Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this Cheating... >

Is this Cheating...

Is this Cheating...

Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 PM

There isn't a wrong way if it's right for you.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 PM

I love tied quilts! They speak of great love and home. Don't let anyone discourage you from how you're doing your quilts. I think its very smart and frugal of you to use the backing for your binding also.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:21 PM

Just let it go in one ear & out the other! There are enough "quilt police" out there to populated their own country! Bottomline: they didn't work on your quilt & have no say in how you finish it! Not only is using the backing to bind it economical, lots of quilters actually prefer this method -- it's much quicker than fussing w/ bias binding! One of the quilters in my group likes to leave enough to "double it back" (fold in half to the inside before wrapping over the quilt edge), making the binding even stronger than a normal-thickness of binding would be. Often the wrapped edge is tighter & more secure. Enjoy your quilt!!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by sushi
I bet your mother envies your ability to finish what you start. In time you will rise above her snide remarks,
I agree...

My guess is that she is a perfectionist who can't seem to get over it and finish her projects. It can be a problem. Don't let it get you down. I have one lady who has given me a lot of baby quilts to give away that have been finished this way exactly and they are LOVED and admired, and even "coveted". Don't give it another thought.

But if you can, avoid talking to your mom about your quilts.

But I have a feeling she is probably like this about a lot of things you do. :(....just because that's the way she is.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
"this too shall pass" finally kicked in and now I'm waiting for "Rise above it". Maybe if I fix me a cup of hot tea that will help. LOL :) Thanks for letting me vent.
Throw a little chocolate into that tea, and the next time you hear those cutting comments reply that you are using a traditional method on a traditional craft, all perfectly legit.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

OMG if my mom did that to me, the conversation would have been:
Mom: What are you doing?
Me: Oh, just binding my quilt.
Mom: Oh, really, how are you binding it?
Me: Nunya.
Mom: Nonya, are you cheating and folding it over?
Me: Nunyabizness.

Kidding, I would have never smarted off to my mom. But my DAD is like that... I made a quilt for my nephew two years ago. I couldn't attend the wedding due to funds (out of town) so he came to get it to deliver it for us. He was all huffy because I had just a little more stitching to do. I made him wait his impatient little tookis until I was done, and wrapped it all pretty.

During all this, he was making sarcastic remarks (you know, they had a registry at Target & Kohls, and they were asking for blenders and yadda yadda...) I smarted off and said "Well, no one will be giving them the same gift as us, this is a box of love". He gave me a disapproving look.

Needless to say, the back fabric on that wedding quilt was turned over for the binding. My new neice (bride) made sure to call me when they arrived back down in Florida that this quilt was her FAVE gift from all they were given, as Nick liked to turn the air conditioning on high, and without it she would have frozen on the drive from Indy to Miami. She LOVES it. so pishaw to your mom. Do your quilts the way that make you happy. Its none of her business, she sounds like a control freak.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM

I have never thought of doing it this way. Being self taught and getting tips from quilters when I hit a snag, I was only taught how to do the binding with a seperate piece. I agree with others when they said that it will wear faster, however if you have enough to make it double then I don't see how that won't make it last just as long as the other way. I have tied a couple of quilts myself and they have come out very nice.
If quilting and sewing is our hobby, then we deserve to do it in a way that is pleasing to us.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Remember there are NO QUILT POLICE. Maybe she feels inadequit herself that is why she is so critical of you. She does not even finish her quilts. So how does she know?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM

I agree with Lovequilts ... do it your own way. Your binding is a traditional method for binding, as is tying quilts. One of my most treasured family quilts made a long time ago is tied. Love and enjoy every quilt you make. The relationship between moms and daughters can sometimes be difficult. Accept that your mom is going to be critical of you, but don't let her comments keep you from enjoying your craft. Blessings.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM

Was your mother always this crabby?