Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Brace Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    BellaBoo, ours is bad too. I dont think really poor people can afford to shop at our Goodwill store. Jeans are 8.00 and 9.00 for used!
    And that is only if they can beat the people who feel they are doing good and recycling by buying out all the wool and cotton clothes to cut up for crafting!
    Sorry, this is a sore point for me. If a person wants to recycle clothing into crafting of any sort, I have no problem with that... IF they are using clothing from their own household. If you can afford new cloth, don't use the wool suit that might have helped a poor person get a job, or keep them from being quite as cold...
    (OK off my soapbox... sorry for the rant)
    Well, I don't think those few people who buy used clothing to cut up are taking it ALL from the thrift/Goodwill/Salvation Army stores. I recently went to a thrift store in my area, and they had TONS of used clothing, including all types, sizes, genders, etc.

Please be careful about painting a picture with such a WIDE brush, or making a statement that really is NOT SO TRUE!! If it's your own experience that you are commenting on, fine. Otherwise....maybe state that this is your own opinion.
    I feel that just about anything that we comment on is 'our opinion'. If I took everything on this board as fact, I wouldn't still be reading these posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Well, I don't think those few people who buy used clothing to cut up are taking it ALL from the thrift/Goodwill/Salvation Army stores. I recently went to a thrift store in my area, and they had TONS of used clothing, including all types, sizes, genders, etc.

Please be careful about painting a picture with such a WIDE brush, or making a statement that really is NOT SO TRUE!! If it's your own experience that you are commenting on, fine. Otherwise....maybe state that this is your own opinion.
    I am very sorry if anything I said offended anyone. Perhaps I should have just kept my opinions to myself.

Blog Entries
    If you can afford new cloth, don't use the wool suit that might have helped a poor person get a job, or keep them from being quite as cold...

That is so far out of left field thinking, it doesn't make sense. The newer in style wool blended suits/clothes at the thrift store are what the people are buying to wear, the older out of style pure fiber items are what quilters/needleworkers buy.

Tilladare you didn't offend me. We have no Goodwill stores in our area only a Salvation Army. One of the clerks there told me poor people seldom shop there--it's the middle class more often but that's what they want. The money they earn from selling the stuff is what they use for their programs--buying food, helping with shelter and utilities, etc. So I don't think anyone should feel they are taking from the poor because they buy things in these types of stores.

About the US farmers planting more cotton, what will they do, sell it overseas because i don't think anyone is the US makes fabric anymore. I was in the LQS store and Joanns today and I looked at the label on every bolt I picked up. Everything was made in Korea, China and Japan. The woman at the LQS said she has no US made fabrics available from any of the manufacturers she buys from.

Amen for this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascalonious
    Along with everything else, except our wages!
    I hear ya, hubby works for the goverment, and they put a freeze on his wages..

and he only makes about 35,000 a year...

Wouldnt it be great if the goverment would take a pay cut down to that and try to live on it....

I bet the debt would have a decrease after that...

hey out there< I just looked on on connecting threads and there is a lot of clearence material for 2.75 to $3.50. I have not orderd from them. Is the fabric Ok? I don't see the manufacturer.

it is from mexico...i did not like the fabric, others do, the colours are dull as well

Beaver Creek...think that's the name has good prices on their fabric. Also the Quilted B usually has their charm packs on sale for around $6.00. I wait until what I want goes on sale. Counterpane also has good prices. Fabric Depot takes FOREVER to get your shipment to you. The Old Country Store has almost anything you want for under $8.00 a yard...they never have a sale though.

use the 'search' option at this site and enter 'mile a minute quilt' and you will see links.

Blog Entries
    I've always been a thrifty shopper on a budget,so being creative is nothing new.I do wonder how any quilter with a full time job can put all that time into finding lower priced fabric.It takes a bunch of time, even on line & who can afford gas to run around shopping?
    One thing I do is to keep a list of fav on line shops,along with their shipping costs per yard to my zip code.When I find a local sale, I compare the price,plus tax.......to online plus shipping.Prices being equal,I go with quality.

"I cringe at some of the prices I see, but it just makes me be a more creative and smarter shopper and quilter. You can still find lots of bargains, sales, good priced websites, ebay, craigslist, this board, and sales at quilt shops. Plus garage sales, resale shops, etc."

And it keeps getting worse!

Blog Entries
    If they keep raising their prices who is going to be able to buy from them when they don't give raises to the people who buy their things. You can't have it both ways. Something has to give.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetetc
    After seeing the quality at Joann's and the prices, all my money goes to the LQS. I can get high quality batiks for $8.50 a yard. Much rather spend my money there. I just spent $70 for a nice size baby quilt (includes everything except batting) that will last a long time.
    Love the looks of your dog - Is she/he a pointer-Lab? Our Bess is and looks like your dog! She is asleep right now with a blanket on! She is our Diva!!!! Edie

I found out that if you ship in a shoe box it is cheaper then using the PO boxes(PR). I have been shipping UPS it is .89 cents cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by shadoh
    i hear today on the radio that cotton and corn are doubling in price. so save your scraps and make mile-a-minute quilts. they are lovely with sashing and anything goes.
    i don't know about the corn.........
    What's a mile a minute quilt?

My advise to everybody is buy from Connecting threads, they almost always have sales, some you can get for 2.49 yard. I give them most of my money lol

I quit going to Joann's 2 months ago when I went there and found everything I wanted was on sale and counld not use 1 coupon.GEE I was so mad.

Good morning all - I am a newbe up here
    I have purchased from Connecting Threads and their fabrics are terrific. The quality is really good cottons. I have been buying from them for several years and am always delight when I get my fabric. I always try to purchase over $50.00 as the shipping is free with $50.00 or more and buy through them on the net there is no taxes on purchases.

Blog Entries
    One thing, there is state tax if the company you buy from has a business in your state, or even a warehouse,so check before buying.Connecting Threads is in Ohio,as is Thousands of Bolts.Not a problem, but better to know than to be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkokr
    Good morning all - I am a newbe up here
    I have purchased from Connecting Threads and their fabrics are terrific. The quality is really good cottons. I have been buying from them for several years and am always delight when I get my fabric. I always try to purchase over $50.00 as the shipping is free with $50.00 or more and buy through them on the net there is no taxes on purchases.

I live in Florida, but you point on that is good, I forgot about that and the tax if they are in your state. They sure try to get us coming and going with the taxes.

Blog Entries
    BellaBoo, ours is bad too. I dont think really poor people can afford to shop at our Goodwill store. Jeans are 8.00 and 9.00 for used!
    And that is only if they can beat the people who feel they are doing good and recycling by buying out all the wool and cotton clothes to cut up for crafting!
    Sorry, this is a sore point for me. If a person wants to recycle clothing into crafting of any sort, I have no problem with that... IF they are using clothing from their own household. If you can afford new cloth, don't use the wool suit that might have helped a poor person get a job, or keep them from being quite as cold...
    (OK off my soapbox... sorry for the rant)
    Last time I checked, this was a free country and we can do what we choose with what we buy. Did you ever look at the people shopping in the thrift shops? They are not poor people?

Oka, everyone. All I said is that if you were really poor, you wouldnt be able to buy 8.00 or 9.00 jeanat Good Will. PLEASE read my post, Grann of 6, I didnt even write what you highlighted, only the first part.
    And I never meant to offend anyone......yes its a free country....but please read who writes something before you post.

Blog Entries
    sorry, what is fm store?

Blog Entries
    Oka, everyone. All I said is that if you were really poor, you wouldnt be able to buy 8.00 or 9.00 jeanat Good Will. PLEASE read my post, Grann of 6, I didnt even write what you highlighted, only the first part.
    And I never meant to offend anyone......yes its a free country....but please read who writes something before you post.
    I read your post, and you said not to buy a wool suit that some poor person could buy to wear to a job.

No, I didnt. I never said ANY of that. Just the first part. I can scroll back and see WHO wrote it for you, if you want.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marymay
    I quit going to Joann's 2 months ago when I went there and found everything I wanted was on sale and counld not use 1 coupon.GEE I was so mad.
    I agree - I went on Sunday with a load of coupons and came out with a spool of thread and a tape measure - the only things I found not on sale :D but then I didn't spend much :D

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast