Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what this is and what it if for?

You have a real antique there.

OMG, to the ladies (including myself) that know what this tool is used for.....LOL...we need to be careful because we are really telling our age....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I think it's for cutting a minature pizza...............
    I was going to say that!!!!!! Edie

Darn, thought I was going to see something really old.

Blog Entries
    I feel recognizing this tool really dates me as I use to use one many, many moons ago! LOL

I use something like that to cut lattice strips for pies! Not for quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    MAAAAN! You make me feel so old!!! EVERY girl in our highschool took home ec and EVERY one of us was required to have one of those in our sewing bag!!!! .............
    I still have mine! Sure don't miss the old days.

tracing wheel used to mark darts. now I use to mark paper for pounching cauk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by two of two
    tracing wheel used to mark darts. now I use to mark paper for pounching cauk
    GREAT idea!!! I never thought of that!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    sewing tool
    It looks like an old tracing tool. I used these way back when with a carbon like paper you could buy, I don't know if they still sell it or not. The paper was in a package with several different colors. I would use the paper to lay on darts and other areas that I wanted to show up when I was just generally sewing, then use the tracing wheel to run over the lines. The sharp points on the blade cut through the carbon paper leaving marks. I still have a couple of these, not sure if I still have the paper or not. Now am I telling my age or what lol. Gerbie

Looks like a tracing wheel to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    OMG I have mind from HomeEc class in 7th grade it has a wood handle. If it is 42 years old is it antique or vintage.LOL
    It's a collectible til it is at least 50 yrs old. My mom was an antique dealer. Tho it really depends on what type of item you are talking about as differant things are antique at differant ages. But the general rule is 50 yrs.
    Well Gee Rhonda, I am more than 50 yrs old, so do I rate as an antique or a collectible? My B-day is today, and I'm way past 50. I guess I can tell DH this evening, he has a collectible. We've been married for 40 yrs. now, so our marriage is almost antique as well. lol Sorry but this was just too good to pass up. But I am really glad to know what the general rule is for an antique, because I really love antiques and visiting shops thanks for the good info.

Blog Entries
    It is a tool to use with paper to copy darts etc onto your fabric when sewing. It was a very essential tool way back when. You could alway get a perfect dart when you used this tool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbyT
    I hated that tool. In homec class we were required to use it and I just marked my project with a pencil for the darts. My item was perfect but the teacher marked me down because she said I skipped a step. I told her I marked the seam but she said she couldn't see it. -- I helped my friend on her robe. Actually I made most of it. We got an A on it. I got a B on mine because I didn't use that awfull tool. That was 41 years ago.
    I had the same problem with my cooking in Home Ec. I hated to cook then and still do. I would let my friends do the cooking and I would always clean up the messes, until our teacher caught me and threatened to fail me for the year if I didn't start cooking. I was sure aggrevated about it but, had to start cooking. I always felt like if any student could get the job done in some way that worked for them, that should be sufficient, I guess I learned that from my H Ec days. At least that's how I treated my students when I taught school, retired after 25 yrs of that.

It is a tracing wheel. As a matter of fact, I just used mine the other day to mark the diagonal line for mitered borders. I couldn't find a marking tool on hand that didn't need replacing, refilling or would show up on the fabric.

You wrap your four fingers around the handle like a rotary cutter, and rest your thumb on the curved in metal to push down with pressure. you are pushing through tissue paper, and tracing paper at the same time. I still have my first one from when I learned to sew in home economics when I was in high school about 45 years ago. Yes, I am 61. I used it a lot when I made clothes for my children and myself. A great tool for me at the time. shirleysonshine

I have also used it to decorate paper for designs and you could do that to scrapbook.

Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    OMG I have mind from HomeEc class in 7th grade it has a wood handle. If it is 42 years old is it antique or vintage.LOL
    Me too! Mine has a plastic handle though. I don't think I ever used it.

Ok.. just wondering. When teaching your grandaughters to sew, are you not teaching them to use tracing paper and tracing wheel to at least mark darts and pleat lines? Even tracing seam lines helps a young seamstress. Is there a better way ?

LOL....at Kathy's remark on "minature pizza cutter?"

Quote Originally Posted by ssnare
    sewing tool
    It's a pattern tracing wheel

I still use mine from the sixties, beats tailors tacking when making anthing that is shaped or needing darts.

This is an old tracing wheel used with carbon like paper. The paper used to come in colors, white, red, yellow maybe even black. We used these wheels to mark darts on sewing fabrics. You would place the carbon like paper, bolded, between your two pattern pieces and trace the dart from the top of the pattern, marking both sides at the same time, etc. I haven't seen one of these in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    It's a tracing wheel for tracing seams and darts with tracing paper...used in sewing
    Tracing wheel exactly.

Yep, as almost everyone has said, it's a tracing wheel used many years' ago (let's see - how old am I?)for marking darts, circles, etc. from the pattern to the fabric.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast