Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts >

Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts

Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts

Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM

I've not used a measuring tape in a long time while measuring for borders. Actually I do the same thing Bonnie Hunter does. She has a tip for borders on her blog under the tips tab. (I don't have wavy borders at all). Her blog is Quiltville Quips and Snips.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
I agree with knismith, well said. However, I suggest to my quilt students that if the quilt is a rectangle, add the side borders first, then the top and bottom. If you do the top and bottom first, you end up with very long side pieces. Doing the sides first creates an impression of the quilt looking a bit more square. (It's sort of like why tall, thin girls don't wear vertical stripes, and why we chubby girls don't wear horizontal stripes.) Also, depending on the amount of border fabric you have, it may be more practical not to have to try to cut very long pieces for the long sides if you do them last. So, sides first.
I add sides first, but THIS is why I do it. I think, particularly for a quilt that is longer than wide, it makes it look like it has a "cap" on it, rather than looking like an "empty bottle". I think the top and bottom borders "finish it", if you understand that reasoning. Same result - different reason !
Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 PM

I do it the way you do and have never had wavy borders.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 PM

The only time I've had (am having) a border problem is on a OBW. Not sure what the components creating the problem are, but I'm about to call in Jack the Ripper!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 PM

another reason for wavy borders is too much fabric. I don't have that problem when I measure through the quilt center and then cut the border fabric. Every time I try to just sew the borders on and trim the excess, its a disaster and then I have to frog stitch(rip it,rip it, etc..)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Sooooo! What is CDO (or DCO)???
(that's OCD in it's alphabetically correct sequence)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 AM

I also do as you do to sew my border fabric on. Also if have a 2 pieces of material to stitch and one is a little longer than the other I put the one that is just a little too long on the bottom and the feed dogs will take up the slack as you strech the fabric just a tad. Easier than cutting another piece. This only works if one piece is only a little too long.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
When I add a border to a quilt, I just cut a strip of fabric longer than the quilt, sew it to the quilt and then cut off the excess. I know many people measure the quilt in a couple different places, take the average, and cut the border to that specification. Does it matter which way you do it? Is one a better method? (I don't want to say right or wrong!) Would love advice on which method produces a better quilt. Thanks
I add them the same way you do, works for me!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 AM

I'm not sure I understand why the measuring /squaring makes a differences in the waves of the quilts boarders> ?? I measure the length and width ,then cut my boarders, always add extra to make sure they are long enough, easier to trim than add to.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:49 AM

It is wise to measure and then cut them both the same measurement, just in case one side is longer than the other, this will assure that the quilt ends up square. All instructions say to do the long sides first, then te top and bottom.