Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting pins are not created equal.  Please help >

Basting pins are not created equal. Please help

Basting pins are not created equal. Please help

Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
It use this set up and wouldn't pin or unpin hundreds of pins without the tool or the covers. And the pins do not get tangled when tossed together. That saves me so much frustration.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=4840
Same here. These tools are the ONLY way I can pin baste due to weak and arthritic hands. Praises be to the developers of those great tools!!! Thanks for sharing. :)
Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i only use curved, steel, i believe its size 2. they're very small.
Thanks Klue,

Have you ever heard of steel causing any problems if left in quilts too long? Or? Why do you suppose this other company selling the brass ones is touting them as being the "safe for your quilts" pin? :?
no i've never had a problem. the longest i ever had a quilt pinned was 8 months. i actually had to go buy more pins because i left them in that quilt for so long.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I use curved steel ones. I open and close them with my hands. Have not yet gotten to the point where it is a problem for my hands. I guess I am lucky there. As to brand name, I just get what I feel I can afford.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

I switched from the straight safety pins to the curved ones a long time ago. The curve makes passing through all layers much easier and more reliable. WIth the straight pins, I always had to lift the quilt or distort my hands. Don't know what size I have - they are relatively small and they go through the layers quite well.

Using the tool (looks like a blunt screwdriver) helps stress on closing the pins.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

#1 and curved. #2 is too large but can be used if you need them. I just liked the shorter ones.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:51 PM

I love the Kwik Klip tool also, but I don't use the plastic covers. I haven't done much pin basting since I bought my mid-arm frame and machine.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:37 PM

Thanks Klue,

Have you ever heard of steel causing any problems if left in quilts too long? Or? Why do you suppose this other company selling the brass ones is touting them as being the "safe for your quilts" pin? :? [/quote]

no i've never had a problem. the longest i ever had a quilt pinned was 8 months. i actually had to go buy more pins because i left them in that quilt for so long.[/quote]

You don't suppose this could a case of a marketing ploy, now do you? :? LOL
Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I use curved steel ones. I open and close them with my hands. Have not yet gotten to the point where it is a problem for my hands. I guess I am lucky there. As to brand name, I just get what I feel I can afford.
I'm glad you don't have any troubles with your hands. Hurray!

Finances were definitely a part of the equation. 100 pins shouldn't cost $12! My subsequent purchase was 300 pins for $6 something. I'm wising up! :D
Old 07-17-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I switched from the straight safety pins to the curved ones a long time ago. The curve makes passing through all layers much easier and more reliable. WIth the straight pins, I always had to lift the quilt or distort my hands. Don't know what size I have - they are relatively small and they go through the layers quite well.

Using the tool (looks like a blunt screwdriver) helps stress on closing the pins.
Hi Martina,

Curved pins - whoda thunked it? :D They sure make pinning and sewing much easier. I use that same tool and just love it, too. Thanks for your reply. Happy stitching.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
#1 and curved. #2 is too large but can be used if you need them. I just liked the shorter ones.
Thanks for your vote. I like the #1's too.