Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone explain to me why >

Can someone explain to me why

Can someone explain to me why

Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
How did I manage to get this old? And raise 3 children without them burning up in their flannel pajamas?
People today want a guarantee on life's experiences that are their responsibility. No one can prevent a fire unless they use common sense and don't start one. Everything around us can't be made fireproof but we can all be aware of the dangers of fire.
Most of us have used flannel without the retardant for clothing and bedding. I agree, what is the sense of making flannel for children's clothing if you can't use it for them. I say, use whatever flannel you see you like and love your children so much, you will prevent fires in your own home by not using candles or smoking, they cause the most fires.

Carol J.
Totally agree with this Carol with one additional point: The flannel is not going to spontaneously combust! It's just not flame retardant. You don't have to worry about the kids running too fast in their PJs and the friction from their legs rubbing together causing them to burst into flames.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by starshine
Originally Posted by MrsGuava
The melting factor is why I would never use "green" quilt batting. We live in a society that has to be told not to put a plastic bag over its head.
yes the frivilous law suits have taken the sense out of common sense.
All I can say is the woman who sued Mcd. because their coffee was hot and burned her when she sat it on the seat of the car between her legs was lucky I was not on the jury. She would not have gotten any settlement, I probably would have requested a retraining order banning her from ever ordering coffee from anyone. That case IMHO was stupidity meeting greed.
Well, I usually agree that these things are just stupid and the people should use common sense. However, I know a lawyer who had some dealings with the case. McD's had been warned several times and sued several times over injuries from their scalding coffee. They chose to ignore the warnings. The woman who finally won had third degree burns. Her flesh was literally falling off. There is hot coffee and then there is boiling coffee.
you have to admit though putting hot coffee of any temp on the seat between your legs is pretty danged stupid......
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Why wasn't it all her fault - why would you put hot coffee between your legs - for that matter, why would you put any coffee between your legs while driving. I was mad at McD's when they gave her such a large amount. I maintain it was her fault.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by matraina
Why wasn't it all her fault - why would you put hot coffee between your legs - for that matter, why would you put any coffee between your legs while driving. I was mad at McD's when they gave her such a large amount. I maintain it was her fault.
It's not her fault because coffee is normally served between 130 & 140 degrees. McDonald's was serving it between 180-190 degrees which is hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns within 2-7 seconds. It was simply not safe. Originally, she only asked for enough $$$ to cover to skin grafts she had to have, but the final settlement was $640,000, far less than the millions people say.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 AM

It does seem like a catch 22 for us. Here is the perfect fabrics that our little ones want to have for their pj's, and here is the warning planted allover it.
Can't tell me that manufactorers don't know that they are enticing the unknowing among us. It is almost like they are daring us to use the fabrics for that cause so they can say "not my problem".
Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 AM

It does seem like a catch 22 for us. Here is the perfect fabrics that our little ones want to have for their pj's, and here is the warning planted allover it.
Can't tell me that manufactorers don't know that they are enticing the unknowing among us. It is almost like they are daring us to use the fabrics for that cause so they can say "not my problem".

sorry on a lap top for the first time hit the button again.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
Originally Posted by matraina
It's not her fault because coffee is normally served between 130 & 140 degrees. McDonald's was serving it between 180-190 degrees which is hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns within 2-7 seconds. It was simply not safe. Originally, she only asked for enough $$$ to cover to skin grafts she had to have, but the final settlement was $640,000, far less than the millions people say.
I don't know....I am a coffee lover from age 5, and even then would have had enough sense not to put a take out cup between my legs. Just saying. Sorry she was burned, but why would you put a cup of coffee, or anything hot there? Especially if you are driving.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 PM

fabric doesn't have to be flame retardent for kids under 9 months of age, only between 9 months through 12 years. Nancy