Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bendable Bright Light

Blog Entries
    I really like mine! However, I'm a little different than everyone else. I didn't want to attach it to my machines. I use a couple of featherweights and a Bernina. So I filled a plastic cylinder with clear marbles (2 X 2 X 8 inches) and use that behind my machines. Works great. Also, after buying mine I shopped at IKEA and found a couple of nice LED lights that would work as well. They were a fraction of the price!

I have one on my machine and I do like it, but I find I have to adjust it often. Good luck -

Blog Entries
    I do like the bendable light but it is different than the Ott light I have on my sewing table; it is a more focused light which I like to place right on my sewing foot especially for sewing dark fabrics. The best price I found was at quilting-warehouse.com

They also have the adapter kit that you can attach to any other machine so you can use your one light with several machines.

I have bought all of my "sewing lights" from JoAnn's. I use the Ott-light floor model with bendable neck in the living room for hand sewing. The small portable Ott-light for workshops & retreats. But my favorite is a Day Light adjustable height desk lamp I got a few years back. Heavy base so it's not easily push over but the neck and canopy over the light bulb are adjustable and perfect for detail and night work in my craft room. Though the Ott's give a true picture of color the Day Light gives these computer tired eyes after a day of work what they need to see details. Costs varied but the Ott's were a lot more even after using JoAnn's 40% off coupons. Keep an eye out on the sales, and be selective. One thing I will say a lamp from the furniture or office supply store doesn't do what I need to sew by.

Blog Entries
    I love mine as well particularly when doing workshops in places that don't have adequate lighting. Since I have more than one machine I went on the website and ordered more mounts so I can switch the light as needed.

Jan

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the good suggestions, I think I will stick with the Ott light for now.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I have 2 and love them. My old eyes need the extra illumination on what I'm working on. I highly recommend them.

I was thinking of getting one for my 'extra' machine that I use to take to classes. These glowing reports make it a definite purchase. I'm getting the new Janome Horizon soon, and the lights on that machine are fab-u-loso! No need for a bendable light on that one.

the bendables are awesome. i think i brought from j hittle, about $35.00

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I want one

Senior Member janquilts'ncrochets's Avatar
    I have the bendable light that attaches to your machine. I like it very much, as my overhead lighting is very poor in my room. The light is a bit expensive, but I use it alot. Jan :shock:

Thank you so much! I have one I paid 39.99 for so I went to the quilting warehouse website and ordered two more! I love the one I have!
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricluvr
    i just ordered 2 of them from quilting-warehouse.com. the total was $61.65 (usps shipping incl). got one for me and one for mom. if mom doesn't like it, i'll put it on my second machine!

I don't know if everyone is talking about the same thing, but the one I have, called the Bendable Bright Light, is an LED light. I use it sometimes, but I find that it has too much glare - when I mentioned this to the eye doc a couple of days ago he agreed that LED lights are "blue" and can bother your eyes because the light is so concentrated in one place.

I much prefer my ott-lites which are natural daylight lamps.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
    I don't know if everyone is talking about the same thing, but the one I have, called the Bendable Bright Light, is an LED light. I use it sometimes, but I find that it has too much glare - when I mentioned this to the eye doc a couple of days ago he agreed that LED lights are "blue" and can bother your eyes because the light is so concentrated in one place.
    My Bendable light is white light. I just double checked.

I have one, and love it. I got extra mounting kits so that I can easily switch it from machine to machine. For me that was more economical than buying more than one light.

Blog Entries
    QUESTION: any chance the magnetic holder might interfere with the sewing machine's electronics?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
    QUESTION: any chance the magnetic holder might interfere with the sewing machine's electronics?
    ppm, it isn't magnetic. It's the same kind of sticky that those stick-on wall hangers use. You are correct that you should not use magnets near a computerized machine.

Blog Entries
    oh good. Also wondering about those magnetic pin holder dishes that don't have the rubbery covering. They're sitting very close to the sewing machine...

I have one attached to the head of my quilting machine - I can easily see inside the hopping foot and when I bury the threads I just move the light so I can see the bobbin thread hole to put my needle through. Least expensive I found was $35 - most are $50 - but definitely well worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    Quote Originally Posted by granniebj
    I could sure use one! Are they expensive?
    Prices vary -around $27.99 - $49.99 from what I've found. Has anyone seen them for less?
    I haven't seen them for less than $45 and that wa s an in store 10% off. I love mine, although, I didn't think when I first applied it soeverytime I changed threads I lifted the cover and had to readjust the placement. It also got out of place if bumped. I now took some white plastic tape and taped over the bendable neck and have not fidgeted with it since. I do like it. I bought a second mount so I can move it to another machine.

Quote Originally Posted by bob1414
    I love mine and may buy a second one. I always seem to be moving mine from one place to another, so if I have 2, not only will I have more light, I can keep one in the same position!
    Remember, you can buy just a mount. Depends on how often you switch between machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle
    I always wonder what you do about the cord on those lights that fit on the machine. Do they get in the way when you are sewing??
    i haven't gotten mine yet, but as i understand it, there are clips that adhere to the back of your machine to run the cord through to keep it out of the way.
    I like my light a lot, but one of the clips peeled off once and now won't stay put. Plus, I notice that when I am trying to quilt, the light frequently gets in the way. I have tried to move it up above the machine during these times, but it usually drops back down. I am a bit aggressive when I am quilting though.

I'll pay postage and you can send it to me...I assure you it will be out and shining in moments are receiving!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazicorn
    I always wonder what you do about the cord on those lights that fit on the machine. Do they get in the way when you are sewing??
    i haven't gotten mine yet, but as i understand it, there are clips that adhere to the back of your machine to run the cord through to keep it out of the way.
    I like my light a lot, but one of the clips peeled off once and now won't stay put. Plus, I notice that when I am trying to quilt, the light frequently gets in the way. I have tried to move it up above the machine during these times, but it usually drops back down. I am a bit aggressive when I am quilting though.
    I used white plastic tape and taped the neck to my machine to have it more stationary. It was a good fix

Quote Originally Posted by crazicorn
    I used white plastic tape and taped the neck to my machine to have it more stationary. It was a good fix

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast