Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Brace Yourself

One of our LQS told our quilt group that in the next several months that all new fabric that she recieves will be going up in price. Anything that she has now will stay at it's current price and will not go up.

Ladies, I just saw a report on MSNBC Business section that said that Cotton is the best investment in commodities right now earning investors over a 300% profit! It's even outperforming gold and silver.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabs
    Beaver Creek...think that's the name has good prices on their fabric. Also the Quilted B usually has their charm packs on sale for around $6.00. I wait until what I want goes on sale. Counterpane also has good prices. Fabric Depot takes FOREVER to get your shipment to you. The Old Country Store has almost anything you want for under $8.00 a yard...they never have a sale though.
    a thousand bolts has decent prices. and decent fabric.

On my soapbox:
    As long as we can buy three shirts for $5.00 each (like at Target) then why wouldn't I buy 3 or 4?
    My house was built in 1950 and the closets are very small. Back then no one would have had that many clothes. No wonder we all need outside storage spaces around town.
    Gas here just went to $3.45 and we are lower than other states. $3.79 at the BP near work.

FYI Hancocks here has suddenly started having much nicer fabric (not all of it) and lots more choices AND 30% off. I paid $3.00/yard recently and plan to go back since I have no stash to speak of. I paid $9.50/yard for some nice Moda fabrics locally and $8.50/yard in Sarasoata a month ago for batiks and calicos. But watch out for the $1.99 fat quarters: they are not that fat and the quality is not always great. Wash it and it is even less fat.

You won't be getting batiks for $8.50 per yard anywhere for very long. I work 1 day a week at an LQS and I literally can't believe how fast the prices are going up. The increases are due to mfg and shipping increases. The LQS's aren't getting any more.

Quote Originally Posted by crochetetc
    After seeing the quality at Joann's and the prices, all my money goes to the LQS. I can get high quality batiks for $8.50 a yard. Much rather spend my money there. I just spent $70 for a nice size baby quilt (includes everything except batting) that will last a long time.

Wow, I wish I could afford to invest, lol! I think ALOT of us, me included, have been buying NOW to stock up!

Fabric Outlet on Glenstone has decent prices too.

Blog Entries
    I'm right there with you Lv2sew2011. I feel sorry for those giving up their lives on the front and the big "O" freezes annual pay raise, however, Congress received their's every year and a hefty one at that along with free health care.

Blog Entries
    As time goes on, I believe these companies who keep raising their prices to the sky limits, will suffer; we do not get raises in our SS checks, and the increases in household items are skyrocketing whether it be food, supplies, or whatever; the $ is not out here to keep spending like we are expected to - not sure when anyone up in government will see that the two don't balance! Somehow this has to come to an end - we may never see it in our lifetime, but we sure are out of balance!

In the meantime, unless I find a good bargain in fabric, I'm quiltint off my stash! I have so many yards of perfectly good fabric, why not do my own buy down and use it first! Stockpiling it is not going to make it better - maybe more valuable, but I think I'll use it and be happy - it can make many a quilt and many happy owners of new quilts!

That's my soapbox for the day - Have good day and keep quilting gals and guys! Love you all - and all the help you all are - the tutorials will help me find a way to use all this fabric whether it is yardgoods, or scraps! Thanks to you all - the price we put on friends will always skyrocket - they can't put a limit on that! One good thing!

Junior Member QuiltingrandmafromMi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Amen!!! to your post, the government needs a lessen in reduced paychecks! They should have to live in our shoes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just shipped a package that weighed 18 pounds furnished my own box and sent priority mail for 26.00. It is cheaper if you don't use their box.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    stitchinwitch, have you looked at FM Store on Sunshine? I was there a couple of weeks ago and he still has his prices down. He said he didn't know how long he was going to be able to keep them down but he is doing all he can not to raise his prices.

You've got to have a pretty sharp eye when looking for fabric but you just can't beat his prices.
    Is this the store in the strip mall on Sunshine and Glenstone? My daughters live in Spfd and I'll be there next month.

I've order from Connecting Thread several times and have really been happy with everything. Like their "cuts" as they are actually what they say and sometimes a little more. They are very quick as the order is usually here in 4 days. AND how many times have you ordered less than $50 worth of fabric, etc. and missed out on the free shipping? Me, NEVER, smile. Way to go "CT", thanks.

I also love Conncting Threads. Love the batiks!

I also love their fabrics, I haven't tried their bastiks yet. I try to always wait for there sales which are really reasonable. And as you I love the free shipping.

