Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bobbin Winders at WalMart

Quote Originally Posted by okiedee
    Has anyone used one of those bobbin winders found at WalMart? I am wondering...what you think of them, are they worth the money?

My bobbin does not hold a lot of thread, I wind up two or three, but does not last very long and I hate to unthread the machine to rewind a bobbin. Hugs, Dee
    you can adjust your bobbin winder on your machine to wind it fuller. there's a screw on top of the little piece that hugs the bobbin, loosen that screw and move that little arm out a little - away from the little spool where the bobbin goes, then re-tighten it. but yes i do have the sidewinder also and i do love it. it also winds the bobbins for my lizzie long arm.

Quote Originally Posted by birdlady
    I have purchased one and use it quite a bit. It is fast and does a great job however it will not work with the large cones of thread (they do not fit on the spindle).
    my friend bought me one for my birthday and she rigged it like this: so the big thread cones work. hope this picture is clear enough for you to see how it's done. she's smart.

sidewinder
    Name:  Attachment-172523.jpe
Views: 53
Size:  42.7 KB

I love my sidewinder

Has anyone used one of those bobbin winders found at WalMart? I am wondering...what you think of them, are they worth the money?

My bobbin does not hold a lot of thread, I wind up two or three, but does not last very long and I hate to unthread the machine to rewind a bobbin. Hugs, Dee

My friend and I both bought the Sidewinder at Christmas time at JoAnn's--buy one, get one free--so we paid about $17 each for them. At the time, we felt like it was a real luxury--something that we didn't really need but would like to have. Since then, I have used mine extensively because my sewing machine barely fills the bobbin, and my friend's machine sewing machine bobbin winder stopped working, so they have been great. The one drawback is that it is so light that it will tip over, so you have to hold it. But it works very well. I'd wait to use the 40% or 50% coupon at Joann's and buy it there. You can also get a 20% off total purchase coupon if you go to the following link, then you can get up to 70% off. http://printable-coupons.blogspot.co...n-coupons.html

Yes, I have one and I love to wind several bobbins at one time. It does a very good job.

I have a sidewinder and love it. The only problem I have and not even a problem with it, is that my Husquvarna bobbins won't work in it. but my brothers ones will.

I love my Sidewinder and my quilting partner says she doesn't know what she did without hers... she HATES having to take thread out of her needle and having to rethread it just to wind a bobbin! Nothing beats the convenience of having the little machine close so a bobbin can be filled in a flash! Worth the money in our opinions.

My friend bought me one for Christmas and I love it.
    It works great winding the bobbins for all 3 of my Janome machines as well as my Kenmore Computerized machine.
    Used it just today:-))

What a neat trick, thanks for the idea!

BEST PURCHASEI'VE MADE IN A LONG TIME , YOU CAN FILL THE BOBBINS SO MUCH FASTER AND THEY SEEM TO BE FULLER TOO

i have one and love it !!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I use my sidewinder a lot. It is also handy for rewinding a bobbin from another bobbin if your machine is particular about bobbins and you need a color that you only have on another bobbin.

Thanks to all for the info....don't know what I am going to do...maybe just go buy more bobbins and spend some time rewinding those...thanks again...this is the best group ever...I so appreciate y'all. Hugs, Dee
    The Sidewinder will not wind bobbins for the Vikings. It winds the bobbin backwards for the Elnas.

I bought one and it works great on regular spools of thread, not so easy on larger spools.

Senior Member janquilts'ncrochets's Avatar
    I bought the sidewinder from my quilt store & I really like it. I haven't had a problem using it & I wind up several bobbins especially when machine quilting. It does save time.

GREAT idea.....I too love my Sidewinder. I wound 6 bobbins for my vintage Singer machine all in about 5 minutes total.....Those that don't like it must be doing it wrong......whats not to like. J

Quote Originally Posted by annieshane
    I have read the feedbacks, but just have to say that I love mine. I even use it to wind bobbins for my LAQ at times. It works great. I just put a plastic straw on the spindle where I put the spool of thread. It works great for me. So sorry others did have such a bad experience. The straw deal really helped me. Have a great friend who always knows the shortcuts.
    thanks for that great tip about the straw

I have one. Personally, they are handy--no need to un-thread your machines.

Dee
    I love mine. Couldn't get along without it.

Blog Entries
    I love my Sidewinder. My Bernina seems very touchy if I have to rethread it, and I always have to do it a couple of times if I unthread to wind a bobbin. The Sidewinder is very fast and winds snuggly. I usually wind several bobbins before I start. It is a lot better if you have two spools of thread so you don't have to take it off the machine at all.

I have a Sidewinder and love it. I can even load it up just a tiny bit more by holding the start button manually. I don't over do it...but it's great. (I always take the batteries out when not in use, and although it does come with a electrical plug, I have yet to use it.

Blog Entries
    My sewing machine dealer told me and my mom a trick, wrap the thread around the tension thingy twice. This makes for a tighter bobin and allows more thread on it.

Don't bother...............bought one and took it back!! The lady at Joanns asked why I brought it back, I told her why (thread did not wind on to the bobbin tight or correctly all over the place) she said 5 units had been returned today!!

I have the Sidewinder and love it. It runs or battery or electric I have also taken it to classes and others have use it. I love it.

I think all machines have bobbin winders on them...I wind several bobbins at a time - I really hate to have to thread my needle. Dont see the need to spend extra money on a sidewinder when I can use that money on material.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast