Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can I see pics of your Christmas stockings?

Can I see pics of your Christmas stockings?

A friend at church today asked me if I would help her make Christmas stockings for her family of 4. I told her it was too late for me this year, but would make them for next year. Now I don't know yet if she wants them quilted or just one piece of fabric on front, back & lining. She also wants the names of each family member embroidered on the cuff but I don't embroider. If we make the stockings, could they then be taken to someone with an embroidery machine & names put on then or does it have to be a flat piece that can be put in a hoop? I don't know anything about embroidery machines.

Can I see pictures of what some of y'all have made?

The Crafty Gemini had a good tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLOTwbLaRg

Blog Entries
    If you are going to ask a home embroiderer to do it, you would give them the fabric before construction. A commercial embroiderer should have the appropriate equipment to do the finished stocking, but you would want to check first to make sure. If going to an embroidery shop, be sure to also discuss the price and lead time needed.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I would do a different quilt pattern for each stocking. Lots of ideas on Google:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chri...lting+patterns
    I thought these were very cute:
    http://camilleroskelley.typepad.com/simplify/page/14/
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Our Christmas stockings were made when beading and sequins were all the rage. You don't remember that ever being the rage??? Then you're too young. And still that leaves you lots of years to choose from. As new members joined the family, had to keep finding my box of supplies because they weren't available.

I'm open to new ideas. Not only styles have changed, our family situation has changed. And we no longer have a mantel. Would love to see pictures.

I'm thinking we'll redecorate the living space this coming year so maybe I'll just wait and see how that developes.

Are there links to stockings on pinterest?

Blog Entries
    I would do an advanced search here. I came across some I saved from here. I loved the whole clothe ones by paper princess and pumpkin patch quilter (her's was titled Victorian whole clothe Christmas stockings). I can never seem to copy the link on my iPad. Sorry.

Blog Entries
    Last year I made stockings following a YouTube video by Eleanor Burns. The video includes a crazy quilt stocking and a strip stocking. They were fun to make. Just search for Eleanor Burns Christmas stocking on YouTube.
    "What day is it?" asked Pooh
    "It's today." squeaked Piglet
    "That's my favorite day!" said Pooh

I don't take finished projects to the embroiderer any more. If they mess up, your whole project is ruined. Lately, I just bring an oversized piece of the fabric I want embroidered & then when I get it back I cut it down to size & piece it and then quilt.

At the latest, you could bring your pieced stocking "quilt top". I think it would be tricky to do a nice job with the embroidery if it's already quilted (and I would imagine the stabilizer would then be visible on the top inside of the stocking. Make sure to discuss the cost of the embroidery with your friend in advance. I typically pay around $8-10 per name where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
    I don't take finished projects to the embroiderer any more. If they mess up, your whole project is ruined. Lately, I just bring an oversized piece of the fabric I want embroidered & then when I get it back I cut it down to size & piece it and then quilt.

At the latest, you could bring your pieced stocking "quilt top". I think it would be tricky to do a nice job with the embroidery if it's already quilted (and I would imagine the stabilizer would then be visible on the top inside of the stocking. Make sure to discuss the cost of the embroidery with your friend in advance. I typically pay around $8-10 per name where I live.
    I have an embroidery machine and oh are you smart. There are a lot of things that can go wrong embroidering names and I never embroider on a finished product -- it is way too stressful.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Here are the ones I just finished for our son and his family. I got the pattern for the stockings on embilibrary.com and I got the designs from them also. I have 3 more to go for our granddaughter and her family. I cut the stocking out then placed the design on the front, quilted the lining and sewed them together. I embroidered the name on the cuff then sewed it to the stocking.Name:  Wayne's Stockings.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  147.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    A friend at church today asked me if I would help her make Christmas stockings for her family of 4. I told her it was too late for me this year, but would make them for next year. Now I don't know yet if she wants them quilted or just one piece of fabric on front, back & lining. She also wants the names of each family member embroidered on the cuff but I don't embroider. If we make the stockings, could they then be taken to someone with an embroidery machine & names put on then or does it have to be a flat piece that can be put in a hoop? I don't know anything about embroidery machines.

Can I see pictures of what some of y'all have made?

The Crafty Gemini had a good tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLOTwbLaRg
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

I made these stockings a number of years ago and don't have the pattern info anymore. They are made from some kind of plush fabrics. Name:  snowmen stockings collage (Small).JPG
Views: 264
Size:  19.6 KB

I don't have pics but if you are into cross stitch I used that for the cuff. Cross stitched the name and a design to go with the fabric. Used pre quilted fabric for the lining to give the stocking body

Quote Originally Posted by LilaKay View Post
    Here are the ones I just finished for our son and his family. I got the pattern for the stockings on embilibrary.com and I got the designs from them also. I have 3 more to go for our granddaughter and her family. I cut the stocking out then placed the design on the front, quilted the lining and sewed them together. I embroidered the name on the cuff then sewed it to the stocking.Name:  Wayne's Stockings.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  147.4 KB
    Those are really cute! Will post pics of the two I am working on when they are done. They are the first things I
    have sewn/quilted in many years. All that is left to do is embroider the names and attach the cuffs. I am scared to death to use the embroidery part of my machine but just have to bite the bullet so to speak and give it a try.
    Louise

LilaKay, those are so pretty. It makes me wish I had an embroidery machine
    Thimblebug, I love that you made yours into snowmen. Very clever & cute.

I will talk to her more about what she is wanting. Maybe she can even take a picture of what she saw so I will better know what she wants. Thanks goodness I told her they would have to be for NEXT Christmas.

I made our stockings by embossing velvet with a snowflake rubber stamp. It was surprisingly easy. Just place the place the velvet face down on a rubber stamp, (I used Stamping' Up! brand, but any should work) and press with medium-hot iron. The velvet I used was left from from First Christmas dresses I made for each of our girls. I trimmed them with the same lace as the dress.

I used white or ecru colored fabric for the front of the stocking and machine embroidered a Christmas scene on it. I used Christmas fabric for the back and top cuff and machine embroidered the names on the top cuffs. These came out really nice.

Christmas stockings in Texas

I made these many years ago, copying a friend's pattern for these Texas style Christmas stockings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mary Jane Flikke

LilaKay.... Your stockings are so cute... good job.... thanks for sharing... :-)
    tammy g
    I thank God everyday for all my many blessings, and ask Him to give me strength to take each day as He gives it to me. He knows me better then I do...(please visit my FB page.. Quilts of Many Blessings... and My FB page... Quilts for Little Bits).......
    http://www.tammysquiltpatch.simplesite.com

all the stockings are so cute......thanks for sharing.... :-)
    tammy g
    I thank God everyday for all my many blessings, and ask Him to give me strength to take each day as He gives it to me. He knows me better then I do...(please visit my FB page.. Quilts of Many Blessings... and My FB page... Quilts for Little Bits).......
    http://www.tammysquiltpatch.simplesite.com

pal
    I always keep pre-quilted off white fabric on hand. It comes in handy for last minute projects like appliquéd wall hangings, banners and Christmas stockings that were needed yesterday. You can find shapes in children's coloring books and make appliqué pieces using two pieces of fabric, right sides facing each other, draw the shape, sew it up completely, and put a little slit in the back and pull it through. Eleanor Burns taught me that - but I use the same fabric instead of the interfacing - works better for me.
    You can also buy the white fur, it's about 1 1/2" wide, in the trim dept. of Jo-Ann's. Done!

Hope this helps a little.....
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Christmas Stockings

These were appliques with wonder under and lined with contrasting fabric, really quite easy to make. I did not quilt them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    I don't have any pictures - all the Christmas stockings I've done have been given away. However, I just drew a stocking on freezer paper, you can make it any size; then I just sewed 2 1/2" squares together, added Warm & Natural batting with a muslin backing, then I just stitched in the ditch. I then put the stocking pattern over the squares and cut the stocking out. I had made a simple patchwork tree skirt for my DD, and when I asked if she wanted stockings to go with it, she said no, she had stockings. Imagine my surprise when, after showing it to her new hubby, he wanted stockings to match. Fortunately I had 2 left from the Fair I had attended, so I mailed them to her. I would watch the tutorial on MSQC, as Jenny has a nice pattern.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I would do a different quilt pattern for each stocking. Lots of ideas on Google:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chri...lting+patterns
    I thought these were very cute:
    http://camilleroskelley.typepad.com/simplify/page/14/
    Thank you for the links, especially the google link. I will be making Christmas stockings for us next year. But, lots of inspiration to get started with.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

There are embroidery shops out there where you take fabric before cutting for the cuff that don't charge much....depends on length of name , font and size of letters usually. They make it look more professionally done than my embroidery machine.😊

These are just four of the ones that I have done.Name:  Mom Stocking.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  56.1 KBName:  Mitch Stocking.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  62.4 KBName:  Mary Stocking.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  62.2 KBName:  4427_1097586803124_7652635_n.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  60.4 KB