Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Colors in a Quilt, What colors you like and dislike and Why?

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    i have learnt not to dislike any color..as used with the right colors they make the quilt shine. Sometimes people post their fabric choices prior to making a quilt and i think that those fabrics dont go together..says me who is color challenged!!! but then when I see the finished quilt I love it! :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I like most colors, but I wear earth tones so naturally those are the one I buy the most. I make myself buy colors that aren't my favs or my quilts would be boring. Thimbleberries line are probably my least favorite, but would I take some if given, you betcha. Today one of my students was telling me that I put colors in that she doesn't like and is amazed at the finished quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Purple in every quilt and I don't care who it's for. It's my siganture color. I'm like MadQuilter, not many solids or batiks but am working on getting some solids just for a change of pace in the qiuilts. I do lean towards smaller prints but have some large floral that are stashed b/c I'm not sure what to do with them. I use lots of purples and blues which my stash reflects and minus orange I have just about color in the palette in my stash just less of some than others. I admit to not having much pink either as it's not a color I favor or even like.
    i put purple in every quilt too.....i am printing this & sending it to my kids! they think i'm nuts....but apparently i'm nuts in good company!

I like bright colors and pastels. Don't care much for
    reproductions of 30's or civil war fabrics. Love orientals, but don't care for the square jawed ladies.
    Didn't used to like orange til I made a fall themed table
    runner for a friend, now I like it. Still don't care for
    yellows and browns. Use black a lot for sashes and borders.

Catlady

colors are a good topic, i don't like yellow,orange, and browns. but that was before i became a quilter. i'm learning to like them a little at a time. my sister has been quilting for 18 years, i've only been quilting for a little over 3 years. sometimes you need the colors to bring out the bueaty in the colors you do like.

I lean on the old and true artist color wheel to know which colors compliment each other when putting together a quilt. I'm sure you can find one on the internet or your local art supply store would have them. I don't understand why more quilt shops don't supply these.

I love blues, greens, and purple and I thought I didn't like pink, but I have been using it in combination with these colors, especially a hot pink or fuscia (sp?).

I am always drawn to batiks and not drawn to 30's fabrics at all. I don't really care for orange, but use it for accents sometimes.

I like large florals, but haven't done too much with them yet. And although I thought I loved red, I just bought my first piece of red to start a new quilt.

I guess variety is the spice of life and none of us fits in the same box all the time. :lol:

I like color, intense, subtle, soft. ANY color. I don't like 30's, but I LOVE 19th century. My favorite color is red, and I wear a lot of red. I am just now starting to decorate the house with red. A little goes a lonnnng way!

I love the color red so you would think I would have a lot of reds,, not so, I decided to make a quilt in all reds like I saw in a book ,and went to my stash. not much there so I am having a ball looking for reds it takes 25 different fabrics Fat quarters good thing I'm not in a hurry to make this quilt

i love bright colors the brighter the better, but i think purples are my favorites made a black w/white, white w/ black and red one and just loved it but still missed my purple

Yellow. I love it in clothing or curtains, but you will RARELY see it in my quilts.

Blue is my favorite color!! I also love Earth tones....tans, browns, greens.

I go with the smaller prints nearly all the time. There was time when I did not think about it, but now I realize that these yards will be cut into pieces that are usually smaller than my fist. Large flowers would not show up well when cut.

Hi Everyone..I love all fall colors for myself but made a blue,lavender and cream quilt for one daughter and Black and white and red for the other daughter.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    When I first started quilting, I would have said I hate orange and most shades of it (rust, peach, etc...). Now I would say, there really isn't a color I won't use. My biggest challege now is to make myself do a two color, two fabric quilt. Actually a 2 color quilt I would like to do, but limiting myself to 2 fabrics.....mmm I don't know if it will ever happen.
    I purchased a book that is full of 2 color quilt patterns. Lots of great patterns.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I like most all colors except the irredecent colors. For me I dislike more fabric patterns and designs. When I am in a lqs usually what catches my eye the most is Moda. My least favoirte is Amy Butler. My favorite color is purple, all shades. I love the pink, purple, green (pastels) combination. I love jewel tones, not much into the muddy colors, like Thimbleberries and such. They tend to be oppressive to me when I look at them.

My least favorite color is bright orange, though I love the peach colors. I am usually surprised by what my eye catches at the lqs - the teal colors and other bluish greens, yet I have none of them in my home.

When I want to make something for me, I choose the warm colors of autumn (and peach) usually including a dark blue with some yellow and red in them.

I would so much like to work on a quilt with jewel tones... maybe next time, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I have yet to find a color that doesn't work somewhere for something, but I pretty much stay away for orange, just because it's not my taste. Don't use much purple either unless it's for my mother-in-law. I lean heavy on greens, tans, and blues.
    you know, i would have said orange too, about a year ago. But I have three different planned (groups of fabrics purchased, some with patterns chosen) quilts which feature orange prominently!!! Never say never!!

Blog Entries
    I don't do pastels. They don't fit my personality. I love asian prints that are in bold colors. And I love fabrics that have pictures that I can showcase.

Bright colors are gorgeous but the more quilts I make, the more I find myself preferring the quiet, restful colors to actually use. Love creams and tans. It may be just a phase I'm going through!

dsj

You all are right, It's not that I really dislike a certain color I just stick to certain ones for some reason. I am afraid to step out of the box I think.

Blog Entries
    I have usually leaned towards pastels and the 30's prints but last year DD asked me to make a quilt for a friend's new baby...something really bright!! I was panic stricken for a while but came up with this. Completely out of my comfort zone but when it was finished I absolutely loved it. Now I do the Downy quilts and they are also really bright. I know now I was in a rut and needed to stretch my mindset a little. More fabric to add to the collection...lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Very bright, I love it.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the quiltingboard and I'm fairly new to quilting, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fabric! I spent close to a thousand dollars on fabric alone in 2009 and it looks so beautiful stacked in my sewing room! I can only imagine how the quilts in my head will look once I get the courage to cut my beautiful fabrics.

I'm attracted immediately to blues and yellows when I am in the fabric store. Just bought a "bali pop" of 2 1/2 inch strips called "green tea" and I can't wait to turn them into something beautiful. I love batiks and small floral prints. I don't have any browns or beiges in my current fabric supply, but there's always 2010 to add those colors to my stash! LOL!

I LOVE this quilting board and I have enjoyed reading posts for the past few weeks and learning from all of you!

Lisa in California

I love purple and green. They are my favorite colors. I don't like blue....seems like everyone I know loves blue.

I love blue, purple, red, teal, bright colors. Orange is not normally on my radar however I did buy some. If anyone is familiar with Laurel Burch's mythical horses fabric line, it has wonderful colors in it. I made a quilt for my new grandson, then another for his "big boy" bed. I have never been a fan for pastel colors for baby quilts, it seems boring.

i like pastels also and earth tones, but play around with different colors,good luck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast