Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin confession >

Bobbin confession

Bobbin confession

Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
Nothing wrong with what you are doing, but you are more likely to have wonky stitches near the end because the tension changes. My Bernina doesn't even have a hole. It's supposed to 'grip' the thread after you wrap it around 3 times. Yeah, well, never works for me. I wrap it 6 or 7 times for it to hold. Annoying because, as mentioned, the tension changes.
I had a Viking D1 and you were supposed to do the same thing, wrap it till it caught.. So frustrating! I had my DH drill a small pin size hole in every bobbin, never had an issue after that!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 AM

No, I stick it through the little pesky hole and after a few winds trim the top off then continue until the bobbin is full. I have a hard enough time sewing and trying to learn to quilting plus my Home Ec teacher made sure we learned the "proper way" and it's engrained not to deviate. Sorry.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 AM

I always just wrapped on my old sturdy metal machine, but since I got my Janome I use the little hole just like the directions say. I've not had a problem either way.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Learned to use sewing machine in 7th grade and teacher never mentioned about how to wind bobbin. Never really did get a chance to find out as there was only one machine in our classroom and I used it only once. When I was frist married my MIL gave me her old White machine, no manual so I just wound thread around bobbin and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I finally learned the 'proper' way to thread a bobbin when I bought my first Pfaff several years ago, that is to pull the thread through the hole in the bobbin. I have upgraded to a newer model and I think I should check out the manual to see if that still is the 'proper' way for my machine.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 AM

I used to do that years ago but now my winder has a slot that I can catch the thread on so I don't have to do that anymore. It holds the tension perfectly. Love my Babylock features!!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 AM

i have always put the thread thru the hole then after it winds a few times i snip it off at the hole , this is the way i was taught to do it and it seems to make the bobbin thread tighter on the bobbin spool
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 AM

I use the little hole - if I try to wrap, it never winds correctly. But I am sure I have my own "shame" issues....
Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 AM

Some of the bobbins I have for my Viking have the hole and some don't, so I have no choice but to wind the bobbins like you do. It works so no shame involved. Its really frustrating to have to figure out which way the bobbin winder goes so that I can get the thread to catch.

Last edited by purplefiend; 03-18-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Wiith my older machines I always used the little hole and held the thread for a bit while the bobbin was winding. But my new machine says to wrap the thread so now I try to remember to do just that, sometimes I forget and still use the little hole but it doesn't seem matter.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have never seen a machine tech or repairman put thread through the hole on any bobbin to wind. Never seen a machine dealer do it either.
I just looked up my instruction manual and it says to wind a few times and hold thread to start and then use the thread cutter on the bobbin winder to cut tail of thread. Both my Viking and Brother say to do it that way. Just checked my Viking bobbin (plastic) and there is no hole. I have been sewing for 40 years and have never heard of putting the thread through the hole of the bobbin even when I had metal bobbins.