Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobbin Winders at WalMart

If you make sure your bobbin "clicks" into place (sometimes takes a couple of tries) and you pull up the spindle to put your thread spool on....nothing should be flying anywhere! Since my 70 year old machine's ONLY problem is that it won't make bobbins, I depend on my Sidewinder and love it!

Blog Entries
    I have one, and it works very well. Now the first one I bought quit after a couple of months, so I returned it to Wal Mart and exchanged it for a new one. It was quite a help when I just started sewing and had a basic machine because I broke the spring on my Singer's bobbin winder. It is nice to take to sewing groups so everybody could use it when they neeed a new bobbin. I have heard that it doesn't work with some machine bobbins though, but haven't had that problem myself and have a Huskvarna and a Janome.

I have the Bengal Bobbin Winder....bought it on Ebay a few years back and absolutely love it. It winds all types of bobbins. It is more of a professional winder. When I purchased mine is was fairly reasonable in price but now they are very expensive. I was one of those people that could never wind a good bobbin on my machine so I decided the frustration just wasn't worth it for me on the machine.
    Now I wind perfect bobbins all the time and get so much more thread on the bobbin. It truly is a fabulous winder and worth it's weight in gold to me.

I don't think he sells thems on Ebay anymore but you could goggle it and find where he does sell them if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    I have the Bengal Bobbin Winder....bought it on Ebay a few years back and absolutely love it. It winds all types of bobbins. It is more of a professional winder. When I purchased mine is was fairly reasonable in price but now they are very expensive. I was one of those people that could never wind a good bobbin on my machine so I decided the frustration just wasn't worth it for me on the machine.
    Now I wind perfect bobbins all the time and get so much more thread on the bobbin. It truly is a fabulous winder and worth it's weight in gold to me.
    Who is "he"?
    I don't think he sells thems on Ebay anymore but you could goggle it and find where he does sell them if interested.

LOVE my bobbin winder. Always have a dozen bobbins ready to go. Never an interruption to my sewing except the phone. Hee Hee :lol:

I do like my sidewinder a lot - I find it very convenient and haven't had trouble using the bobbins on either my Pfaff or my Janome

I use mine all the time and love it.

I bought one at JoAnne's and took it back. It didn't have the correct tension for my sewing machine. These computerized machines can be kind of sensitive.

I would like to check it out, but will have to do so at a quilt shop because I don`t go to wal-mart any more.

Blog Entries
    Yes I bought the Sidewinder before I purchased my Pfaff. And now I can't use it because it doesn't work with Pfaff. Tried to return it (I had only had it a month) and couldn't because they had changed the box!

Blog Entries
    I gave my sidewinder to my sister, I use my spare little Pfaff to wind all my bobbins on. All my Pfaffs use the same bobbin so no problems there, I wind up about a doz. at a time of one color.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat

Another option is to consider purchasing some prewound bobbins, I use NEB, which are would more densely. I think I paid around $40 for a gross of bobbins.

(The dealer I use is Ken's Sewing in Muscle Shoals, AL. www.kenssewingcenter.com)
    Ken's is where I buy my prewounds from and I love them! They are would so good and tight.

As to the Sidewinder, I just bought one and it's going back to Hancock's! I tried winding a bobbin with my Brother bobbin thread and I never did get it to wind !! Either the bobbin or the spool would just fly off!!

It's a great idea but needs more work on the design IMO.
    I buy a lot of the pre-wounds (by the box) and love them - unfortunately my Pfaff doesn't like them but my two Brother machines love them! I have the Sidewinder but am not impressed with that - maybe I'll check out that tension adjustment mentioned on here. Even though I plug it into the wall, it seems "weak" on power, and is noisy!
    Marysewfun

I bought one, and found it did not work well when filling from a large spool of thread, and it also only half filled the bobbins. I finally sent it to a friend, to see if she liked it. She hasn't bother with it either. It was a complete waste of money. I have seen that they have improved it, but I won't bother again.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    I'm surprised, Maia, a lot of us love them! Got one because machine winder died and for under $30.00 it is a real asset! Thought it wouldn't work with my new Pfaff Expressions bobbins but if I wind them with the bobbin upside down, it works very well. New "advanced" models are about $100, but the basic cheap model does a very good job for me - I wind 6-8 at a time, too.
    I have a Pfaff and a Viking. When I purchased the Sidewinder, I didn't realize that it didn't work with either type of bobbin. I was having trouble with my bobbin winder on my Viking, so I tried turning the bobbin over in the Sidewinder and it worked like a charm! Much cheaper than a trip to the repair shop!!

I don't have one but my sister does and she loves it. She hates to unthread the machine to wind a bobin and said in her opinion it is worth every penny she paid. They are not that expensive at walmart. I don't mind winding on my machine but do about 5 or 6 bobbins at one time.

Be sure and read to see if your bobbins are compatible mine would not work on the Sidewinder

Blog Entries
    Save your money --I always wind 10 or 12 bobbins before each project[in case theres seam ripping to do]and if I don't use them for that its not like those pre-wound bobbins go to waste and the 10mins you use before hand saves scads of timeduring your sewing time

Blog Entries
    I have purchased one and use it quite a bit. It is fast and does a great job however it will not work with the large cones of thread (they do not fit on the spindle).

I prefer to wind bobbins on my machine. It winds them at the right tension intended for my machine.

Blog Entries
    I love mine, use it all the time and I also use one of those tall thread guides, you know you put the spool of thread on and run it up through the hoop at the top, and I think my bobbins are tighter and I can fit more thread per bobbin on them.

I Have one and I Love It.

I bought one 2 years ago and it does a good job. the thread is tight and it does a real good job for the money. Now I waited till it was on sail for $12.00. Oh well for what it's woth to you it all depends on if you need it or not. I like it for whenI am sewing I can wind bobbins at the same time and save my machine. But that is me?

I've had my Sidewinder for over a year and love it. If it seems to be slow or the thread doesn't wind tight enough, try changing the batteries, plug into the electricity, or adjust the tension knob. It sure saves on the wear/tear on my old machine.

I have one and do not use it. I went to using the prewound bobbins by Superior Threads. I did a small quilt and only used two bobbins. That was for piecing and the FMQ. Each bobbin holds about 80 yards. The price is going up April first. I just put in an order!

love my sidewinder if it is to lose just wind around the thread peg thingy twice works great. if using cones just sit it in a mug off the side.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast