Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting pins are not created equal.  Please help >

Basting pins are not created equal. Please help

Basting pins are not created equal. Please help

Old 07-17-2009, 05:46 AM

On my first few quilts I used the quilting pins (long ones with the flat yellow heads), but after getting stuck by them MANY times while quilting I quickly changed to a different methodology. I got some large safety pins (#2s, I think), and they were a great improvement. But they were the straight ones, so distorted the fabric some. I then got some of the large curved safety pins, and they're great. It is MUCH easier to pin the fabric since they curve in to gather the layers as you insert them and they don't distort the layers near as much as the straight safety pins.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Banned

i only use curved, steel, i believe its size 2. they're very small.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:27 AM

My pins are all curved. I have two sizes - smaller and larger - and it depends on how dense my quilt is which size I use. My pins are all stored open and I simply dump a pile on the quilt and shake them apart.
BUT, I HATE pinning and think I'll try spray basting.

Here's a great pinning tip from KLue
http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/20874.page
Old 07-17-2009, 07:36 AM

I don't know what size mine are but they're about 1-1 1/4 inch and curved, they don't makw a big hole in the fabric and I have a tool I forgot what it's called but it's a small metal rod inside a wooden handle, the rod has grooves in it and you use it to open and close the pins so your finger doesn't get sore. I thought those pin jackets were for marking spots that you needed to go back to later for whatever reason.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

It use this set up and wouldn't pin or unpin hundreds of pins without the tool or the covers. And the pins do not get tangled when tossed together. That saves me so much frustration.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=4840
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I use #2 safety pins and have never had a problem (except breaking my nails :lol: )
I might give the #2's a try, but so far the #1's are doing pretty good. Maybe it's because my quilts haven't been terribly thick. I usually use W & N batting. Thanks for your input. :)
Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
On my first few quilts I used the quilting pins (long ones with the flat yellow heads), but after getting stuck by them MANY times while quilting I quickly changed to a different methodology. I got some large safety pins (#2s, I think), and they were a great improvement. But they were the straight ones, so distorted the fabric some. I then got some of the large curved safety pins, and they're great. It is MUCH easier to pin the fabric since they curve in to gather the layers as you insert them and they don't distort the layers near as much as the straight safety pins.
Thanks Eddie, sounds like you've already "been there, done that" and are wisely sharing your gnarly pin scratching experiences with us - hopefully before some folks prickle themselves to the point of bleeding on their quilts! :cry:
Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i only use curved, steel, i believe its size 2. they're very small.
Thanks Klue,

Have you ever heard of steel causing any problems if left in quilts too long? Or? Why do you suppose this other company selling the brass ones is touting them as being the "safe for your quilts" pin? :?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
My pins are all curved. I have two sizes - smaller and larger - and it depends on how dense my quilt is which size I use. My pins are all stored open and I simply dump a pile on the quilt and shake them apart.
BUT, I HATE pinning and think I'll try spray basting.

Here's a great pinning tip from KLue
http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/20874.page
Thanks Barbara. I dump my pins out, too on my quilt, always leaving them open between uses.

I went the spray basting route first, and I do like it, especially for the smaller projects. I found it a bit unwieldly for the larger quilts, tho. This quilt I'm working on now is actually my first large project basted entirely with pins. So, depending on well this goes, I may be right back with the spray. :lol:

Thanks too, for sharing the link to Klue's marble idea. That is really neat!
I've lost plenty of my own marbles, LOL, so probably wouldn't miss one more. :lol:
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I don't know what size mine are but they're about 1-1 1/4 inch and curved, they don't makw a big hole in the fabric and I have a tool I forgot what it's called but it's a small metal rod inside a wooden handle, the rod has grooves in it and you use it to open and close the pins so your finger doesn't get sore. I thought those pin jackets were for marking spots that you needed to go back to later for whatever reason.
Hi Kathy,

Sounds like you're using the Kwik Klip, as am I. What a wonderful too! Pinning is SO much easier for my arthritic and weak hands with this tool. :D
Those nifty pin holders make it SO much easier to pick up my pins. Without them, I probably wouldn't be able to pin baste at all. :wink: