Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Sewing Machine for quilting.?? >

Best Sewing Machine for quilting.??

Best Sewing Machine for quilting.??

Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 AM

I have several sewing machines. The best one for quilting is my 6600P. I love the accufeed system ( you don't have to put that bulky walking foot on)..you can see so much better with the Accufoot. I like the free motion capabilities too. For piecing, you can't beat the auto thread cutting on the 6600...I know the Bernina has this feature...but you are talking thousands more. Janome has the new 7700..I tested it...it wasn't worth paying $2500 more than the 6600.
Since the 7700 came out the price on the 6600 has gone down and lots of ladies are trading in their 6600 so there are lots of trade ins that are in good condition at the dealers. I would be cautious about Craig's list...it is OK if they have a recent dealer check up document with it, otherwise Buyer beware.
Call Brubakers and see if they have any good trade ins or maybe a new 6600P is OK with your budget. New I think they are $1400-$1600. Used are $850-$1000. You can't go wrong with the Janome 6600, it was built primarily for quilting. Brubakers has a website, but just call Amy...she will help you. Their website is brubakerssewing.com (notice the SS, put 2 not 1 in your URL) I don't work for them, just a satisfied customer.
They beleive in great customer service. Test drive a 6600 at your dealer, then call Brubakers (No tax on any machine and No shipping on new machines)
Good Luck on your Quest
Diana in Texas
Old 06-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Hi,
what I did was first be realistic about the price I wanted to spend next what exactly did I plan to use the machine for (mostly quilting) I went to Bernina-Janome- Husquvarna-Sears Then I sat at each machine and worked on a small quilting patch (8X8)square the only one I didn't sit at and work at was Sears they were just not set up for it aat the Mall that I went to. But the Bernina I looked at had a bobbin I was not comfortable with (problems with my hands and wrists) but the machine was OK then on to the Husquvarna Tht one was ok too but the Janome is the one I was most comfortable with and she is now living in my quilting room and we are very happy together. So many things I love about it would make me sound like a salesperson Just take your time and the right one will come along for you
Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I also love my Bernina, pricey but well worth the investment. I did get the stitch regulator and don't use it. Love doing free motion on my baby, comes out great. Good luck in your search, am sure you will love what ever you get!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 PM

I love my Pfaff. I don't really care anymore if I embroider anything since I realized I haven't actually done that for a long time. I just love the IDT (built in walking foot) that Pfaff has had on their machines forever.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
Originally Posted by wvdek
The Janome 6600P is one great machine, but out of your range. Still, check with the lower price Janome's. Love mine.
Use a reputable dealer.
Is that the new one? I want one but I don't have any idea the price. I figure it would pay for itself since I would quilt my quilts and not take them to a LAQ. I have a Janome that is 25 years old, it was top of the line when I bought it. I plan to keep it because I would miss the embroidery.
No the 6600 is not the new, that would be the Horizon
Old 06-13-2010, 03:06 PM

What I did was research and figure out the budget! I made a spreadsheet of all things I need then want, and listed all info from the sewing machines websites (Brother, Baby Lock, Bernina, Janome, Juki, Viking, Pfaff) and prices. Compared the models I was interested in, visited the dealers and test drove some. Looked at the reviews, used ebay and internet dealers for price reference. and two months later got my first choice! My boyfriend was with me, he chatted with the owner while I test drove it and he liked the atmosphere of the store so much we walked out with the Baby Lock Espire! It is way out of my price range, so I'm making payments on it to him! I still have the spreadsheet if you're interested PM me and I can email you. Oh, if I didn't get this, I would have gotten the Brother NX 600 from ebay and would of made an offer to the seller (listing was I think $849 or best offer).
Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 PM

I also did the same thing make a spreadsheet, for me it was a toss up between the Bernina and the Pfaff but when it came down to it they wanted $900 more just for the stitch regulator! I wanted something to help me with FMQ and Pfaff had it built in. Nice perk for sure...but what it really comes down to it, you just have to find the one that works best for you, the one you bond with.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Schnookie, I haven't quilted long enough to FMQ (free motion quilt?) much. I've sewn a lot of other things so I totally agree when you say "bond with your machine". Every tool is chosen by a person because of how it works for them and the purpose to be used. I have sewn a lot of costumes for a dance theatre and have to say that what I wanted in a machine for that is totally different than what I'd look for if I were just quilting.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 PM

of course you can come live with me! Do you cook? vacuum? run errands? To further entice you, I also have the Bernina quilting frame.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Wow you will probably get as many suggestions as there are machines! When you say best machine for quilting do you mean for piecing or for FMQ?

I have a Bernina and I love it, but it does not meet the criteria of being reasonably priced. However, I do not regret for one second the investment I made with this machine. I didn't get one that has embroidery capability. If I had it to do over I would get the Bernina that has a stitch regulator for FMQ.
Ditto! I got my Bernina in 1996 used and paid $600. Have never regretted it and my next machine will also be a Bernina.
:-D