Dose anyone know why cotton is going up so much? Has there beena blight or disease? Iknow weather can effect crops like corn and probably cotton, oranges, etc, but why suddenly cotton?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    And that is only if they can beat the people who feel they are doing good and recycling by buying out all the wool and cotton clothes to cut up for crafting!
    Sorry, this is a sore point for me. If a person wants to recycle clothing into crafting of any sort, I have no problem with that... IF they are using clothing from their own household. If you can afford new cloth, don't use the wool suit that might have helped a poor person get a job, or keep them from being quite as cold...
    (OK off my soapbox... sorry for the rant)
    Maybe where you live it is that way - but I don't think that everyone who makes recycled clothing projects is beating some poor(er) person out of clothing.
    It's not that way here in Poland either. I had a clothing give-away last summer. (for the poor). I sent out two hundred letters to various families that we have the names of and of all the clothes that were taken...ladies' suits and nice dresses were NOT taken.

Don't feel bad about buying used clothing for cutting up. The poor do not usually lack clothing. At least not in Poland. And in the states? When the floods happened in New Orleans they had to tell people to quit giving clothes and give other very needed items like water and generators.

I can relate to this, like soooooooo many others.

It is on Sunshine - near St Johns Hospital, but not of Glenstone. Fabric Depot is on Glenstone.

Quote Originally Posted by cindit
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    stitchinwitch, have you looked at FM Store on Sunshine? I was there a couple of weeks ago and he still has his prices down. He said he didn't know how long he was going to be able to keep them down but he is doing all he can not to raise his prices.

You've got to have a pretty sharp eye when looking for fabric but you just can't beat his prices.
    Is this the store in the strip mall on Sunshine and Glenstone? My daughters live in Spfd and I'll be there next month.

Quote Originally Posted by shadoh
    i hear today on the radio that cotton and corn are doubling in price. so save your scraps and make mile-a-minute quilts. they are lovely with sashing and anything goes.
    i don't know about the corn.........
    Corn. Well, this is just my opinion, but a good majority of the farmers around here are growing corn for ethanol....because the demand is high. Ethanol blends are ususally several cents cheaper than the regular gas. Almost every little town around here now has an ethanol plant. I think it is a "catch 22". It is good for the local economy, and has given the farmers a better living wage than they have seen in a long time...but that means that there is a lot less corn being grown as food crops...so every food that has corn listed as an ingredient is becoming more expensive because that ingredient is now more pricey. Our town has seen tax revenues go up because the farmers are buying the things that they couldnt buy when the prices were down.....so its a good and bad thing....a catch 22.

(sorry about my little rant) BUT...you can still find awesome fabric at decent prices at places like Thousands of Bolts! Hope they can hold their prices for a while.

I am a recycler of the first order. There is a lot of fabric in some clothing and it does make wonderful quilts. I use appliques by machine and make wonderfull art quilts out of silk ties. At first cutting up perfectly good clothing is hard, but once you do it, your minds eye will see lots of possibilities. Set your self free.
    I used my friend's fathers clothing to make a quilt for his mother, she loved it, and my friend is now a hero. So go for it.
    Rosie

I attend a block of the month club at Quilts etc in Salt Lake and at the last meeting, the owner told us that they had just received 10.00 a yard fabric. Every store I have been to in the last month have raised their prices. So I have tried to use what I have and only by clearance.

If you find any good buys out there let me know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by shadoh
    i hear today on the radio that cotton and corn are doubling in price. so save your scraps and make mile-a-minute quilts. they are lovely with sashing and anything goes.
    i don't know about the corn.........
    Corn. Well, this is just my opinion, but a good majority of the farmers around here are growing corn for ethanol....because the demand is high. Ethanol blends are ususally several cents cheaper than the regular gas. Almost every little town around here now has an ethanol plant. I think it is a "catch 22". It is good for the local economy, and has given the farmers a better living wage than they have seen in a long time...but that means that there is a lot less corn being grown as food crops...so every food that has corn listed as an ingredient is becoming more expensive because that ingredient is now more pricey. Our town has seen tax revenues go up because the farmers are buying the things that they couldnt buy when the prices were down.....so its a good and bad thing....a catch 22.

(sorry about my little rant) BUT...you can still find awesome fabric at decent prices at places like Thousands of Bolts! Hope they can hold their prices for a while.
    We only have one station in town that doesn't have ethanol added to their gasoline. My car service man says you get better gas milage WITHOUT it. And the prices are the same for it and without it.

I know the thing that is driving up our prices where I work is freight. It's out of sight!!!

AND I paid $1.49 for one bell pepper yesterday. And did you ever think you would see a can of pinto beans for $1? I buy dry beans & take the extra time to cook.

I have a problem with places that raise the prices of inventory they already have to match the new inventory. Otherwise it is easier for me to accept the new prices, but not fair to the consumer when they sell older merchandise at the new prices. Hope that makes sense LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalonious
    Along with everything else, except our wages!
    Exactly!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast