Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Come Quilt with me Today - 7/15

.........And stop......I've gotten 3 rows sewn together and no applique....boohoo...Now I've gotta get onto my customer quilt and putting on the binding. 80 x80 machine to the front and hand to the back. That will take a few hours...sooooo...you all will see later in the month what I've done with my Christmas quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That Christmas quilt is looking so festive. I just know it will be a stunner when it is done. What are you going to applique on it?

And, for those who, like me, did not know, the pre-virtual quilt thread has also been going today and there are more lovely projects to view over there (including another cute Christmas quilt!) http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t194366-5.html

Seems a lot of people missed the link telling them to come over here... Next time (there will be a next time, right?!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease?!!!) maybe we can start the real thread a little earlier? I think that would work well, not just for people in different time zones like me. (In fact, I will be in a different time zone for the next one- moving again!)
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

got the 4 patches sewn, going to start pressing, but still need another 120 4 patches, so I guess I will be pairing up more 2" squares. I may do some hand sewing on my cousins cat quilt also or instead.

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
    And, for those who, like me, did not know, the pre-virtual quilt thread has also been going today and there are more lovely projects to view over there (including another cute Christmas quilt!) http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t194366-5.html

Seems a lot of people missed the link telling them to come over here... Next time (there will be a next time, right?!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease?!!!) maybe we can start the real thread a little earlier? I think that would work well, not just for people in different time zones like me. (In fact, I will be in a different time zone for the next one- moving again!)

Maybe we could just stay with the initial post instead of starting a new one on the actual VQD? That way we could read everything everyone has said from the beginning instead of switching between the two threads. You can subscribe to the original thread, have emails sent to you when a post is added, click on that link, and you will be taken to your next unread post...no scrolling through posts you've already read.

Managed to get my blocks made & laid out for my Warm Wishes Baby quilt, but had to give my poor neglected flower garden a clean up as I've been away for 6 weeks and today was nice & cool. Then just when I was going to start stitching DD & her little pug arrived..... But here is what I have accomplished today.Name:  Devon001 (Small).JPG
Views: 255
Size:  65.6 KB and a close up of the fabric, it's a Robert Kaufman called "Over the Rainbow" Name:  Devon002 (Small).JPG
Views: 290
Size:  57.1 KB

Here is my wallhanging. I had the top done forever, but just got around to quilting and binding it.
    Name:  redwork wallhanging.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  8.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    Here is what I'm doing instead of what I am supposed to be doing! The border of the quilt is my goal today. The purpose of the quilt is to use up scraps and it is working. Only one fabric repeated so far.

I put a quick tutorial in my album so any one can go there to see how incredible easy this is to do. The album is in 2 parts cause I couldn't get it to load all of them in one album!? Also the pics loaded in reverse order so work backwards! Like I usually do anyway.

This is much more impressive than I thought it would be so to use up more of my tons of scraps I am going to start making some more in tone on tones, I think this pattern would look cool in all scraps of all one color. All reds, all blues, all yellows, all greens, etc.

enjoy! Please show off your VQD accomplishments.

We should have a special place for this thread.
    peace to allAttachment 349154

The pattern was free from McCalls Quilting in 2008. It came as a free gift after getting the magazine.
    Well the day is over for me. Time to ready myself for work on Monday. Piecing the border went well. Two sides are finished. It has been fun seeing everyones work and progress. Here's a pic of my progress.
    Thanks everyone for sharing,
    peace to allName:  do da border 002.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  304.8 KB
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I just love looking at what you all have gotten done today. Everyone has done an outstanding job!

MY wonderful daughters pinned the quilt for me, so I am on to the hand quilting!! I am going to outline the parts of the flowers and echo the sashings etc..It's amazing to me that a 9 year old told me how she wanted this made as well as picked out all the fabrics when I took her shopping the other day. i am attaching a picture, but unfortunately I took it on the phone and it doesn' show how colorful it actually is.Name:  felicity quilt.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  5.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone! Great job on all of your projects. I got my dh's gifts all bound and he decided we should clean carpets today. Why? I have no idea. He even insisted on doing my studio. So these are all I got done today plus a clean house. LOL!

Happy Quilting.

I'm sorry I missed today too - I posted on another thread about not having any motivation to get started sewing again, and someone mentioned that today was virtual day! I hope there will be more virtual days (in my case I'd need at least once a month of them). Great work by all of those that posted pictures of their work!

Blog Entries
    Name:  Autumn Swirl 2012 003.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  566.6 KBWell, I was one of those who posted to the other thread. But have been quilting all day and it was so fun. Thank you!!! I finished the "Santa's Galore" - a UFO that has been in the works for 2 years. First time I did a braided border. Love the look. Now it's ready to go to my SIL when we travel to MI in a few weeks.

Also worked on another UFO - had to do some "design changes" since this is old also. But I decided since I was going to be donating it, I should just GET IT DONE. Just the binding left to put on.

All these pictures are wonderful. Lots of new ideas for quilts to come.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

I guess I've gotten far enough along now to post. Had a late start today. The swoon block is pieced. I recently traded FQ's for scraps here ion the board and got this awesome piece of black with gold flowers. Had to use it quick! And the DWR is making progress. All of the arcs are pieced, but the fussy hand stitching is taking a while. The third row should be on by bedtime and then only one more row to go. It will be 19" square when complete.

It is almost 9:00 p.m.; but I have finally met my goal for today. I did all of the appliqué and embroidery on my snowman block of the month for July. I didn't realize it would take me so long; but the block looks great. It was fun working with all of you. Thanks!

Such beautiful work from everyone..I am SO looking forward to next month's meeting!! Of course I am open to participate more often since I am out of work on disability..I am working on making each of my grandbabies a quilt, and want to make some Christmas gifts too. I have made quite a few Bow Tucks purses, and am open for more ideas for gifts (HINT)..I will be spending the rest of the evening hand quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by himnherr View Post
    I'm ready for this! I can't get started for 2 more hours but here's my plan: I'm in my camper this wk which is what I'm making my scrappy log cabin for. I'm doing QAYG so I brought it with me and tried it on the bed. I realize I need one more row on each side- 12 more blocks. So I started earlier this wk- I have 5 done so far. My goal is to get the other 7 done today. Then I'll just be sandwiching each row & attaching. But at least all blocks will be done! Yay me!! Happy sewing day everyone! I'll post pics later.
    Well, I didn't get to make all 7 of my log cabin blocks but I did get 5 made. They are 1 1/2" logs. I only have 2 more to finish them. I'll do them tomorrow then I can start sandwiching. This was a good day for me even tho I had to work in sewing around "life".

Blog Entries
    I got a lot of quilting done!! I finished the throw (posted above) and all the blocks on the dragon fly quilt. I couldn't believe it was 9:00 when I finally stopped!! I wish I could do this every week!

Blog Entries
    Another's suggestion for the mini debacle. I think this is what she suggested. Guess I should've done an EQ quilt first. 2nd image is EQ version of how I sewed it. 3rd is with plain blocks. Name:  crazy 4P.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  34.5 KBName:  crazy 4P  II.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  39.7 KBName:  crazy 4P III.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  36.5 KB
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

that is such a pretty black and gold block. I've made a DWR quilt, it is a lot of work. I can check that off my list of quilts to do cause I don't think I'll do it again! Yours is so cheerful. Great job. Loved seeing everyone's pics. Hopefully I'll be more motivated at the next one

Quote Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
    I guess I've gotten far enough along now to post. Had a late start today. The swoon block is pieced. I recently traded FQ's for scraps here ion the board and got this awesome piece of black with gold flowers. Had to use it quick! And the DWR is making progress. All of the arcs are pieced, but the fussy hand stitching is taking a while. The third row should be on by bedtime and then only one more row to go. It will be 19" square when complete.

Blog Entries
    Great work ya'll!! I was hoping to join you but had my 2nd round of this new chemo this week. Been feeling crappy since. I did sit here and cut the rest of the backing squares for my parents 60th Anniversary Quilt and cutting strips for my next Relay for Life quilt. Next year it's going to be in different pinks. The last 2 have been multi colors for different cancers.
    Last edited by COYOTEMAGIC; 07-15-2012 at 05:20 PM.

I spent most of the day doing free motion on a quilt for my BIL. Oh did I struggle today, broke 3 needles and arrrrr made some mistakes that I got to correct. My old machine, the tension didn't want to cooperate and had to move to my second machine and even struggled with that....I think I struggled because I wanted to get it done today! I think I got a case of burnt out.My dh took me out for an ice cream, said I needed to get out some. That did help. Hope everyone quilting day went well and you got a lot accomplished.

love the black and gold quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
    Vanogay! I love your handwork and have a Sashiko sampler drawn and ready to try. I've hand quilted forever and think I just may be able to do it. One question.. Do you use a Sashiko thimble? There are always new products to try but I try to avoid gimmicks. I suppose I should just start doing it and see if it works with my normal thimble. Your Oriental fabrics are just gorgeous and you have showcased them so nicely!
    Thank you for the compliment. No, I do not use a Sashiko needle, but I also don't put more than 3 'jabs' on my needle at one time. I'm not that consistent - this particular piece had the pattern on the cloth, so was somewhat easier. I bought one, but haven't really used it. I also use a crewel needle - I don't like the length of the Sashiko needle, I have better control with a shorter.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

I worked until about 9 and then took a hot bath to work the kinks out of my shoulders, with a glass of wine to work the kinks out of my mind. lol I got almost as far as I wanted to - 6 of the 7 rows of my quilt are put together and the blocks of the last row are mid-construction. Hopefully tomorrow night I can finish the last row and them sew the rows together. I will post a picture the minute it's in one piece.

Rachel, thank you so much for starting this. It has gotten me back to quilting with an enthusiasm that I have not had for quite a while. I have finished three tops in the past two months and that is way more productive than I've been. And thanks to my fellow retreaters - it was fun to follow your progress.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I finished cutting this out last night to start to put together today. It is brown, red and a brown/red/tan stripe to make it look masculine. It is for Mitch. I don't allow him to use the big quilts.
    Name:  0715122049.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  397.0 KB

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast