Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what this is and what it if for?

Brings back fun memories of making clothing. I use to use it for tracing darts, etc. Now I use my plastic handle one for texturing my minature sculptures out of Fimo clay.
    And I believe it's an antique when it hits 30 yrs or older. Funny comments along the way, you people are adorable!

agreed , a tracing wheel . I used one in 8th grade home ec to marked darts, dots, and seam joints, is used with a waxy colored paper

Me too. It also works to trace a quilting design or applique design directly on your top. The problem I found, is the tracing paper is not nearly as good as it used to be. Anybody know of a source of the good kind?

p
    tracing tool, and could be used for a ravoli cutter

Quote Originally Posted by cherryberry
    Ok.. just wondering. When teaching your grandaughters to sew, are you not teaching them to use tracing paper and tracing wheel to at least mark darts and pleat lines? Even tracing seam lines helps a young seamstress. Is there a better way ?
    I taught DD to use the tracing wheel and paper for darts/pleats/etc. I also learned, and use sometimes, the technique of tailor's tacks on matching points of darts and pleats. My machine has a guide for the seam allowance marked on it. So we have not marked seam allowances.

It has been interesting that schools have dropped the home ec. classes. (Here, at least) So my girls had to learn it at home or not at all. One didn't ask until she finished college.

HAHAHA OH DEARRRRRRRR

Blog Entries
    A tracing wheel for marking darts and seams onto fabric from a pattern. :)

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    sewing tool
    It's not a quilting tool. It's an old pattern tracer tool for making clothes. 8-)

It is a tracing wheel as most mentioned but I saw it used in a 'quilting tip' to score paper piecing patterns to make the paper easier to tear away. So if you paper piece, don't get rid of it yet!

Blog Entries
    It is called a tracing tool. It is used a lot in making clothes that has darts in the pattern. You put tracing paper on the fabric lay the pattern paper over it and trace the dart.

Linnie/TX

It's a tracing wheel-keep it, it may be worth something some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnisewta
    I think only us "more mature" quilters/sewers know what that is.
    The neighbors granddaughter was trying to us grandma's phone to call her mom.
    She was pushing the numbers but nothing would happen. It was a dial phone and she had no clue how to use it.
    Times, they are a changin
    My son's tease us. We still have a dial phone hanging on the wall. I can remember when we use to have a party line and you had to count the rings to know if it was for you or not.

:lol: :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    OMG I have mind from HomeEc class in 7th grade it has a wood handle. If it is 42 years old is it antique or vintage.LOL
    It's a collectible til it is at least 50 yrs old. My mom was an antique dealer. Tho it really depends on what type of item you are talking about as differant things are antique at differant ages. But the general rule is 50 yrs.
    Well Gee Rhonda, I am more than 50 yrs old, so do I rate as an antique or a collectible? My B-day is today, and I'm way past 50. I guess I can tell DH this evening, he has a collectible. We've been married for 40 yrs. now, so our marriage is almost antique as well. lol Sorry but this was just too good to pass up. But I am really glad to know what the general rule is for an antique, because I really love antiques and visiting shops thanks for the good info.
    Happy Birthday. We have been married 43 years, so I guess we are still keeping up. I remember now, that I used one with carbon paper too, since all of you are reminding me.

:oops:

It was used for marking darts and such on patterns with a special wax covered paper. :)

e4
    It actually looks like someone's attempt to make a tracing wheel from a can opener some time back. The opening on the upper left side and the handle are exactly like part of a can opener I used to have.
    I'm surprised that most people say they don't use it anymore. I use it for marking quilt pattern pieces from templates, for marking quilting patterns, and I have a double one that I use to mark quarter inch seams on freezer paper piecing.

A very old tracing wheel, from the looks of it.

it's a tracing wheel....what do i win.... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by newfiegirl
    Looks like a tool for making holes around fleece used to make small blankets. You then crochet a border around the fleece.
    Like this idea, must try it

It's the Lone Ranger's long lost Spur!

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have one that I bought a few years ago but it has a plastic handle. I also got one from an aunt that is a Singer with a tracing wheel on one end and a seam ripper on the other end.

Its a pizza cutter for mini pizzas, for when you are on a diet!

sewing tool
    It looks like an old tracing tool. I used these way back when with a carbon like paper you could buy, I don't know if they still sell it or not. The paper was in a package with several different colors. I would use the paper to lay on darts and other areas that I wanted to show up when I was just generally sewing, then use the tracing wheel to run over the lines. The sharp points on the blade cut through the carbon paper leaving marks. I still have a couple of these, not sure if I still have the paper or not. Now am I telling my age or what lol. Gerbie
    You can still buy that paper now, sad to say I still have some and also the tracing wheel from highschool in the early 70's

sewing tool
    The tool is a tracing wheel. It is used in dressmaking to trace darts and such using dressmaking tracing paper.

sewing tool
    It looks like an old tracing tool. I used these way back when with a carbon like paper you could buy, I don't know if they still sell it or not. The paper was in a package with several different colors. I would use the paper to lay on darts and other areas that I wanted to show up when I was just generally sewing, then use the tracing wheel to run over the lines. The sharp points on the blade cut through the carbon paper leaving marks. I still have a couple of these, not sure if I still have the paper or not. Now am I telling my age or what lol. Gerbie
    HA! They still sell the wheels and the paper! I use it sometimes to trace baby patterns as I don't want to cut them!

Went to Fabricland today it's a big fabric chain in Canada and guess what they still sell tracing wheels and waxfree tracing paper!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast