Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Can someone tell me what this is and what it if for?

Dee
    Its a tracing tool for marking patterns.

According to my husband, this is called a pounce wheel. It is used to trace patterns onto material or other surfaces.
    If WalMart has a fabric department, they still carry them today. They also have what they call tracing paper which is a heavy carbon paper. You place the tracing paper onto the object your want to transfer the pattern to. Then you place the pattern on top of the carbon paper and wheel along the line of the pattern. This transfers the pattern onto the desired fabric or surface. This one is a vintage form and the new ones have a plastic handle. The depression just below the wheel is for your thumb.

I have my grandmother's too. She was a dressmaker in the 1890's. I love it and have used it for marking all kinds of fabric and occasionally for perforating paper. The prongs are sharp enough to draw blood.

its a tracing wheel, used in sewing clothes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    Are you sure it is a quilting tool? It looks like 1/2 of an old can opener??
    Thats an oldie for sure. Tracing wheel

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is for clothe making, but I have used it for when I was embroidering to mark my fabric for straight even stitches.
    so you can find new uses for old tools. :D God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by ruacajun2
    You can use this tool over graphite paper for markings on fabric from patterns - I used this when I would sew clothes -- marking darts and pleats.
    So did I many years ago. I still my MIL's she has gone nearly30 years now. I miss her even though I was only the youngest DIL she had.

I actually use mine! When preparing a needle turn design I use it to trace a pattern onto the fabric. That forms the cutting line and will be turned under. Of course I use the tracing paper too. Am I the only one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by maxi
    I actually use mine! When preparing a needle turn design I use it to trace a pattern onto the fabric. That forms the cutting line and will be turned under. Of course I use the tracing paper too. Am I the only one?
    No, others still use the tracing wheel and paper. But there are not so many who do the beautiful needle turn applique. I still do some garment sewing and need the tracing paper for another type of marker that is easier on the pattern. It makes a small circle imprint where I need to fold or sew.

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    This tool is used to transfer marks to material using either carbon paper or chalk covered transfer paper. You run this tool over your pattern/design, on top of the transfer paper. It is used more for clothing patterns to transfer the pattern to the material. It is really a dressmaker's tool.
    Good idea Maxi for using this tool. I have used it to transfer a design to my material so I can quilt over it. I use the chalk type transfer paper.

It's a antique tracing wheel. You put special tracing paper between your pattern and your fabric and run the wheel along the pattern.
    This works great if you're tracing quilting designs or if you want to mark your background fabric for applique placement.

Fran in West Texas

It's an antique tracing wheel?? Have I gotten that old! Oh my goodness!!

That is a t racing wheel. We had to use them in Home Ec when I was in school. We had to use carbon paper for fabric and trace our seams on to the fabric. That wheel made tiny little dots to sew on.

I said antique because if you look at the construction of the ones made now compared to that one, your's is made to last.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6