Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother SE 270 D computerized embroidery and sewing machine.  Anyone else have it? >

Brother SE 270 D computerized embroidery and sewing machine. Anyone else have it?

Brother SE 270 D computerized embroidery and sewing machine. Anyone else have it?

Old 02-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Hi, I have it and I love it. We have the ped and magic box. There is no limit to the things you can do with it. I use it every day. i use my old machine to wind bobbins, ha ha. My husband likes it too. He likes quilting also. I am trying to get him to buy me a long arm machine. ha ha. good luck with yours. Patty
Old 02-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Miranda,

Thanks for the reply. Mine did not come with any thread. That is why I am unsure about what to buy. I have read posts on other sites that said You need to be careful because not all threads will fit in the cassettes for this particular machine.

Can I use regular size thread when I am sewing or quilting? The kind I would use in my non embroidery sewing machine.

Thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by waltnut
Miranda,

Thanks for the reply. Mine did not come with any thread. That is why I am unsure about what to buy. I have read posts on other sites that said You need to be careful because not all threads will fit in the cassettes for this particular machine.

Can I use regular size thread when I am sewing or quilting? The kind I would use in my non embroidery sewing machine.

Thanks
Mine came with one spool of white embroidery thread.
Whatever kind of machine embroidery thread you decide to use, make sure to wind a bobbin with the same thing and use it in the bottom and top. I got a bunch of bobbins on eBay for cheap. You will need SA156 size. I wind one for each spool...it will mess it up big time (or it did mine) if you use a different one in the bottom bc sometimes they are different size/content.

When doing regular sewing on the machine, you can use regular thread.

I got a lot of my embroidery thread from eBay. I bought several spools at once. Much cheaper that way. They are the cone-type spools like you get at WM for over $4 each.

Another thread I really like to use is the smaller spools of variegated machine embroidery thread from WM.

Using the extra thread spool pin instead of putting the thread in the cartridge is really no big deal. It's a little more annoying, but really it's fine. :D

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2008, 01:12 PM

I use regular thread in mine when I am sewing. but for embroidery I use regular embroidery thread. they fit perfectly. use the little orange round plastic thingie on top of the threads to keep them from locking up if the thread gets into the slot on the top edge of the spool. but if you are using embroidery thread, you cannot usually get the orange circle thing on. but if it fits, use it. serger thread works ok for sewing, but not for embroidering. a lady at a fabric shop told me yesterday that it was not good to sew quilts with serger thread as it cuts through the material. don't know if she was spinning me a line of bull or not? anybody else know? would love to find out. i do know that there are some threads for hand quilting and others for machine quilting. but if you buy it at a reputable shop they will advise you on your threads. hope this helps? :roll:
Old 03-08-2008, 07:59 PM

Thanks for letting me know I can use regular thread for sewing, Quilt thread for quilting.

The whole embriodery thing is new to me.

My daughter's teacher recommended sulky thread. Someone else said to use polystar.

Anyone ever use these types of thread in this machine?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 AM

I love mine. The Creative Sewing Center where I bought it threw in classes on general use and two embroidery classes. Really were helpful.

(I'm sure they were really built into the price.)

I have even been able to sew through the top, batting, and bottom and binding on the edges of quilts with the J foot (standard foot).

KrystalC, They showed us in class that the trick to getting the hoop straight was to place the grid on the fabric, place a mark in each of the four holes, and then put it all together in the hoop. Then, you know which part to adjust by lining up the marks. Gets easier with practice.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 AM

I know this reply is more than a year later, but I just found these posts having just bought the Brother SE 270. The space looks like and underline __. You need to scroll past the numbers and into the characters.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 AM

Krystal, the underline is the space on that machine. It is toward the back of the alphabet code. I do several words at once. Choose the smallest font and then when you check the layout, you can make it bigger.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:33 PM

Have you tried embroidering directly onto a T-shirt?
That was when all my thread was balling up under the feed dogs, and I ended up with a whole in the shirt. I haven't tried it since, but I haven't had much sewing/embroidering time.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Hi. I had the same problem. I even contacted the seller and told him the card there was something wrong with the card and than i found out i had not selected the correct hoop size. So i am quite sure that is also your problem. Just double check your hoop size and see if you picked the right one on the computer before you put the designs on the card.