives there. I am new to the Quilting Board, so not quite sure how to work it all, but we could discuss details in a private excahnge of e-mails. Many many thanks.

Originally Posted by janny40
I just bought the Bailey's home quilter. I just finished my first quilt on my machine quilting frame. I got a new joy quilting frame. The machine is bigger then the space on the quilting frame. If I elevated the machine a little bit I would get the whole space the quilting frame has. I have a shelf on top which gets in the way of the controls that are on the machine to stop and start the machine and they would bump into the shelf and it will start sewing which is annoying as far as the quilting frame goes. I've had the sewing machine almost a week now and enjoying it. I think a lot of it is a matter of getting use to it and what not to do. Mine is a 15 inch one.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:36 AM

Wink Baileys Home Quilter 13

Ahhh finally found ladies who actually own the baileys. Trying to get a handle on how good the machine is compared to the top of the line machines. Just reading the posts has now convinced me to buy my Baileys. Yesterday had a few that did not like it, but i think they liked the bell and whistles that come with the other machines, i don't care about fancy.....i want a work horse !!! I love to quilt and have made many on my regular singer, had to make large quilts in strips then put them together, the Baileys 13 will be perfect for me. Thank you ladies for the info.......i am now on cloud 9. As my kids would say...Mad luv to ya
Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 AM

I got a Bailey's Pro 15 about 4 years ago. I will say there is a big learning curve, but I would imagine that applies to any quilter one would buy. When I was at the point of wondering why I got it, I started calling the company and the gentleman was fantastic. He walked me through everything trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. It basically came down to the wrong needle size and incorrect bobbin tension. I love the machine. It doesn't have any bells and whistles, is a basic quilter, but it does come with a stitch regulator. My problem is controlling my own movements.
It is a workhorse of a machine. I am so happy that I have it.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM

I do have a question for any other Bailey users out there. When the machine came, there is an itty-bitty black band on the little arm that moves up and down and carries the thread. I've always had that on there as it seems the thread can pop out without it. Alas, this morning mine broke and I don't have any others. Any suggestions from anyone on what to use?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 PM

I put a bunch of plain tape around mine. It seems to hold up ok for me. I know others have gotten some kind of rings from home depot or lowes for theres
Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 AM

I just ordered this package. I've received the machine so far and am waiting for the frame. I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to using it. It was the cheapest way for me to get a long arm and frame.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 AM

I joined the group and did a lot of research on it. It seemed really nice but in the end I decided to go with the Sweet 16, just because I knew standing would be a problem for me. I have chronic pain and I really can't stand for long. If that isn't a problem for you I would say go ahead. It's easy to research online. Best wishes.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy2201 View Post
I put a bunch of plain tape around mine. It seems to hold up ok for me. I know others have gotten some kind of rings from home depot or lowes for theres
That is exactly what I did. Actually, I called the company and the gentleman there suggested the tape. He said they quit using the black bands that came with mine and are now sending tiny o rings. He did say you can't get the correct size at any store so he offered to send a package. No charge even. It just amazes me that he is always ready and willing to answer questions and to be of great service.

Another question:
On the frame, the machine slides or rolls over 2 rails. For the most part, mine glides very smoothly, easily. What I have noticed is, at one point there is a very slight depression as if something heavy was laid on the rail. I can barely feel it when I run a finger over it, but it is enough to cause the machine to catch and then sort of jump over the spot. I can't do smooth quilting in that area. Does anyone know of any way to repair the spot? Maybe a hairdryer would be enough but not too much heat to cause the area to expand a touch?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jratcliff View Post
I do have a question for any other Bailey users out there. When the machine came, there is an itty-bitty black band on the little arm that moves up and down and carries the thread. I've always had that on there as it seems the thread can pop out without it. Alas, this morning mine broke and I don't have any others. Any suggestions from anyone on what to use?
Call the Bailey company and they will likely send you another.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM

After a looong learning curve, I like my 15" inch Bailey. Someday I may upgrade to a Ken or a Gammill, but the Bailey does what I need just fine. I did make the tray, there's a link to that on this site somewhere. I do pantographs and freestyle. Do check out the Yahoo group.