Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts >

Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts

Best Way to Add Borders to Quilts

Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 AM

"OCD" Obessive/Compulsive Disorder

I measure the center length (or more depending on size of quilt) and the cut my side borders first, and then measure the width in the center after the sides are sewn on. Much better borders for me doing it that way.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
I used to do it that way, too, until I had waves the size of a Tsunami on one of my quilts. Never again. I measure thru the middle lengthwise and crosswise and use those measurements to cut my borders, then, pin in case I have to ease it in. Works for me.
This is how I do it, as well. When I first began learning to make quilts, I read that this was the way to attach borders and have always done it this way.

Unless your quilt is really square, tearing a strip and sewing it on and then cutting off the excess may result in a skewed quilt, or as some have said, wavy borders. I'd say that those of you who do this successfully are very careful sewers, your quilts are even, and that's why it works for you.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by mucky View Post
Lay 2 borders across the center of the quilt and cut to size. The fabric clings to,the quilt and you don't have any slppery measuring tape to contend with. Then pin to quilt matching centers, etc.
This is exactly what I do.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM

I usually take the 3 measurements and then get an average. However this doesn't really work when doing mitered corners which I did on my last quilt a few weeks ago. I laid it out after finishing the top and realized that a couple of corners looked puckery so I took another seam on the mitered corner to straighten it out. My quilter called me today to tell me that, even though it quilted fine, that she figured out that the borders were actually a little tight for the quilt, which means that I probably shouldn't have taken the extra little tuck in the miter. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the explanation of why it matter how you measure. I guess I did not think it was OK to ease in fullness on a quilt---learn something new here all the time.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 PM

I do it the same way. I never have problems with a wavy border.
Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
When I add a border to a quilt, I just cut a strip of fabric longer than the quilt, sew it to the quilt and then cut off the excess. I know many people measure the quilt in a couple different places, take the average, and cut the border to that specification. Does it matter which way you do it? Is one a better method? (I don't want to say right or wrong!) Would love advice on which method produces a better quilt. Thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Scissor Queen, I agree with you, I ALWAYS sew my border with the border fabric on top - I have NEVER had wavy borders doing it this way. Bevster
Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 PM

I do it this way as long as the quilt is relatively small. For longer quilts, I still cut a strip that is longer than the side/top/bottom of the quilt, but sew from the center to one end, then sew from the center to the other end.

So far, I've never had a problem with fluting. But that could change with the next quilt...
Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 AM

You always sew with a relaxed bottom so if you have more fullness in the quilt side sew in the border side and if more fullness in the border sew on the quilt side. One exception is if your border is on straight grain sew on the border side.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by mucky View Post
You always sew with a relaxed bottom so if you have more fullness in the quilt side sew in the border side and if more fullness in the border sew on the quilt side. One exception is if your border is on straight grain sew on the border side.
Any fullness eased in on the border guarantees they'll be wavy. "Easing" is basically a slight gather. Even slight gathering on the quilt side will guarantee tucks and fullness and mess on the binding side.