Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts >

Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts

Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts

Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I measure the first distance across the middle and use that measurement to cut my border. Then I distribute any differences across the actual edge. Then I press, measure the opposite side and repeat the process. I have never had a wavy border that way (but did have waves when I tried it the other way).

When I miter, I cut the border piece longer by 2X the width of the border + a little extra. For the miters, I measure and mark the ACTUAL length of the center measurement and distribute any differences between the marking points. It works like a charm.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I measure all of my quilts by laying a border through the middle and lightly smoothing it out to the other side/end mark it for cutoff. I then lay it on top of the other border strip and smoothly lay it out and cut the same size. I do the opposite side/end the same way. Mark center of quilt and border with pins and once or twice the same distance from the center pins, pinch at the pins as I sew easing in. Never had a wave or anything else. Works perfect for me. Never just one way to do anything. Do whatever works for you.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I do the make it longer and cut later way also. I have not had a problem. Well just once, but that was because I did not pin. Had to take out 66 inches. Yuck. Every other time, though, it has been fine.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith View Post
If you just cut sew then trim you will risk having wavy borders, possibly bad enough they will need re-done before quilting. The best practice (not the quilt police, just saying IMHO) is to measure the top, middle and bottom. Then average that to get the length for side borders. then after those borders are on, measure the left, middle then right side. Average this and you will have your top and bottom borders. (You can do top or sides first your choice). I also round down to the nearest 1/8th inch instead of up. I have never had a wavy border doing it this way. When I first started, I didn't know about this process, and had to redo a couple quilts because I would have had to pleat the borders to make them fit. Wouldn't have been the most pleasing look.
This is how I do it. After spending all the time to get the center accurate, I'm not going to fudge at this point.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I cut mine close to size, then lay on the quilt, centering top to border, pin, then smooth the border fabric pinning as I go to each edge. sew, then trim if necessary. works well for me.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Maybe I have been lucky. I have never averaged my length of fabric for borders and never noticed any wavy edges or pleats. I piece borders so they are a few inches longer than the measured side of the quilt top. I pin the border on from the center out to each edge and sew from the center out to edge turn the quilt and sew center out to finish one side.

I repeat this, doing the sides first and then top & bottom, ( This is my preference). I have never had problems that I cared about and if a quilting police were to mention anything about it I wouldn't care!
peace
Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
I used to do it that way, too, until I had waves the size of a Tsunami on one of my quilts. Never again. I measure thru the middle lengthwise and crosswise and use those measurements to cut my borders, then, pin in case I have to ease it in. Works for me.
This is how I do my borders. Works for me too
Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
I used to do it that way, too, until I had waves the size of a Tsunami on one of my quilts. Never again. I measure thru the middle lengthwise and crosswise and use those measurements to cut my borders, then, pin in case I have to ease it in. Works for me.
I had the same result on my first quilt. It had 3 borders, so you can just imagine the waves. I removed them..Watched a lot of videos and now do as you do and get a nice flat quilt.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM

I measure in the middle and then quarter my quilt and mark with pins on the quilt and border, and then ease to fit. I was showing someone how to do this, and she was questioning my method. We measured the border, if she did the sew and cut method, and there would have been two extra inches in the border. That was on a baby quilt, so it does make a difference. I have friend who does long arm quilting as a business, and she is so frustrated with the sew and cut method quilts, as it is really hard not to have puckers when quilting.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 PM

qnntv.com has an excellent video (2 part) on borders with Mary and Marianne Fons. Sorry i don't know how to do a link. Google will help find it.