Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brother sewing machines >

brother sewing machines

brother sewing machines

Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 AM

I have the PQ1500S. It's a real workhorse, a machine's machine. No computerized anything (which is what I wanted), solid as they come. It only does straight stitch, though, so if you're looking for zigzag stitches or any other stitch, then you'll need a different model. Love my Brother! Great price on Amazon.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 AM

Until a few months ago, I had a Brother that I used at least twenty years with no problems, no hiccups, nothing....ever.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 AM

A while back one of our very sage members told us about an article..."Too Much Information"...all about sewing machines. It is long but contains anything and everything you need to know about what brand sewing machine, serger to buy. Here's the web address:
http://www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information/
For instance, Baby Lock is made in the same factory in Japan as Brother and both are excellent. If I remember correctly Brother and Janome are made by the same company. Anyway, scan through this article. I printed it out and take it with whenever I think I might want to look and any sewing-related machine. Good luck and Happy Quilting.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM

I bought a bottom-of-the-line Brother for my daughter as a starter machine. Compared to my Husquevarna, it rattles like an old jalopy with bad spark plugs. Maybe the more expensive ones are better.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 AM

It sounds like (most) everyone is happy with their Brother purchases. Me too - I love my Brother 4500 Duetta!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by lynmccoy View Post
Does Brother still make good sewing machines? I bought mine 15 years ago for $150 at WalMart. It still works great and the only thing I've done is replace the light bulb when it went out, other than regular maintenance. I have used mine 3-4 days a week and the only reason I'm looking for another one is to get a larger updated one with more quilting features. I'm just wondering if the quality is still there in their products. Before that I had a Kenmore that I bought at Sears for $100. So I've learned not to judge a sewing machine by the price tag.I don't quilt on my machine, I machine sew the quilt top and then hand-quilt.
I have a innovis 900d it is a sewing machine embroidery machine, has all the bells and whistles down scissors, sews without the foot peddle just by the button on the front of the machine, adjustable speed.
i did some free motion with it, and am very please with , it is a great machine.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM

I bought the Brother Project Runway to go along with my Singer 401A for the extra stitches and I loved it. When they came out with the one for quilters at Wal Mart I bought that one and gave the other to my DD. I love it and I am so happy I bought it. I have had it for two and a half years now and have had no problems.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 AM

I like mine! I have the CS6000i and also one of their embroidery machines, the PE770. Zero problems with either; both are relatively new so I can't (yet) vouch for their longevity but I bought both of them on Amazon with zero dealer support (which made me nervous, esp. for the PE770) but so far they have both been 100% trouble-free right out of the box. My boss's husband took a beginner's sewing class and they asked me for recommendations - I recommended Brother! They picked up a Project Runway and it has gone through 3 semesters of clothing construction and made a whole house full of curtains and table runners so far with no hassles...I always think that if a beginner can use a machine out of the box with no troubles that's a really good sign. (I'm trying to convince him to take on quilting next, muahahaha!)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM

5 years ago when I was deciding to get back into sewing I asked a friend of mine who taught sewing in home economics for 30 years what machines she recommended. She said Brother. She said they worked forever and held up to the constant use and abuse in the classroom. I ignored her and bought a Viking Sapphire. Last year I bought a Brother pq1500s because I became tired of the fussyness of the Sapphire. Have been truly happy with it and use it for all my FMQ and piecing. Still have the Viking for the fancy stuff because the Brother I have only does straight stitching.
That said, I think all of the lines, including Brother, do produce some very inexpensive "plastic gear" type machines so maybe it is best to be careful and ask around.
I also should mention one problem that just developed with my Brother - which truly surprises me because it seems so stable otherwise. When I wind bobbins, the needle part of the machine no longer shuts down so the needle is going a very fast. I guess I will have to have someone look at that. Anyone else had that problem?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM

DH recently bought me a Brother, Laura Ashley, Innov-is, NX2000 sewing machine which was designed specifically for quilters & is absolutely incredible, but I machine quilt my own quilts!! Before this I had an HS-2000 by Brother which is also incredible for piecing. I used that daily from 2010 until Christmas with no problems! Love them both!! Before that, I had a Signature by Brother for 37 years without trouble. They get five thumbs up from me!!