Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother SE 270 D computerized embroidery and sewing machine.  Anyone else have it? >

Brother SE 270 D computerized embroidery and sewing machine. Anyone else have it?

Brother SE 270 D computerized embroidery and sewing machine. Anyone else have it?

Old 01-15-2008, 04:02 PM

I haven't had time lately to sew with two little ones and much other things going on but I do have 10 years of sewing experience and know my machine very well. I have the Disney machine. I love it. I have located a store about an hour away from my house that has helped some and the lady there thinks the problem I'm having with getting other images to come up on my PED Basic embroidery card, on my sewing machine, is because the card that's sold with the software isn't the right card. They actually sell another card that is compatible with the same software seperate! I have contacted Brother several times with no luck there and I was getting real discouraged but found a nice lady with several years of embroidery machine experience to help. Thank goodness! Just thought I'd let everyone know. Thanks again! Jodi :)
Old 01-16-2008, 05:31 AM

Thanks Jodi. I really need to sit down with my machine and go over it. Thanks for the info on the PED card. I thought it was suppose to work with many different machines. Well, I will have to try it out and see what I can do with it. Thanks again
Old 01-16-2008, 05:40 AM

I have also been wondering the same things since I got my machine. I can't find a space either and I need to write different words. I am doing a breast cancer blanket for a friend who lost her 28 year old daughter to it and I want to embroider her name, b-date and date she passed away. So, please, anyone who can answer these qustions.
Also another one, when I try to move the start direction of the machine so I don't have to rehoop, it always starts right back up in the middle. I wanted to place a design in the corner of the main mickey design but it wants to start where mickey started...not a good thing.
Thanks much
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 AM

I didn't find the book very helpful, either. I just kinda had to really jump in and GO! After you get the concept down, it is really a lot of fun! I got my PED for about $127/129 at WM, then they had it on sale for like $100 after I got mine. (of course). This is an older post that has been brought back up, and I am a bit more experienced with the machine now, as I've had it over a year. It has given me some trouble and grief, but I like what it can do. I would also like to have one with a larger embroidery area and one that would do caps/hats. I will keep trying to learn more and more and have fun in the process. Someday I may upgrade to something larger. There was one embroidery machine I found for like $13,000! Talk about starting a business! That would be great! But it isn't for me right now.
Originally Posted by shandra682005
Yes, I have had this machine for a couple of years...almost 3 years really. I haven't done much with it but I want to learn. I don't find the book very helpful in learning all I want to know...but maybe someone will teach me. I did, howeve, buy the PED swoftware but haven't installed into computer yet. I bought mine on ebay for a total of $125. I hear its great. I just got a new computer ( laptop) for christmas and am going to instal PED today. Will let you know what I think. So, actually I was not much help but was letting you know I have the machine. I didn't know, however, when I bought the machine, that you can ONLY embroider in a 4"by 4" area. Unless you keep rehooping, ofoucrse. I was disappointed and am thinking about selling my machine and upgrading. I will go into a sewing center and "test-run" machines before I buy this time. Some also offer free classes when you buy a machine. I bought my SE 270 at walmart so, NO CLASSES. Well I hpe you get a lot of use out of your machine I am going to try.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by crabtreercplane
I haven't had time lately to sew with two little ones and much other things going on but I do have 10 years of sewing experience and know my machine very well. I have the Disney machine. I love it. I have located a store about an hour away from my house that has helped some and the lady there thinks the problem I'm having with getting other images to come up on my PED Basic embroidery card, on my sewing machine, is because the card that's sold with the software isn't the right card. They actually sell another card that is compatible with the same software seperate! I have contacted Brother several times with no luck there and I was getting real discouraged but found a nice lady with several years of embroidery machine experience to help. Thank goodness! Just thought I'd let everyone know. Thanks again! Jodi :)
The card that came with my PED is a Brother brand and works just fine. Maybe you got a bad card? I haven't found brother to be very helpful.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by shandra682005
I have also been wondering the same things since I got my machine. I can't find a space either and I need to write different words. I am doing a breast cancer blanket for a friend who lost her 28 year old daughter to it and I want to embroider her name, b-date and date she passed away. So, please, anyone who can answer these qustions.
Also another one, when I try to move the start direction of the machine so I don't have to rehoop, it always starts right back up in the middle. I wanted to place a design in the corner of the main mickey design but it wants to start where mickey started...not a good thing.
Thanks much
I CAN HELP! There is a space! Go on past the letters, maybe the 3rd screen. It's right in there with the ? and other symbols. It is a "_" and kind of hard to see.
If you want to embroider on the corner, you use the adjust function. Then use the arrows, once on that screen, to put your design where you want it.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks a lot. I have tried the adjust function key and I am doing something wrong...I will just sit down with it and work it. Thanks for your help; :lol:
Old 02-02-2008, 09:06 AM

My mom bought me the disney machine and I love it.

The book has to be read a couple of times for things to click and when it does it is really easy.

I love all the things I have done so far but need a card also. I got this machine to learn on for 350 and figured I can go to a more expensive one after I learn the basics. As with anything you have to practice, practice and practice some more.

As for quilting and other sewing this machine works wonderfully. :D
Old 02-28-2008, 07:19 AM

Hi Everyone I am new to these boards. I just bought this machine I am very excited to get started.

But I have a questions.

What kind of thread do I use? Do I need special thread to fit in the cassettes? I partially read the manual. But I am unsure about the thread.

Thanks. :-)
Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by waltnut
Hi Everyone I am new to these boards. I just bought this machine I am very excited to get started.

But I have a questions.

What kind of thread do I use? Do I need special thread to fit in the cassettes? I partially read the manual. But I am unsure about the thread.

Thanks. :-)
You need to buy MACHINE EMBROIDERY THREAD. It's hard to find the size that will fit in the cartridge. Your machine came with an extra thread spool pin that fits on the cartridge for larger cones/spools. I haven't found the brother kind that came with the machine anywhere. It would be nice to find that size. It would be easier and save time, but the other is cheaper.
Good luck with your machine. Read some of my other posts about this machine.
I haven't gotten to sit down and sew since August...