Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~ >

Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~

Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~

Old 03-15-2014, 02:19 PM

I would cut off the binding and then put on a new backing and rebind. I have been Quilting the Front to the batting then once done FMQ all the layers together.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:39 PM

That is a heart-breaking problem in a quilt! You have my sympathy. Wish I could magically fix it for you, but I haven't yet perfected that quilting technique.

The fabric appears to be ripping from the quilting, so I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's dry-rotted. My opinion - as someone who has never dealt with this problem - is that the backing should be removed. The dry rot will continue to spread throughout the backing.

Putting another back over it might work, but might not because as the fabric deteriorates it is likely to break away and ball up under the new backing. It also adds another set of stitching for the fabric to tear away from.

If I were in your situation, I would remove the back simply so I never have to deal with it again.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
Hmmmmmm..... cutting of the binding will slightly affect the dimensions of the light blue stripe. It will not be the same size as the ones in the middle. But it would only be removing about 1/4". You could just undo the hand sewn part. With the binding "open" you can sew over the previous stitching of the binding then turn it over and re-sew the hand sewn part. Hope that's understandable.

WOW
Brilliant!!!! This makes total sense!!! Of course I wouldn't have to remove the front machine applied part of the binding! Now would you try and remove as much of the shredding backing before applying the new backing?
Old 03-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
That is a heart-breaking problem in a quilt! You have my sympathy. Wish I could magically fix it for you, but I haven't yet perfected that quilting technique.

The fabric appears to be ripping from the quilting, so I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's dry-rotted. My opinion - as someone who has never dealt with this problem - is that the backing should be removed. The dry rot will continue to spread throughout the backing.

Putting another back over it might work, but might not because as the fabric deteriorates it is likely to break away and ball up under the new backing. It also adds another set of stitching for the fabric to tear away from.

If I were in your situation, I would remove the back simply so I never have to deal with it again.
Dry rotting is the term I do believe. Arghhh! Are you suggesting just carefully removing all the black backing ... I'm thinking it might just tear away like paper from paper pieced fabric, then just adding some type of quilting to the backing which of course will be contrary to the quilting on the front. Thank-you for your kind words.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
I would cut off the binding, and put a new backing on it. Instead of stitching (which would show on the front), I would tie the backing onto the quilt, and have the ties show on the back only. You can put the ties close together, to help the quilt for stability, and you'll have a good fix to help stabilize the fragile fabric already on the quilt. That, with the new backing, should hold it together well for the future. Put the bindings back on and you're good to go.

DebbE...Thank-you for your suggestion I'm not sure about the ties to just the back? Are you saying just catch the backing and the batting not going through all three layers? Could you possibly explain how to tie a quilt just to the back? This sounds interesting.

What do you use for tying? Embroidery floss or yarn?
Old 03-15-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Does he by chance have a cat? It almost looks cat scratched. Also, I think you should tell us which manufacturer so we can avoid their fabrics! There is nothing wrong with stating the truth about a particular brand, even if it's bad.

Also, if the problem isn't cat scratching, I would definitely contact the manufacturer and tell them about what happened. They might attempt to compensate you in some way, with perhaps some new fabric.

Otherwise, everything the others said. You may not have to completely replace the backing, just sew in a "patch" where the shredding is occurring and then hand quilt it to secure it...or ask your long-armer to do it. You could even tie it to secure the patch. Use a fun floss to tie it or use buttons. Doing this would also eliminate the need to remove the binding.
Hi TeresaA ~ Thanks for the reply. No he does not have a cat... he dislikes cats VERY MUCH.

I do plan on contacting the manufacturer for certain as I have left over scraps with the selvage name etc. A patch would cover the current area but it's bad fabric and eventually it will all shred...I can see it pulling away from stitching in other areas. I appreciate your time in replying to my post!
Old 03-15-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I've refronted and rebacked a number of quilts, works fine. It is a lovely quilt and a lovely gesture.
And yes, don't depend on the dark colors for longevity.
Hello Kalama ~ Yet another member warning about dark colors!!!! Thank-you, I never knew this. I appreciate you taking the time to encourage me that replacing the backing can be done.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
You don't need to cut off binding just undo the hand stitching on the back and lay new backing on top then machine exactly on old row os stitching then hand stitch.
Have you thought about tying the quilt and not quilt.
WOW Dottie! You and Gayle have suggested the same thing about the binding...both of you are BRILLIANT! Of course this suggestion will make it much easier and makes total sense!

About tying which has also been suggested would you bring the ties to the front? it is Warm and Natural batting which if memory serves needs to be quilted every 8 or 10 inches would I tie about the same distance as the batting suggests for quilting? Also what would I use for the tying I know people used to use knitting yarn but it frays and mats doesn't it?

Thanks for taking the time to 'help' me with this. Now how about coming on over and showing me in person! LOL

Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
This is what I would do too. It's only the hand sewing of the binding that needs to be un-sewn. I too think I would leave the misbehaving back on, add another backing and tie it backwards. Good luck; so sorry this happened!
Hi AuntPiggy... (so nice to 'talk' with you again) Thank-you for taking the time to make these suggestions...tying seems to have several members suggesting this technique. What do you suggest I use for the tying? I'm thinking this would have the least affect to the LA quilting on front. I didn't want to really machine quilt it as I have no experience quilting something this big on my domestic machine with the 8" throat area. That's why I send out quilts to the LA...and I've only stitched in the ditch on small wall hangings and such.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I would cut off the binding and then put on a new backing and rebind. I have been Quilting the Front to the batting then once done FMQ all the layers together.

Thank you Carolaug...Hmm still contemplating what to do but so grateful to you and everyone for the suggestions.