Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Sewing Machine for quilting.?? >

Best Sewing Machine for quilting.??

Best Sewing Machine for quilting.??

Old 06-12-2010, 05:20 PM

I Love my Bernina. Mine is about 13yrs old and I would recommend one to anyone. When I bought mine ,I asked at the LQS to throw in the walking foot and they did.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 PM

You could get a really good one secondhand, for a good price. Get a machine like Janome, or pfaff, or a bernina. I've had my Janome for 5 years, made lots of quilts, and it's still going like a work horse. I love it, it's very user friendly.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:02 PM

My "Old Lady" a 30 yr. old Bernina 1000 special is a work horse, she's faithful and strong, very simple, no fancy stitches.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM

Love my Pfaff!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:33 PM

I just bought a Pfaff, and I love it, I have two other Pfaffs and love them just as well.

IMO...The dealer is the best, you will get class's to work with your new machine, and you can most likely buy it with no interest for up to 18 months depending on who you go to. You can make deals too. If you buy off ebay you will not get a warranty that a dealer will honor as far as I know of. and it can cost anywhere between 80 to 100 plus dollars to get one serviced. Go try them out then if you find one that you like better than another and think that is the one, then go back and take at least 2 ready to quilt fats with the batting and backing that you like to use and the thread that you like best and use most often and quilt quilt quilt on it. (do this on the machine that you would be taking home with you if it pass's all the test) If there is any thing that goes wrong they can adjust it right on the spot! Then you won't have to bring it back right away for any adjustments. And while you are there ask questions...lost of questions, how to do this how to do that stuff. If you look on the net for reviews take them with a grain of salt, because people are more apt to complain than write a review on how good a machine is. Not that it doesn't happen just not much! I hope that this might help you in some way...good luck and please let us know which one you are going to buy.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 PM

If you are going to any of the big quilt shows you might see if you could buy a demo. I got my Bernina in Houston for half price and it had the full warranty!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by elizabeth
I have two Bernina's. I have the 730 and the 830. They both came with a nice assortment of feet. The 830 has several dual feed feet and they are great. Both of my machines have the embroidery unit. THE 830 has such a large throat area, that you can use the jumbo hoop, and it makes FMQ so much easier.
You are so spoiled. Can I come live with you? :-D
Old 06-13-2010, 08:01 AM

I have had many machines, 2 Bernina, 2 Viking, 5 Old Singer, Nichi, Royal, Brother, 2 Kenmore, 3 Janome. I have tried them all and have only gotten rid of the Bernina as it had too too much daily cleaning and oiling to keep it quiet, the Viking because it was always having some kind of problem. The Kenmore and Old Singer I gave to a lady who takes care of my mother-in-law to take to Nigeria for her daughter to make clothes for food money for the family, the Nichi to my brother who mends his work clothes, Singer treadle to my daughter in Ellensburg, Singer feather weight on(indefinate) loan to my mother for her new sewing room and my Janome Gem (which I love) to my daughter in Hawaii so she could learn to sew. I have kept my Royal that I use to do upholstered items, my Brother for embroidery, my Janome Heart machine for taking to classes and my Janome 6500 for everyday sewing and quilting. So I guess to make a long story short, JANOME ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Needler
I have had many machines, 2 Bernina, 2 Viking, 5 Old Singer, Nichi, Royal, Brother, 2 Kenmore, 3 Janome. I have tried them all and have only gotten rid of the Bernina as it had too too much daily cleaning and oiling to keep it quiet, the Viking because it was always having some kind of problem. The Kenmore and Old Singer I gave to a lady who takes care of my mother-in-law to take to Nigeria for her daughter to make clothes for food money for the family, the Nichi to my brother who mends his work clothes, Singer treadle to my daughter in Ellensburg, Singer feather weight on(indefinate) loan to my mother for her new sewing room and my Janome Gem (which I love) to my daughter in Hawaii so she could learn to sew. I have kept my Royal that I use to do upholstered items, my Brother for embroidery, my Janome Heart machine for taking to classes and my Janome 6500 for everyday sewing and quilting. So I guess to make a long story short, JANOME ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:05 AM

Kenmore is made by Janome excellant machine half the price as janome