Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone explain to me why >

Can someone explain to me why

Can someone explain to me why

Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 AM

probably should start a new topic but here goes: :0) As far as using fabric softeners: I now use a tennis ball, it softens and often eliminates the static cling.
quote=katykwilt]
Originally Posted by Carol J.
. . . People today want a guarantee on life's experiences that are their responsibility. . .
Very well said! BTW, Did you know that using fabric softeners increases the flammibility? And who doesn't use that for all our sleepwear -- and the rest of our laundry.

Glad I was raised before we knew all these things that HAD to be regulated by someone besides ourselves. It might be we knew the time of Freedom with Responsiblity.[/quote]
Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie
it is crazy the world we live in I was reading some of the manufactures warning labels the other day absolutely stupid but because of the sue happy world they have to be there I use the flannel all the time
What happened to using "common sense" and being held responsible for your own actions???? As someone said before---sue happy :thumbdown:
Also as somebody mentioned before...it is a wonder I got to be 57 YOA (my age) without all the warnings. My warnings came from parents/family and the neighbors. :thumbup:
Old 09-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned

Some of it has to do with the CPSIA laws...it's just how the law works...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM

I seriously thought there was a different kind of "Child Approved" flannel, and I just couldn't find it. My little babies are four legged, and I am not letting them sleep next to any open flames, either, but would not be in a hurry to put them in anything that I would have to worry about bursting into flames on its own. So it didn't make much sense that all these cute flannels were not meant to be used for kids.

I agree, some of the warnings seem like you would have to be brain dead to even try what they warn you against. Why, for instance, would you want to use a hair dryer IN the shower? Seems a little self defeating.

Now that I know it's safe to use the flannel fabrics I already have on hand, I plan to make some new pillow shams for the dog's beds. Taffy especially, loves climbing inside them, and just sticking her head out. Have I mentioned that they are the best cure for not laughing enough? And I have a ggson that might enjoy a new blanket.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM
KVz

Originally Posted by meemersmom
They're not treated w/ a flame retardant chemical that is required on fabric used for clothing (I asked a fabric shop about this once). And, in today's society, someone would probably sue if the warning weren't there. That being said...I use them all the time for those kinds of items, not just quilts.
I've often thought I would rather keep my kids away from flames than expose them to the chemicals required to flame-proof their clothing.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by MrsGuava
We live in a society that has to be told not to put a plastic bag over its head.
I beg to differ. We live in a society where the GOVERNMENT feels we have to be told not to put a plastic bag over our head.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Whilst I agree with most of the comments here...I also have to say with regards to children you have to be really careful what fabrics you use for clothing.
For my daughters textile exam she had to fire test a load of fabrics.....We spent an evening in the garden over a tub of cold water and set fire to them. I was absolutely shocked at the speed at which some fabrics burnt, literally seconds and they were up in horrendous flames....a child standing too close to a fire where a spark could spit and cause the garment to burn would not stand a chance in some fabrics........If I remember right this was why the warning was bought in in the first place because such incidents happened.
So common sense is a must....making garments for children where there may be flammables in the house, not just open fires but gas cookers, candles and cigarettes....you need to think carefully, because some of the cottons and flannels burn unbelievably quick.
In a quilt you would have time hopefully to throw it away from your body but getting a child out of pjyamas wouldn't be nearly so easy.
I may sound dramatic...but as a nurse I have seen horrific things and severe burns come top of the list.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by starshine
Originally Posted by MrsGuava
The melting factor is why I would never use "green" quilt batting. We live in a society that has to be told not to put a plastic bag over its head.
yes the frivilous law suits have taken the sense out of common sense.
All I can say is the woman who sued Mcd. because their coffee was hot and burned her when she sat it on the seat of the car between her legs was lucky I was not on the jury. She would not have gotten any settlement, I probably would have requested a retraining order banning her from ever ordering coffee from anyone. That case IMHO was stupidity meeting greed.
Well, I usually agree that these things are just stupid and the people should use common sense. However, I know a lawyer who had some dealings with the case. McD's had been warned several times and sued several times over injuries from their scalding coffee. They chose to ignore the warnings. The woman who finally won had third degree burns. Her flesh was literally falling off. There is hot coffee and then there is boiling coffee.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM

K3N has the perfect answer, who puts their child near an open flame? Carol J. posed a perfect point, how in the world did I live to be 70 years old and drink out of the garden hose, eat hamburgers cooked over charcoal, raise a beautiful young man without endangering him one wit. We live in a most litigious society and the manufacturers are just CYA as fast as they can. I have used flannel all my life and no one has ever been injured and I will continue to use it as long as my fingers will work.

Common sense seems in short supply today or am I just getting old and cranky?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM

when you make them to sell they are called lounge sets not
pj's at least on ebay they do