Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Christmas Red.....

Blog Entries
    I don't buy many kits but have a friend who does. She often remarks that they don't put enough fabric in for the pattern. She is an experienced quilter who knows how to follow instructions and cuts according to directions. I pre-wash but would be afraid to if it was a kit.

I made a quilt and did not prewash and when I did--my greens ran and so did the red. So, now I prewash allmy fabric and iron it. I would rather take the time to prewash than spend my time making a quilt or anything else and have it ruined by bleeding fabric. Mostly I have found that Batiks run, along with dark greens and reds.

Blog Entries
    Test the fabrics to see if they need pre-washing. Wet a corner, put it between 2 pieces of paper towels, put weight on a plate on top of it ( books) for about half an hour. If color doesn't transfer to the towels, no need to prewash. If color does transfer, you need to prewash AND should probably use color grabbers - re-wash until no color shows on the color grabbers. Food for thought - a wallhanging won't be washed very often - if ever, so little or no worries about color transfer. A table topper MAY be washed, so think about color placement. Is the color that shows on the towel going to be next to a lighter color? If it isn't, a color grabber in the wash load should be enough, and you don't have to pre-wash.

Here's another thing: Go thru the list of how much of each fabric is included. If there is a generous amount, say 2-3 inches more than you SHOULD need, don't worry about shrinkage from prewashing. If the amounts seem to be very scant, check to see if the cutting instructions are making the best use of the fabric.

Prewash--ALWAYS in my house!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2