Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what this is and what it if for?

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    It's a tracing wheel for tracing seams and darts with tracing paper...used in sewing
    I'm with Mimi

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    And, Katlady

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    OMG I have mind from HomeEc class in 7th grade it has a wood handle. If it is 42 years old is it antique or vintage.LOL
    It's a collectible til it is at least 50 yrs old. My mom was an antique dealer. Tho it really depends on what type of item you are talking about as differant things are antique at differant ages. But the general rule is 50 yrs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    It's a tracing wheel for tracing seams and darts with tracing paper...used in sewing
    Yepper!!! That's exactly what it is! :thumbup:

Oh, back in 'the day' we had tracing paper and you'd put the paper on your fab and the pattern on top and then you'd take this little roller and trace the pattern. The dotted line.........oh the memories, you kids have no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I think it's for cutting a minature pizza...............
    LOL.... too funny!!! Some of us who still sew clothes still use a tracing wheel for marking dart lines, pleat line, etc

It's a tracing wheel haha that I used in the 7th.grade when we had home economics,I made my first blouse using one on the pattern.

YES! that's what it's for! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    Thank you all. I laughed with some of the comments. I tried to cut paper with it, and that didn't work, so I tried to cut cloth with it, and that didn't work. I asked my husband, and he had no idea. ROFL. He said it was something sharp. LOL. :lol: It has a little curved metal piece on it, what is that for?
    The little curved metal piece? Mine didn't have that, but I assume it is to put your finger on top protecting that important item when you would like to put a little more pressure when using several layers.

Oh that brings back memories, my momma used one of those when she made cloths. havent seen one of those in years.

Blog Entries
    I have some of those! We used them with tracing paper to mark darts and other markings on fabric when making clothing. We slipped the tracing paper (colored carbon paper folded in half) between the layers of fabric and then used the wheel to run along the lines on the pattern...marking the fabric with the line.

I hated that tool. In homec class we were required to use it and I just marked my project with a pencil for the darts. My item was perfect but the teacher marked me down because she said I skipped a step. I told her I marked the seam but she said she couldn't see it. -- I helped my friend on her robe. Actually I made most of it. We got an A on it. I got a B on mine because I didn't use that awfull tool. That was 41 years ago.

It looks like a tracing wheel that you use on dress patterns to mark darts. You use it with tracing (colored carbon)paper between the material & pattern piece.

That is a tracing tool that is used for tracing patterns onto fabric in order to cut the out correctly.

Blog Entries
    Could be used for cutting miniture Pizzas I suppose but
    its purpose is as stated in most of the messages above.
    missbelle

Looks like a tool for making holes around fleece used to make small blankets. You then crochet a border around the fleece.

Could the curved metal piece be where you place your index finger to press down, or a protective piece?
    Thank you all. I laughed with some of the comments. I tried to cut paper with it, and that didn't work, so I tried to cut cloth with it, and that didn't work. I asked my husband, and he had no idea. ROFL. He said it was something sharp. LOL. :lol: It has a little curved metal piece on it, what is that for?

Blog Entries
    I think we are vintage now :lol: But like fine wine, we get better with age :-D The sad thing about this is that Home Ec is not even offered in many schools today. Not that I liked it...far from it. Who would have ever thought that being a quiltmaker was lurking in my future.,.,certainly not me. The same for geometry :thumbdown: now I use it for figuring out triangles and settings. I keep a tracing wheel and other odds and ends around in my sewing room to remind me just how far I've come.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryberry
    LOL.... too funny!!! Some of us who still sew clothes still use a tracing wheel for marking dart lines, pleat line, etc
    Glad to know I am not the only one who still uses one! I taught my daughter how to use it a few years back, too.

Blog Entries
    sewing tool
    this is so funny, the last time I saw one of these is in high school sewing class....used with tracing paper to mark darts, seams etc....flash back :lol:

Like many others have said -- it's a tracing wheel. This was common when I started to sew 60 years ago --- to know this tool might "date" us!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missionslady
    It is a tracing wheel to be used with tracing paper when cutting out a pattern and transfer the markings. You usually use it when making garments. I've never had a need for it with quilting.
    Yes, I have one too; it was my grandmother's. One time when my daughter was about 6 or 7, she decided it would be convenient to use to cut scotch tape. She was supposed to be in her room resting & reading. She got into the closet where I kept my sewing to look for scissors, found that and ended up with it going into her eye. We ended up spending the afternoon in an opthomologists office. Luckily her eye wasn't damaged, just scratched. But she won't have anything to do with the tracing wheel anymore.

I agree with Mimi Baby Yow - I have one from years ago that was my mother's.

This looks like a tracing tool that I used to use to trace my patterns onto my fabric in Home ec wheniI was in school many years ago.

I think only us "more mature" quilters/sewers know what that is.
    The neighbors granddaughter was trying to us grandma's phone to call her mom.
    She was pushing the numbers but nothing would happen. It was a dial phone and she had no clue how to use it.
    Times, they are a changin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast