Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Brace Yourself

I use Freecycle to get rid of clothes and things. I think Goodwill which is close is over priced in some things, so take advantage of Freecycle to give to people who can use stuff I do not want any more. It is nationwide. I have gotten some nice fabric in the past 4 years that I have been a member plus other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritacarl
    Quote Originally Posted by JanTx
    Hold on! Help's coming! In our local newspaper last week's headline was that our farmers are planting more cotton this year because of the shortage. so ... just wait a bit. :) That will mean a rice, corn, or
    maize shortage though cause that's what they had been planting more of.

I have stopped taking my clothes to our local thrift shop. I had over 20 coats I had collected over the years - mine, my kids, husband, even some from my mother-in-law. They had me drive around to the gargage-type door to meet a worker there to unload them. When that door rolled up and I saw a MOUNTAIN of black trash bags that people had put their donations in - this mountain had to be 12 feet high - I was so depressed. I know they need workers to sort it and space to put it, but it will be YEARS before what I take there will be availalbe for anyone to use. So .. I'm seeking other places to take my things. Wish I could volunteer there to help them, but work two jobs and just can't fit it in. Some of our churches have drop boxes and there's a smaller place in town I can take things to.
    Same here. I took some thingsto The Salvation Army and when she opened the door the stacks of clothes were 6 feet high. I toss my stuff in the garbage now. Course by the time I get done with them, they are beyond Shabby shiek. My neighbor burns all his.

I buy a lot of fabric online alot when they offer free shipping. Would prefer to by from my LQS but they are so expensive. It hurts to buy the same fabric online for a lot less even if I have to pay for shipping.

I love sewing to much so I will continue to buy but try to get the most for my dollar when I can.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails
    Quote Originally Posted by shadoh
    i hear today on the radio that cotton and corn are doubling in price. so save your scraps and make mile-a-minute quilts. they are lovely with sashing and anything goes.
    i don't know about the corn.........
    What's a mile a minute quilt?

My advise to everybody is buy from Connecting threads, they almost always have sales, some you can get for 2.49 yard. I give them most of my money lol

Me too. I've been buying from connecting threads for a long time. Their colors used to be rather dull, but are quite pretty now. Their fabric ig good enough for me. I quilt for the pleasure of it, not competions, but have always gotten good reviews for my work. I use their thread too, most of the time. I find it wonderful to be able to afford to buy anything. My DH and live on $1500 a mo. so there is not money to waste!
    :) :) :-) :-)

dls
    It is a global problem. There have been crop failures in the major cotton producing countries of the world so there is a global shortage of cotton. American prices are still pretty reasonable to those of us who live in Canada.

I was thinking of downsizing my stash but after reading this thread, maybe I had better keep it all. Doesn't look like I'll be buying any new fabric for a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    stitchinwitch, have you looked at FM Store on Sunshine? I was there a couple of weeks ago and he still has his prices down. He said he didn't know how long he was going to be able to keep them down but he is doing all he can not to raise his prices.

You've got to have a pretty sharp eye when looking for fabric but you just can't beat his prices.
    What is a FM store?

Blog Entries
    And this is how we stimulate the sinking economy? Grrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by lovingheart
    That is depressing news! :cry:
    Here is another. Last time I bought Jello at Walmart last fall it was 50 cents a box for the small box. Yesterday at Walmart it is 64 cents. Down the street at the local foodmart the same size box of Jello is $1.06 a box. And me too, I am using up my scrapes rather than buy new fabrics. I'll be doing a lot of scrappy quilts and crafts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascalonious
    Along with everything else, except our wages!
    I hear ya, hubby works for the goverment, and they put a freeze on his wages..

and he only makes about 35,000 a year...

Wouldnt it be great if the goverment would take a pay cut down to that and try to live on it....

I bet the debt would have a decrease after that...
    We can always dream, right?

I believe that if America would stand together, the government would have to change to live like we have too live. They didn't have 250.00 cost of living too give seniors and military this past year but they gave themselves 4500.00 each. Why? Because we allow it. I draw 12,000.00 a year and gas has gone up, food has gone up and forget about fabric, cause I can't even buy used clothing at the goodwill stores. We lost a good will store here because their prices were about as high as the stores when they have a sale. I have put most of my quilting that I wanted too do before I left this old world aside. I was gonna make a top and try too pay someone too quilt it too auction off here too help our fire department. Can't even think of that right now. Have too pay house payment and water bill is 70.00 and electric runs a little over 230.00 a month while I sat here and freeze. Now I am just making statements and not complaining because I am thankful that I alive. Every day above ground makes me happy!!! Sorry for rambling

Stopped at a quilt shop on way home today.....18.98 $ canadian a yard for quilting coton....YIKES!!

Blog Entries
    A different subject....is your avatar a quilt? If it is, I am absolutely crippled with envy.

Blog Entries
    Crashnquilt I"m going to be moving to Lebanon the rest of my family is there I love it out there It will be nice to know some one whoknows where the shops are -I get lost in Sprfld -hell I get lost in the house. My sil works at Sonic -Dad lives on N.Washington I"m planning a trip this summer to look at houses hopefully sooner if I can sell this place :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'll just be buying more and more very large size pcs of cotton clothing at thrift stores and yard sales! sharet

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    hmmmmmm maybe all those clothes I have in the back of the closet and in bins, I should cut up - heck - 'can't wear that small size any more, so I just MIGHT 'repurpose it!!
    That is what I am going to do!! Have lots of "small size" that cannot wear now and doubt VERY seriously if I ever will again.

Blog Entries
    i had the same trouble.....looked all over for something at a regular price, but other than quilting tools, etc i didn't find anything! even the magazines were 10%, so i couldn't use the coupon.

Blog Entries
    i had the same trouble.at JA's....looked all over for something at a regular price, but other than quilting tools, etc i didn't find anything! even the magazines were 10%, so i couldn't use the coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Have you figured how much it would cost to use dried beans - especially if you use propane. I think I would opt to buy the can.

sWe only have one station in town that doesn't have ethanol AND I paid $1.49 for one bell pepper yesterday. And did you ever think you would see a can of pinto beans for $1? I buy dry beans & take the extra time to cook.
    I have been HOARDING dried beans....yes, hoarding them...I buy in large bulk bags and store in NEW 5gal. buckets that are then sealed with duct tape....

Food is going thru the roof as is all else...no inflation, no depression my aunt fannie![/quote]

Lettuce $2.50 a head here. And that's iceberg lettuce - absolutely no nutritional value.

It isn't the fault of the fabric shops for price increases on fabric. Cotton has gone up 123% in price. Saw it on the Denver News stations 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    BellaBoo, ours is bad too. I dont think really poor people can afford to shop at our Goodwill store. Jeans are 8.00 and 9.00 for used!
    Wow! we have a Goodwill Clearance Store where clothes are $159/LB and everyother Saturday they have 50% OFF at their regular store. Jeans are usually $4-5/pair.

I will be shopping the garage sales more this year! Glad I built quite the stash this past year. I have enough fabric to last several years.

Whar is this going to do to the independent stores? That would be a worry!

We all need to remember that there are alot of "tools" out there in hardware/home improvement stores that cost just a fraction of what is charged in our fabric/quilt stores. Example - the "carpet rotary cutter.blade that was under $5 if memory serves me. Next time you need a "notion" just go to one of those home improvement stores and stroll the aisles looking how you could "repurpose" the tools there! Might be fun!

Having started quilting 17 mos. ago, i had no stash but have increased it slowly over that time. Because of the increased prices and I'm on a fixed income, I do shop at GW and all the other thrift shops. I buy 100% wool jackets, skirts, sweaters, !00% cotton dresses, shirts, skirts, pants, etc. I wash everything and cut them all up into the largest pieces I can get and store them for quilts and wool felting projects. I went to one junk store and found wool garments and 100% silk garments for as little as $.50 each! They were on the sale racks because no one wants the styles or tailored-type clothing anymore. I love to find the silks. Their colors are like jewels! I used silk material in my stump embroidery projects. Some garments hang in the thrift stores for months or get shifted to another store in a different part of town because they'er out-dated and people want up to-date clothes... I old now and up to-date doesn't matter a whole lot to me anymore! LOL

We are all going to have to tighten our belts when it comes to spending, buying fabric is out of the question for me right now unless I find a sale. I have gone to local thrift stores and purchased items to create other more useful things for people to use, when I use the materials from thrift stores to give more people comfort. My goal for 2011 is to use more of the fabrics from my stash, and to only purchase what I have to, hopefully by the time I use them the price of cotton will have gone down

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast