Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone explain to me why >

Can someone explain to me why

Can someone explain to me why

Old 09-16-2011, 04:15 AM

Again our government telling us what common knowledge should already be in our head. In other words, please don't put your baby near an open flame with flannel (or any thing for that matter). It will catch on fire. DAHHHHHH
Old 09-16-2011, 04:15 AM

Is it not arrogant to suppose we can protect our families against all hazards, fire in particular? Most fatal home fires happen at night with everyone sleeping. Guarantee that there will never be an electrical short, a lightening strike, a smoking guest, a pot left on the stove in a neighboring apartment, malfunctioning furnace, wildfire, someone else's kid experimenting with maches, or arson? Of course these are not common occurrences but prudence dictates we regard them as possibilities.

The fire retardants for children's sleepwear became manditory because of synthetics which ignite and stick and burn and melt onto the skin. Cotton, too, burns fiercely but without the melt and stick of the synthetics so the safety precautions were required of all manufactured children's pjs.

Perhaps we should consider making wool the filling of choice for children's quilts....the caution labels on fabric obviously intended for children remind us to take care in our selection and be aware of the possible consequences of our choices.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wvdek
If I understand what you are asking, I too have wondered why they don't offer a better vaiety of prints for older children and for adults out of these wonderful flannels. I have to look high and low before buying one I don't think is too infantile or babyish for my jammies. One reason I guess why so many of mine are plain. I live in jammies in the winter - warmer and more comfortable.
Those fabrics are out there ... a store near me has a HUGE selection of flannelettes. And in every colour, design, style, type imaginable. Quite honestly, I go in there and am usually SO overwhelmed that I can't decide.

So I think the problem is more so, that many stores don't want to have the risk the vast inventory, and so, only bring in a limited selection for a limited market.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:11 AM

I agree with you. I understand the reasoning about not being flame retardant, but why make them with with scenes that a younger-than-twelve would love if you shouldn't use it on them.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 AM

Totally crazy isn't it. How did we oldies survive growing up!:)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the info .
Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by QM
The law requires the warning. This law came about because of a very vocal mother who used RAYON pjs, with the predictasble results. For any who do not know, Rayon is virtually an explosive waiting for any spark. My father demo'ed this for me when I was a small person, but until the law changed (and manufacturers lost lawsuits) rayon was regularly used for baby clothing. The flame retardants are also carcinogens, but let's not go into the logic of that one.
I remember when that happened! I was about 6 or 7 and my mom tossed some fabric into the fire and it just exploded! She was showing us how important it was to stay away from the fire. But I'm in my 70s now, and the only fires I've seen heating houses are in stoves, and mighty few of those.

Most mothers now days don't want extra chemicals in their children's clothes, but the law still stands. Go figure.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by QM
The law requires the warning. This law came about because of a very vocal mother who used RAYON pjs, with the predictasble results. For any who do not know, Rayon is virtually an explosive waiting for any spark. My father demo'ed this for me when I was a small person, but until the law changed (and manufacturers lost lawsuits) rayon was regularly used for baby clothing. The flame retardants are also carcinogens, but let's not go into the logic of that one.
The thing I can't understand is that yes, cotton burns, BUT polyester and nylon melt - onto the skin - How can that be better?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by MrsGuava
The melting factor is why I would never use "green" quilt batting. We live in a society that has to be told not to put a plastic bag over its head.
yes the frivilous law suits have taken the sense out of common sense.
All I can say is the woman who sued Mcd. because their coffee was hot and burned her when she sat it on the seat of the car between her legs was lucky I was not on the jury. She would not have gotten any settlement, I probably would have requested a retraining order banning her from ever ordering coffee from anyone. That case IMHO was stupidity meeting greed.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 AM

ditto