Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what this is and what it if for?

Bev
    [quote/]You can still buy that paper now, sad to say I still have some and also the tracing wheel from highschool in the early 70's[/quote]

I still have my old wood handled one with a package of several sheets of different color paper. Haven't used it in forever.

8-)

I have one from my old garment making days but now I use it for scoring fold lines on my Freezer Paper foundation pieces. Use a light touch you don't want to tear the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    sewing tool
    It is a pattern - tracing tool. You place paper underneath an original pattern and then run this tool on the line that you want to trace. It will prick through the original pattern and leave little pricks in the paper underneath. You then cut out the pattern along the little pin - pricks on the underside paper. It is particularly useful if you have a multi - size pattern that you want to re - use in the different sizes and you don't have to spend time tracing the pattern and then cutting it out.

Thank you all. I laughed with some of the comments. I tried to cut paper with it, and that didn't work, so I tried to cut cloth with it, and that didn't work. I asked my husband, and he had no idea. ROFL. He said it was something sharp. LOL. :lol: It has a little curved metal piece on it, what is that for?
    If we are looking at the same piece, that curved part is where you put your index finger.

Power Poster
    It is used in sewing to trace a pattern from tracing paper onto material.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    It.s a dressmaking tool! Tracing wheel used to transfer pattern markings to fabric!!
    yep that it is but it is also good at marking patterns on wood for burnings as well. I have my grandma and both my husband's and & mothers tracing wheels. They are also great for kids playing with play-do as well. Over the years we have found lots of good uses for them. I have the rough ones as well as a smooth edge ones. Next time you are doing any art project think about the ways it will come in handy. Oh I almost forgot. If you make your own greeting cards, the smooth edge ones are great for marking the folds so you get a nice smooth fold. Have fun with you new found tool!

Tracing wheels and tracing paper are still sold at most all fabric stores including Jo Ann's, Wal Marts. Hobby Lobby and Michaels. My grandaughters tell me they are still used in their sewing classes and part of their required sewing kits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I think it's for cutting a minature pizza...............
    ha ha ha ha , you funny :lol:

Blog Entries
    It is a tracing wheel used for marking darts and such when making clothing. I have also used it in quilting for marking
    placement of applique flowers on black fabric.

All is fair game when quilting!!!!

tracing wheel..used one for years..marking dresses/blouses...darts in skirts/pants.

tracing wheel..used one for years..marking dresses/blouses...darts in skirts/pants.

sewing tool
    When we used tracing paper to mark darts on patterns, this is the little wheel you used. You put the pattern on the material and ran this over the lines transfering the lines to the material. haven't seen one in years.......

Born in Washington State. Been in California since 1968.
    Ladies, you have brought back some memories!

I was 16 when I got married. Not as smart as I thought I was.
    For many years my dining table had little dotted lines in the wood. I didn't think of putting a cushion on the table before marking the lines on patterns.
    I hated the marking...and I just figured out why. I would put the carbon paper in the middle of the 'sandwich'--layer 1--fabric, layer 2--carbon paper, layer 3--(on top) tissue pattern. As I was reading your comments I realized I should have had the carbon paper on the bottom,facing up!!!
    OMG! I have embarrassed myself.

Joya

Born in Washington State. Been in California since 1968.
    A ravioli cutter is bigger and washable. A tracing wheel is made out of sight weight metal that is not washable.

Think RUST!!

I'm older and smarter now, but I never did figure out how to get those little dimpled lines out of my dining table.

NLOL....NOT laughing out loud.

I have two of those!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alisapao730
    It's the Lone Ranger's long lost Spur!
    I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by missionslady
    It is a tracing wheel to be used with tracing paper when cutting out a pattern and transfer the markings. You usually use it when making garments. I've never had a need for it with quilting.
    Ditto. There is colored "tracing paper" which is placed between the patten and fabric.

Might be great in the kitchen for decorating cookies or something ....hee, hee....

;)

Blog Entries
    I agree it looks like a can opener or maybe a pizza slicer, maybe it is advised you eat pizza whilst quilting, could be messy.

Regards

Carol
    Melbourne
    Australia

Oh my that is an old tracing wheel. you need to frame it and hang it in your sewing room. I bet if it could talk it would tell you about all the clothes its marked to be sewn.
    I used to use one a good 55 years ago. that old!!!

Geez I must be old...back in the olden days this is what we used to mark/trace our dots and darts, that and with the colored waxed paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    It's a tracing wheel for tracing seams and darts with tracing paper...used in sewing
    You're RIGHT! :-D :-D How young is she??? lol! Really makes ME feel old!

You took me back to home-ec class in the 60s!! The teacher made us use the tracing wheel and tracing paper to mark darts, but my grandma just stuck a straight pin in the spot and used a crayon to mark it! I liked her method better!

Blog Entries
    sewing tool
    This is the tool that was used with pattern tracing paper, to copy the pattern onto fabric - primarily used when sewing clothing. The tracing or transfer paper came in a dark navy blue, bright red and sun shine bright yellow. The tracing paper was placed, waxed color side down onto fabric, with the pattern on top. This tool was then pushed on top of the patern markings. The points pushed thru and transferred the colored waxy finish from the transfer paper onto the fabric. (This did wash out.)

I didn't read all the posts, so excuse if this was already mentioned. I have seen Nancy Zieman use it without tracing paper just to make a temporary visible line to sew on or match an applique to. You just roll it on your fabric (not too hard) and there will be a line to follow.

I knew I had one of those things, and finally found it! Now to use it? nah, probably not.

sewing tool
    Now, you are really making me feel old. I have one amongst my sewing supplies, just too frightened to throw it out!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast