Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can't stop sewing scraps... >
  • Can't stop sewing scraps...

• Can't stop sewing scraps...

Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 PM

Default Me Too!

I keep sewing scraps together, too, but I usually make squares no larger than 12-14 inches and then make potholders from them using heat proof batting and scrap denim for the back. If I make larger squares, or rectangles, I make them into hot pads to protect tables. When I get too many made ahead, I donate them to the church or to other non-profits or to friends and family members.

Last edited by JackieG70; 05-24-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 PM

Go with the flow and enjoy. When you have enough blocks please show us what they end up as.
    Old 05-25-2013, 01:45 AM

I too have an addiction to scraps and crumbs. I have a wonderful stash which I haven't touched in ages, as well as several kits all cut out and ready to go! I LOVE TO CUT!!! is that weird? I think the reason I am addicted to scrap and crumb quilting is the unique variety of blocks you get from creating the fabric. I am sewing the binding on my crumb block quilt which is king sized now- and I have enough blocks made to make another king sized top, yet as others have stated-it doesn't seem that the crumb bags are getting empty. Thats because friends refill them as well as they do multiply on their own! If I had enough hours in a day I would be happy to just sit and crumb block and string block. My crumb blocks are 4 1/2 inches and some contain over 50 pieces........how do you use the snippets up? I have the addiction, but it's ok with me. The stash will be there for a quilters memory party when the time comes. I guess as one of my friends recently told me--"you were just reborn from a generation that made use of every crumb of fabric" funny-- I think they are right. I think my crumb quilt is as stunning as a planned one and it is awesome therapy, makes me sooooooooooo happy!
    Old 05-25-2013, 01:48 AM

I recently had the pleasure of attending one of Bonnie Hunters classes and showed my crumb block quilt--she loved it! So if that isn't happiness--I don't know what is.
    Old 05-25-2013, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I make lots of scrap quilts. The latest one I finished was a twin size log cabin quilt. I pieced all of the blocks on 2 of my Singer treadle machines; the Pfaff 60 treadle sewed the top and borders on. It was quilted by my friend on her long arm machine. I used my 1976 Pfaff 1222E for the binding. The outer border is a dark purple polka dot, for some reason it looks blue. The child who owns this quilt loves orange and purples.
    Sharon
    I love the way you did the top of that log cabin. I may try that one day.
    Old 05-25-2013, 02:56 AM

The four quilts I'm making for my staff are made from my scraps, and I still have tons more. We are talking about 1500 6.5" squares. They are made into 30" squares. They have been quilted with flannel as backing. They are being put together QAYG. I think I shouldn't have chosen QAYG. It is taking me way too long. I had the staff come over, and pick which squares they want, and in which order they want them. I was hoping to get the staff interested in quilting. It didn't work, but at least I got them interested in working as a group on colors. I am willing to start them off with all they need, including sewing machine. I am also letting them realize that things don't have to be thrown out. I find that they waste way too much. Paper that would normally get thrown out, is now being used for scrap notes, and hopefully, they will think past their noses.. so on..
    Old 05-25-2013, 03:12 AM

I don't have enough scraps yet... but maybe someday I will find the same joy.
    Old 05-25-2013, 03:16 AM
    Power Poster

I would like to have that addiction
    Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore
    I don't have enough scraps yet... but maybe someday I will find the same joy.
    Girl, it doesn't take long to get enough. It amazes me what my quilty friends will throw out. Put the word out to your friends and soon you will have a pile.
    Old 05-25-2013, 06:35 AM

As soon as you get those scraps sewn together you can buy more fabric!!