Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Brace Yourself

i like to shop thift shops also but won't go to goodwill or salvation army they charge way ro much. i can get most of thier stuff cheaper new. i go to the DAV stores that support our disabled vets and prices are usually good. i also donate to them when i have anything to give.

Blog Entries
    We are starting to buy are food once a month and stay home and do what ever.I'm either sewing or on the computer.But i plan on going to a quilt expo 2 hours away the first of next month.Connie in CO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    BellaBoo, ours is bad too. I dont think really poor people can afford to shop at our Goodwill store. Jeans are 8.00 and 9.00 for used!
    And that is only if they can beat the people who feel they are doing good and recycling by buying out all the wool and cotton clothes to cut up for crafting!
    Sorry, this is a sore point for me. If a person wants to recycle clothing into crafting of any sort, I have no problem with that... IF they are using clothing from their own household. If you can afford new cloth, don't use the wool suit that might have helped a poor person get a job, or keep them from being quite as cold...
    (OK off my soapbox... sorry for the rant)
    Well, I don't think those few people who buy used clothing to cut up are taking it ALL from the thrift/Goodwill/Salvation Army stores. I recently went to a thrift store in my area, and they had TONS of used clothing, including all types, sizes, genders, etc.

Please be careful about painting a picture with such a WIDE brush, or making a statement that really is NOT SO TRUE!! If it's your own experience that you are commenting on, fine. Otherwise....maybe state that this is your own opinion.
    The GW here gets so much in that they run sales every day and when that doesn't work they use trash bags to bag clothing and sell it for $1.00 a bag. They simply can't handle the volume and there are always lots of customers in there every day. Our SA here donates clothes, food and shelter to anyone who needs it. So do a lot of the churches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnna
    Quote Originally Posted by shadoh
    i hear today on the radio that cotton and corn are doubling in price. so save your scraps and make mile-a-minute quilts. they are lovely with sashing and anything goes.
    i don't know about the corn.........
    Ok, I have to ask....what's a mile-a-minute quilt? I'm guessing something scrappy.
    Thanks,
    MaryAnna
    I want to know too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkokr
    Good morning all - I am a newbe up here
    I have purchased from Connecting Threads and their fabrics are terrific. The quality is really good cottons. I have been buying from them for several years and am always delight when I get my fabric. I always try to purchase over $50.00 as the shipping is free with $50.00 or more and buy through them on the net there is no taxes on purchases.
    BTW I heard on the news the other day, that the government in my state is trying find a way to start charging taxes for internet purchases. Can you believe it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    BellaBoo, ours is bad too. I dont think really poor people can afford to shop at our Goodwill store. Jeans are 8.00 and 9.00 for used!
    And that is only if they can beat the people who feel they are doing good and recycling by buying out all the wool and cotton clothes to cut up for crafting!
    Sorry, this is a sore point for me. If a person wants to recycle clothing into crafting of any sort, I have no problem with that... IF they are using clothing from their own household. If you can afford new cloth, don't use the wool suit that might have helped a poor person get a job, or keep them from being quite as cold...
    Last time I checked, this was a free country and we can do what we choose with what we buy. Did you ever look at the people shopping in the thrift shops? They are not poor people?
    Absolutely I agree. What does it matter who buys there or what they do with it, that is what they're in business for. The more money they make the more they can help the people who need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascalonious
    Along with everything else, except our wages!
    I hear ya, hubby works for the goverment, and they put a freeze on his wages..

and he only makes about 35,000 a year...

Wouldnt it be great if the goverment would take a pay cut down to that and try to live on it....

I bet the debt would have a decrease after that...
    well, try to get by on $12,000 a year social security.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Rockwood
    I am a recycler of the first order. There is a lot of fabric in some clothing and it does make wonderful quilts. I use appliques by machine and make wonderfull art quilts out of silk ties. At first cutting up perfectly good clothing is hard, but once you do it, your minds eye will see lots of possibilities. Set your self free.
    I used my friend's fathers clothing to make a quilt for his mother, she loved it, and my friend is now a hero. So go for it.
    Rosie
    Do you realize if more people in the US would recycle (everything) that our landfills would not be so full and perhaps prices for new items would come down because there would be less demand. Imagine all the stuff that gets wasted every day in this country.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Have you figured how much it would cost to use dried beans - especially if you use propane. I think I would opt to buy the can.

sWe only have one station in town that doesn't have ethanol AND I paid $1.49 for one bell pepper yesterday. And did you ever think you would see a can of pinto beans for $1? I buy dry beans & take the extra time to cook.
    I have been HOARDING dried beans....yes, hoarding them...I buy in large bulk bags and store in NEW 5gal. buckets that are then sealed with duct tape....

