Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't stop sewing scraps... >

Can't stop sewing scraps...

Can't stop sewing scraps...

Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 AM

Just bound my sons queen size crazy quilt ..each crazy 12 inch block is one color and takes one hour to sew 36 blocks.
i can't wait to get home to start another on. It's great to keep scraps by color in plastic shoe boxes for this project.
scrapaholic as well as fabricholic..
Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 AM

I get that bug quite regularly. It usually happens when I am doing a big project or when I get done with it. I love it. I love scraps.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Ha! That's how my crumb quilt got made. Sewed two squares together just to "try" it. Decided I didn't like sewing with scraps - then kept putting bits togwther to "see" how they looked together ... finally had to give the scrap bag away to stop myself.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 PM

I just finished a crazy patch quilt from scraps. I LOVED, LOVED doing this. The sewing is a no brained and I got to use all of the fancy stitches on my machines. Can't wait to do another one. I cut the batting into squares to use as my foundation, made the squares and did the QAUG. I loved the way it turned out.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Last week I decided to do something with the baskets of scraps I have been saving. So every day I rush to my sewing room and just sew, sew, sew scraps together until they become big squares maybe about 16 inch squares. I now have about 8 or 10 of the big squares and I just keep sewing those scraps. It's almost like an addiction or something. I can't focus on anything else or even work on another project. I just HAVE to sew those scraps into bigger squares for a future quilt top. Is this some new disease or something? Has anyone else had this problem before? It's not like I don't have anything else to work on. I have 2 quilt tops finished, just need to be sandwiched and quilted. I have fabric and patterns for 2 more quilts to be cut out....but, I just keep going to those scraps. It's just this fascination of seeing small pieces of fabric become larger and larger......any antidotes?
IMHO, this is called "creative flow", and you should stick with it until it wears itself out. What's the worst that can happen? You'll end up with creative fabric to make something out of?! You could continue to have fun and feel wonderful about quilting? I mean, what's the down side, other than not getting other projects finished. As a writer and quilter, I can tell you that when I get into my "creative flow" with writing, I just go with it. I've never had an episode that didn't turn out to be something wonderful, even if I couldn't see what it was at the beginning. So I say "go with it" and just see what happens. Wouldn't it be a shame to waste this creative streak, and then never have it visit you again?
Old 05-25-2013, 03:38 PM

I just caught that bug last week and can't get rid of it - I to try to do something else, but just have to get back to to piecing those small pieces together I'm working on my third one since I started last week.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:44 PM

wow i have saved some scraps but was not sure what to do with them , thank you for the ideas !! but i have a question when sewing them together do you use a stabilizer under them or just sew them together any ole way they fit ?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 PM

I understand perfectly. I made a quilt that is one of my favorites. I love it. I think I posted it if you search my posts. It was the most fun of all my quilts...just mindless sewing, no ripping, no thinking. Have fun and post a picture.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:04 PM

I just looked for the picture. It is dark but you get the idea.
I am trying to load from my iPad and they don't seem to be loading...[ATTACH=CONFIG]415510[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]415511[/ATTACH]
i had it quilted with a spools, needle and thread.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 PM

I made this scrap quilt out of left over Thimbleberry fabrics. It is quite large - the sashing strips in-between the blocks are a cut 1".

It took forever, but I'm happy with it. I used leftovers on the back. I thought I would make a dent in the leftovers, but still have 3 plastic boxes full of the fabrics. Will have to find another scrappy project and try to use up the rest.
Attached Thumbnails img_2023.jpg  

Last edited by Karenowc; 05-25-2013 at 06:15 PM.