Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Sewing Machine for quilting.?? >

Best Sewing Machine for quilting.??

Best Sewing Machine for quilting.??

Old 06-12-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
The Janome 6600P is one great machine, but out of your range. Still, check with the lower price Janome's. Love mine.
Use a reputable dealer.
Is that the new one? I want one but I don't have any idea the price. I figure it would pay for itself since I would quilt my quilts and not take them to a LAQ. I have a Janome that is 25 years old, it was top of the line when I bought it. I plan to keep it because I would miss the embroidery.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:45 PM

I bought my Juki 98Q WITH a GMQ frame a few months ago for 2200. If you look, you can find the Juki new for about $800. I would have no problem buying a used one, however, because I think they are hard to kill.

My Juki has a thread cutter, which I love, When you cut the thread, it automatically raises the needle. It is a straight stitch machine however. for Zig-zag I have to go to the oldie.

For me, less to break down or wear out is a great thing. It's like an updated version of a treadle- oil her and she will run forever.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM

I had to replace my machine of 30 years (New Home)! It was a hard decision as to what to buy. The very first thing is to consider your budget of course. Then decide on features that you would like it to have, and do go out and test drive some out there.

I finally decided on a Brother 4000, it has the needle down feature (stops with the needle down every time), has several nice feet that came with it, has a nice buttonhole feature, and quite a few nice variety of stitches. The best part was that it fit my budget (it was under $150.00). It is a lot lighter than my old one was, and the sleeve arm is a little wider, but it does what I need it to do. It also came with the 1/4 inch foot for quilting.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio
Not sure who told you about Bernina, but Bernina is a swiss company - nothing made here in the us. They sadly, are also farming their production to Thailand & such.
Juki has been an Industrial machine maker and a darn good one. The Juki 98Q is a quilters staple, but is straight stitch only. Juki has now come out with machines with more stitches and reasonable. I have the Exceed F-600 a wonderful, beautiful , strong sewing machine. It outsews any machine I ever had, and that's quite a few Bernina's, Pfaff's, Vikings, Elna's. If you can find a dealer go sew on them. They have a stronger motor and zip over seams & such.
that was me. I was told that by a dealer of Bernina and someone else but don't remember who. Hmmm. Well, I love my Husquvarna Viking.

Originally Posted by quilter53
I bought a Viking D1 that was a trade in for an upgrade. I love it. It has been great. I did have a New Home and loved it too. However, I hear Bernina is a family based company and still makes their machines right here in the USA. So that might make a difference to you. Trying out different machines would help you see the difference.
:) :)
Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 PM

I also suggest you go to as many dealers as you can reasonably visit. Unless you are wanting to embroider, as well, you should be able to get a good machine in your price range that will do what you want it to do.

I have 2 Vikings, a Lily and a Rose (that I inherited from my late MIL). Do I wish I had a fancier machine that would 'do it all'? Of course I do. However, with 2 college students that is not going to happen. Even when I do get the opportunity to upgrade, I will trade in the Rose and keep the Lily. It is not an expensive machine but it is a workhorse, and it is the one I really do prefer to sew on.

If you have a LQS that you prefer, give them the first opportunity to sell you a machine. It just happens that my favorite LQS sells Vikings. If they sold Bernina's, then that is probably what I would have. Then, see if they have any trade-ins that you could buy. You could possibly get 'more machine' that way than by buying a brand-new machine.

Everyone has given you great suggestions. Be sure to let us know what you end up with!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM

A Bernina. If you go to ebay you can find some older model machines that will do a wonderful job at fantastic prices. I am on my 3rd Bernina because I upgraded each time,and traded in the one I had...they are great machines.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:39 PM

I love my Kenmore. It is made by Janome, and has all the Janome features at a MUCH more reasonable price.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:59 PM

You've got alot of great ideas there. The best; I think, is to go to your dealers WITH a price to spend in mind. Always try out at least three machines, and the one you feel most comfortable with- go for it. Also keep in mind the number of extra you get with the machine-- that will always be an extra charge for you.
My machine I got was from the dealer. I purchased it as a floor model, so they knocked off a couple of $100. It's a Husqvarna Viking - Emerald 116. It has the basic straight stitches, along with the zig-zag stitches. The more I use it, the more I love it!! :-P
Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 PM

I have a Bernina as well and I would't take anything for it.....I LOVE IT!!! It is a work horse.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:42 PM

I have two Bernina's. I have the 730 and the 830. They both came with a nice assortment of feet. The 830 has several dual feed feet and they are great. Both of my machines have the embroidery unit. THE 830 has such a large throat area, that you can use the jumbo hoop, and it makes FMQ so much easier.