Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts >

Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts

Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts

Old 04-10-2013, 04:20 AM

I've done the sew it on, then cut. Had wavy borders. It doesn't show that much (depending on how much it waves - if it waves like a flag, you've got problems) if you use a fluffy batting and tie the quilt, but boy, does it show if you are quilting on a frame. Now, I measure across, at least twice, use the average, add 1/4" to that measurement, pin down the quilt side (leaving 1/8" top and bottom overhang), sew, then trim the ends even with my 12 1/2" square up ruler. I use the extra 1/4" to make sure that the border end is perfectly square, not angling downward. Not the quilt police, but when I've put that much money and time into a quilt, I want it to be as perfect as I can make it. No CDO here (that's OCD in it's alphabetically correct sequence).
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by cjackaitlin View Post
I measure the center of my quilt both ways,That gives you a more true measurement. One side of your quilt might not be the same on both sides. If you measure the center that gives you a truer measurement.
I was told by my longarmer....eons ago when I first started that the quilts needed to be "squared up" by the borders.....I measure through the middle and that's what I cut my borders at, I then find the middle and the quarters of my border and my quilt, pin at those points and sew from the middle out on each border....by the end borders my quilt is straight and true and the longarmer likes me because she isn't worried about a PLEAT in the quilt!!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:43 AM

I agree with everyone else if you use that method you will end up with wavy borders, if not you have been lucky... I find using Bonnie Hunters method works best for me and not wavy borders.. quiltville.com , check it out
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Making note of all these tips.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:31 AM

To keep it square, measure across the middle in both directions and cut the borders to those lengths. Ease in any fullness as you sew them onto the quilt.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
When I add a border to a quilt, I just cut a strip of fabric longer than the quilt, sew it to the quilt and then cut off the excess. I know many people measure the quilt in a couple different places, take the average, and cut the border to that specification. Does it matter which way you do it? Is one a better method? (I don't want to say right or wrong!) Would love advice on which method produces a better quilt. Thanks
I do it just like you do, and have never had a problem this way. I HAVE had a problem when I measure the center and use that measurement to make the border. Using that method, the borders have come out wavy or stretched. But, I lay the quilt flat, pin the border on and sew. It always comes out right. I think you will have to find the way that works for you, because I'm sure others do it differently .
Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 AM

Can't understand going to the trouble of piecing a quilt then just slapping on the borders. I'm not the Quilt Police but some things we are taught for a reason. My BFF use to just cut, sew and trim. I suggested she measure but she said "it'll be okay", and it was until the day her borders started to stretch. She now measures.
I fold the border fabric in half then bring each end in to the middle crease do the same with the quilt. I don't have problems with my borders. I'd rather take a little time and measure than unsew.

Last edited by katesnanna; 04-10-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
I used to do it that way, too, until I had waves the size of a Tsunami on one of my quilts. Never again. I measure thru the middle lengthwise and crosswise and use those measurements to cut my borders, then, pin in case I have to ease it in. Works for me.
Ditto for me!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 AM

I do it the way you do it. I have had perfectly square quilts since I started this practice. I made the change from the old measure and cut off system after I decided a lap quilt I made would look perfect hanging on a large empty wall space I had. (and it did, but didn't want to hang straight). It takes a few more minutes but is worth the effort.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith View Post
If you just cut sew then trim you will risk having wavy borders, possibly bad enough they will need re-done before quilting. The best practice (not the quilt police, just saying IMHO) is to measure the top, middle and bottom. Then average that to get the length for side borders. then after those borders are on, measure the left, middle then right side. Average this and you will have your top and bottom borders. (You can do top or sides first your choice). I also round down to the nearest 1/8th inch instead of up. I have never had a wavy border doing it this way. When I first started, I didn't know about this process, and had to redo a couple quilts because I would have had to pleat the borders to make them fit. Wouldn't have been the most pleasing look.
I agree with knismith, well said. However, I suggest to my quilt students that if the quilt is a rectangle, add the side borders first, then the top and bottom. If you do the top and bottom first, you end up with very long side pieces. Doing the sides first creates an impression of the quilt looking a bit more square. (It's sort of like why tall, thin girls don't wear vertical stripes, and why we chubby girls don't wear horizontal stripes.) Also, depending on the amount of border fabric you have, it may be more practical not to have to try to cut very long pieces for the long sides if you do them last. So, sides first.