Food is going thru the roof as is all else...no inflation, no depression my aunt fannie![/quote]

You can cook up a lot of dried beans and then freeze them. It is way cheaper than buying canned and so much healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalonious
    Along with everything else, except our wages!
    Ditto!

Blog Entries
    The poor in my town wouldn't be caught in the thrift store. The agencies/groups/churches give them pre paid gift cards to go shopping for business clothes, school clothes, and even prom wear at clothing stores. The moms that are living on a budget, they buy at the thrift stores.

There was a TV show quite a while ago that showed the unpacking of some imports from other countries. I think this one was from India. Guess what the goods were wrapped and packed in? Clothes from the US. Seems that a lot of the thrift stores simply have more than they can handle and they end up selling a lot by the pound and shipping to other countries. It's cheaper for them to wrap and cushion their exports in old clothes from the US than it is to pack in paper or other wrapping.

Anyway, I've never felt like thrift stores were only for the poor. Anyone who buys things there is providing $$$ to the organization.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ
    Guess that means I be making more scrappy quilts and getting more creative.
    The last cottom fabric maker has left the US! EVERTHING we are getting now is IMPORTED! SUCKS! Shipping is stil cheaper than gas if you have to go very far (my nearest J's is 45-50 miles away and my van only gets about 16-18 mpg, so shipping is definitely better for me).

Josi in Sebring FL

There are many wonderful ebay sellers selling off grandma's and mother's fabric stash for reasonable prices. However, the cloth for newer patterns is really expensive and you can't get the little bit you want. I just spent $152.00 to make 2 baby quilts. At 8-9 dollars a yard, it just gets that high. I'm starting to stock up on the older cotton fabrics from the garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales,etc. Walmart has raised its prices and now is selling new stuff for 6-9 dollars. But the old they are selling by the bolt for 4-10 dollars depending on the length of fabric. My stash storage is beginning to overfloweth. If you need, please pm me and I will share.

Power Poster
    I think it is something we all have to get used to now. Prices will never be what they were before for anything.

I too am upset about the higher prices of fabric, clothes etc. My thrift stores have gone up in prices too but it is still cheaper than buying in the stores. Ok, now lets take a breath----the economy has not recovered like the government would likeus to believe---if we cannot buy the fabric or clothes, they will sit on the shelves and the store will eventually come to the conclusion that if they want to have customers, they better lower their prices. I am not talking having sales, I am talking lowering prices across the board. It might take some time, but it will happen. This is not like before when jobs were plentiful, this is now, when they are darn scarce. I know we are not spending like before. Only what is needed. I do not go buy tons of fabric just because I like it or I need fabric therapy. I only get what is necessary after I shop my own stash. Same with the clothing. Yes, it hurts us with limited incomes but it is going to hurt the stores far worse before it is over. My Granny taught me to recycle clothing, and a lot of other things. If she could do it, then so can I. Oh, and I totally agree with Lv2Sew2011--if our goverment officials had to live on what we do, it would be a whole different story-----hang in there ladies. We are quilters, we will make it and come out on top

I agree with you EXCEPT aroung here Goodwill, Salvation Army and Thrift stores DON'T give poor people anything whether to find a job or keep them warmer. With prices sky high in these stores most can't afford to buy them.
    ( OK I'm off my soapbox too. )

Heard from LQS owner one of her fabric reps said we won't be able to find a bolt of cotton for less than $10/yd. by the end of the year. What tragedy has brought on this huge increase in prices? I know gas is expensive, and everything (groceries, clothing, shampoo, etc.) has to be brought in on trucks, but I've never seen or heard about any cotton crop devastation on the news. Good thing I've built a hefty stash!

Clue me in. Not sure what LQS shop is?

Miss Fay, its a Local Quilt Shop.

that is depressing news

Thank's.

Quote Originally Posted by kewlquilts
    What tragedy has brought on this huge increase in prices? I know gas is expensive, and everything (groceries, clothing, shampoo, etc.) has to be brought in on trucks, but I've never seen or heard about any cotton crop devastation on the news. Good thing I've built a hefty stash!
    Back in September, we started hearing news of the demand for cotton vs. the supply. There were natural disasters in the Far East coupled with the economy of planting soy for energy instead of cotton.

The first two pages of this topic give some explanation.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65131-2.htm

Joanns has started to carry a line of better, more expensive quilting fabric. It is $10-$13 /yd. they also still carry the cheaper $3.99-6.99 fabric. With your 40% off coupon it is still a good deal! Better quality fabric is similiar in quality to LQS but is cheaper due to coupons or sale prices.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    Joanns has started to carry a line of better, more expensive quilting fabric. It is $10-$13 /yd. they also still carry the cheaper $3.99-6.99 fabric. With your 40% off coupon it is still a good deal! Better quality fabric is similiar in quality to LQS but is cheaper due to coupons or sale prices.
    I was there today....coupons weren't any good as the fabric was all on sale.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast