Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Brace Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    hey out there< I just looked on on connecting threads and there is a lot of clearence material for 2.75 to $3.50. I have not orderd from them. Is the fabric Ok? I don't see the manufacturer.
    I use their fabric all the time and think it is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by shadoh
    i hear today on the radio that cotton and corn are doubling in price. so save your scraps and make mile-a-minute quilts. they are lovely with sashing and anything goes.
    i don't know about the corn.........
    Corn. Well, this is just my opinion, but a good majority of the farmers around here are growing corn for ethanol....because the demand is high. Ethanol blends are ususally several cents cheaper than the regular gas. Almost every little town around here now has an ethanol plant. I think it is a "catch 22". It is good for the local economy, and has given the farmers a better living wage than they have seen in a long time...but that means that there is a lot less corn being grown as food crops...so every food that has corn listed as an ingredient is becoming more expensive because that ingredient is now more pricey. Our town has seen tax revenues go up because the farmers are buying the things that they couldnt buy when the prices were down.....so its a good and bad thing....a catch 22.

(sorry about my little rant) BUT...you can still find awesome fabric at decent prices at places like Thousands of Bolts! Hope they can hold their prices for a while.
    It is also harder on engines and causing many repairs

Have you figured how much it would cost to use dried beans - especially if you use propane. I think I would opt to buy the can.

sWe only have one station in town that doesn't have ethanol AND I paid $1.49 for one bell pepper yesterday. And did you ever think you would see a can of pinto beans for $1? I buy dry beans & take the extra time to cook.[/quote]

And they say no inflation. HaHa!!

While travelling home from No. Carolina, I stopped at a quilt shop in West Virginia. The owner said they are looking at fabric going up to $18/yd. Don't know when..but I guess it's coming.

I'm holding on to my stash and adding little bits as they go on sale.

I teach at a quilt shop, one of the bennies is a 10% off of anything in the store. It helps, I always wait till there is a sale plus the 10.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JanTx
    Hold on! Help's coming! In our local newspaper last week's headline was that our farmers are planting more cotton this year because of the shortage. so ... just wait a bit. :) That will mean a rice, corn, or
    maize shortage though cause that's what they had been planting more of.

I have stopped taking my clothes to our local thrift shop. I had over 20 coats I had collected over the years - mine, my kids, husband, even some from my mother-in-law. They had me drive around to the gargage-type door to meet a worker there to unload them. When that door rolled up and I saw a MOUNTAIN of black trash bags that people had put their donations in - this mountain had to be 12 feet high - I was so depressed. I know they need workers to sort it and space to put it, but it will be YEARS before what I take there will be availalbe for anyone to use. So .. I'm seeking other places to take my things. Wish I could volunteer there to help them, but work two jobs and just can't fit it in. Some of our churches have drop boxes and there's a smaller place in town I can take things to.
    Same here. I took some thingsto The Salvation Army and when she opened the door the stacks of clothes were 6 feet high. I toss my stuff in the garbage now. Course by the time I get done with them, they are beyond Shabby shiek. My neighbor burns all his.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    BellaBoo, ours is bad too. I dont think really poor people can afford to shop at our Goodwill store. Jeans are 8.00 and 9.00 for used!
    And that is only if they can beat the people who feel they are doing good and recycling by buying out all the wool and cotton clothes to cut up for crafting!
    Sorry, this is a sore point for me. If a person wants to recycle clothing into crafting of any sort, I have no problem with that... IF they are using clothing from their own household. If you can afford new cloth, don't use the wool suit that might have helped a poor person get a job, or keep them from being quite as cold...
    (OK off my soapbox... sorry for the rant)
    I am sorry you feel that way,but let me tell you that when I buy the used clothing at the thrift store, they have already been there 3 months when they get pulled for the $.23 racks...they are always outdated, have stains, tears, etc, so nobody bought them...they are fair game....as are all those 80's denim jumpers nobody wants to wear!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Have you figured how much it would cost to use dried beans - especially if you use propane. I think I would opt to buy the can.

sWe only have one station in town that doesn't have ethanol AND I paid $1.49 for one bell pepper yesterday. And did you ever think you would see a can of pinto beans for $1? I buy dry beans & take the extra time to cook.
    [/quote]

I have been HOARDING dried beans....yes, hoarding them...I buy in large bulk bags and store in NEW 5gal. buckets that are then sealed with duct tape....

Food is going thru the roof as is all else...no inflation, no depression my aunt fannie!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    hey out there< I just looked on on connecting threads and there is a lot of clearence material for 2.75 to $3.50. I have not orderd from them. Is the fabric Ok? I don't see the manufacturer.
    I use their fabric all the time and think it is just fine.
    there fabric is no longer the quality it used to be. Made in China now as well and is considerably thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by crochetetc
    After seeing the quality at Joann's and the prices, all my money goes to the LQS. I can get high quality batiks for $8.50 a yard. Much rather spend my money there. I just spent $70 for a nice size baby quilt (includes everything except batting) that will last a long time.
    I SO agree with this! I'd rather my money stay local anyway!

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    I don't think the corn will work for quilting *L* Just kiddin' ya..
    I think I have enough stash to last me 10 years...that is if what's old is going to come back in style again..which it seems to be doing..
    I noticed the other day that some of the fabrics at our LQS seem thinner to me...their quality seems to be a cheaper grade of cotton..I think everyone is cutting corners. I did get some nice blue fabric down in the basement sale for $5 a yard. Wish I had more $$ to have spent that day. They had some nice fabrics on the clearance table. The quality of those ones seemed better than the new stock that is higher priced. I got an email from the other LQS that they are making room for a new shipment and have fabric clearanced down to $3 a yard. I plan to go check it out this weekend when my DD & go to town.
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B.
    On the sunny (today) Cal-Ore border
    i hear today on the radio that cotton and corn are doubling in price. so save your scraps and make mile-a-minute quilts. they are lovely with sashing and anything goes.

I am shocked at the prices at Joann and their material isn't even all that nice. It's sad.

FM store is on the Southwest corner of Fremont and Sunshine. Definitely worth the stop.
    Quilt Sampler is in the Plaza \Shopping Center at the corner of Sunshine and Glenstone on the Southeast corner.
    Merrily We Quilt Along is just West off Hwy 65 at the Sunshine Exit and it has a tea room that has great sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    It is on Sunshine - near St Johns Hospital, but not of Glenstone. Fabric Depot is on Glenstone.

Quote Originally Posted by cindit
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    stitchinwitch, have you looked at FM Store on Sunshine? I was there a couple of weeks ago and he still has his prices down. He said he didn't know how long he was going to be able to keep them down but he is doing all he can not to raise his prices.

You've got to have a pretty sharp eye when looking for fabric but you just can't beat his prices.

Is this the store in the strip mall on Sunshine and Glenstone? My daughters live in Spfd and I'll be there next month.

What are mile a minute quilts? thanks, Linda

JAK
    I just last night on the news saw where the price of cotton has almost tripled in price in the past year. Well, along with everything else.

Blog Entries
    There's always a thread about the price of fabric.I have enough fabric to do me for a good while,but if it hits $18yd...as someone said, I'm a "used to be quilter".

There's some prices I wouldn't pay even if I was a millionaire & that's one of them.

Seems like fabric is trying to catch up with other things most ppl buy, like food,heat,fuel,housing,taxes & insur.It's also about the only thing we have a choice in buying.

Of course,the news every eve says the bad times are over.Pardon me while I laugh.

I've been bracing myself, and "pacing myself" since October. The increased prices are not a surprise. At the end of last year I bought a good amount of fabric on sale, in anticipation of the increase that was to come in 2011. I can make quilts from my stash for a few years, with only minor supplementing necessary. Yes, the price of fabric is alarming, but remember, quilting is a hobby. All hobbies have their own costs. We each do what we can.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaJR
    I have a problem with places that raise the prices of inventory they already have to match the new inventory. Otherwise it is easier for me to accept the new prices, but not fair to the consumer when they sell older merchandise at the new prices. Hope that makes sense LOL.
    If you have 50 thingamigigs and you order 25 more and put them all in the same bin - there's no way for your computer to tell which ones cost more. Therefore all the thingamigigs have to be priced at the higher price. The only way that I know of to keep the old from the new is to give it a new number and that just isn't possible if you have several thousand items in your store and a published parts list.

Blog Entries
    Hummmmm, well, okay, I really do feel dumped on this week! First it's Sunbonnet Sue and so many people bashing her and her innocence. Now I'm supposed to feel bad because I buy Ralph Lauren cottons and wool skirts to use in my quilting. Come on now, Ladies, be reasonable. This is supposed to be FUN, unless it is how you make your living, then it's your lively hood and I wouldn't blame you for insisting that LQS is the only way to go!

Well let hope I can brighten your day. I see the sun bonnet sue quilt behind you and it look beautiful to me.
    You have a Blessed day

You're putting the corn in your car along with the gasoline. Ours is at least 10% ethonol now - less mileage per gallon - and it was supposed to help keep the cost down. Sure!

Wow, ONCE AGAIN, I didnt say anything was wrong with people cutting up clothes at the GW stores. ALl MY post implies is that GW shopping is very expensive. I dont really care what anyone cuts up....I do it all the time. The other quote isnt mine at all.

formerly Chicago suburb now Mooresville,NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascalonious
    Along with everything else, except our wages!
    I hear ya, hubby works for the goverment, and they put a freeze on his wages..

and he only makes about 35,000 a year...

Wouldnt it be great if the goverment would take a pay cut down to that and try to live on it....

I bet the debt would have a decrease after that...
    Amen to that. Walk in my our shoes and then decide what to cut. Haven't heard of any congressmen or senators taking big pay cuts or having to kick in a larger chunk for health insurance or loosing their retirement !!

We were just talking if the top 50 people in the US would "donate" 1/2 of their MULTI MILLIONS on UP to the "cause". We have alot of billionaires in the US that do give to other countries - what would happen if they could sell at least one or two of their homes, give (like is done in "Secret Millionaire") That would really help their country, too! The rest of us are scraping by - they are living "high on the hog"

[quote=kashu][quote=Lv2sew2011]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascalonious
    I hear ya, hubby works for the goverment, and they put a freeze on his wages..

Wouldnt it be great if the goverment would take a pay cut down to that and try to live on it....

I bet the debt would have a decrease after that...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast