Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Come Quilt with me Today - 7/15

Quote Originally Posted by Vanogay View Post
    Well, I posted very early this morning and then went to church and to Knoxville to run some errands and lunch while we were out. Came home and went downstairs to sew. Hubby finally wanted to eat, so just quit and came up to post these pictures to show what "Little" work I did today. I hope to go back downstairs after he eats (I won't be eating - one big meal per day is all I can handle) and finish at least with the borders on the Asian Scrappy quilt. Here's some progress postings. The smaller pieces are needing handwork - one just binding and the other some hand quilting to finish up.
    I am madly in love with your scrappy Asian top! I love, love, love it! That pattern looks familiar but I can't quite place it. What is the name of that pattern? Wow! Yummy!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
    Here is a picture of my scrappy WIP. (It was taken at an angle to keep my shadow off it- it is not QUITE as wonky as it looks here!)

As I posted on the other thread, I did everything wrong with this one- notably messing up the measurements when I changed the size of it, but also getting my seam allowances wrong, plus not being able to keep the strips straight, no matter now much I starched (Wish I had foundation pieced, especially the piano keys). So I have cut back and cut back to square it up a bit and the thing will disappear altogether if I don't finish it soon!

For our virtual quilting retreat today I worked to get all the strips the same length and straight, and to sew them together. (I may cut it back a bit when I add the outer border- you can see that I ended up with some unfortunate piecing there but THAT IS OK because it is no longer in strips all over my sewing room, with bits of the many fabrics lying around "just in case"!)

But I have decided that it needs another strip in the space I have left- having two sets of points coming together all wonkily is more than even I can bear. What do you think would work in that space- something easy to make and forgiving for a bad measurer?!

When that is done I think it will be about 27 inches square and I MAY use it as a medallion and make a small quilt/throw out of it. If I can bear to work on it any more lol. It has 278 pieces in it already.

Edited to say- as I look at this photo I can see that I was right in thinking I have no sense of value- it is nearly all the same value and then there are a few dark brown/pink combos that just jump out. If there had been more of them it might have made a pattern lol. Maybe I need a border in those browns/pinks to wake it up a bit? Views?

Learning by doing.... that's me- please help!!

Attachment 349282
    I'm all about brown & pink so any time that can be worked into a quilt, I'm on board! But in this case, I really think that would be a nice addition. Plus, it would enlarge this (which I think you wanted to do). I love this so far & can't wait to see it all done.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Thanks burch! I am trying to decide while I am still fired up from Sunday. Otherwise it could be sitting there for ages again....

Blog Entries
    Sometimes all we need is a nudge!
    Thanks burchquilts. The crumbs are 1 inch finished--will finish 10.5" square and the strippy is 1.5 finished--will finish 11" square.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I stayed away from the computer today until I finished a prayer quilt for a family member. Got it done! It will be on it's way to CA tomorrow. <><
    To God be the Glory!

Blog Entries
    well this afternoon I started putting the rows together..I think everyone on here is ahead of me...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Today was my weekly Quilt Group at the library. Before I left the house I had to rip out a strip of purple sashing which I added to a row and did not need there?? LOL Took the large white blocks to group and then finished adding sashing between squares and pinned strips down the middle so I can conneted all of them. Lavendar petals in a flower like pattern with purple yoyo in middle of each one. I had to replace computer last week and finding it hard to get around in some areas with the new Win 7. I don't believe my photos or address book and etc trf with the other data so have a mess to try and put things back on here.

Blog Entries
    I'm always behind!!

Quote Originally Posted by duckydo View Post
    well this afternoon I started putting the rows together..I think everyone on here is ahead of me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by duckydo View Post
    This will be a lovely, lovely quilt.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    I guess I was part of the group that did not see that we were to move over to another thread for the virtual quilt retreat! I just now read through the 'other' thread and I am so in awe of the projects I saw! Love, love, love all of them! I continued working yesterday morning and am making progress on a leaf quilt. Love the motivation. Maybe next time I will pay better attention to what thread to post with!
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by wraez View Post
    Thanks for the tip on how to view new messages!

I answered another post about not being able to get away from the computer to work on quilt blocks, mug rugs or lots of other projects that I am itching to do. I'm planning to turn off the computer and go back to bed, it is only 3:30am here in CA and I couldn't sleep .... I'm afraid if I turn it back on again I won't get anything accomplished!

I'll try my darndest to get something accomplished today, even if it is just to work on some fabric postcards for a couple of swaps!
    You out did me at least I slept until 4:45, here in Lake Elsinore,CA. Hope you got some extra ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. have a good day, I'm going to try to cut some pieces for the tumbling block quilt I'm making. Have the strips all sewed together and pressed. I have never made one using this pattern/method..
    don't you just love the spell check that now works on here???
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanogay View Post
    Well, I have been waiting for today and it's here. As soon as I get home from church and running two errands, I'll be on the machine and sewing with everyone. I'd like to finish one quilt today - it only needs the outer border put on. Then I have one more dress cut out (I do pillowcase dresses for children in Peru - except I don't use pillowcases, I make them from cut fabric). Then if there's time, I have hand work that really needs to be accomplished. Sew happy everyone. See ya later.
    Kathleen, I'd love to see a pic of one of the dresses? Would you share the pattern? Thanks.

I'm a working gal so probably won't get to join in the virtual sew today. Drats! But, I did make a mug rug last evening for a co-workers birthday today!

TammyB

Saw this post for the first time today. What a great idea! I've been off work for almost 4 months due to the company renovating the hotel I work at. It's been wonderful!!! I've gotten so much done finishing UFO's and other things. Today I will be finishing the machine applique on my Current Affairs quilt and hopefully putting the borders on. This one is only 3 years old. Between jaunts on the sewing machine I sit and hand piece my Grandmother's Flower Garden flowers. This is a long time ongoing project. I have 52 flowers done with the white added. Have 50 to add the white to still. I'll check in later to see progresses.
    The decisions we make determine the lives that we lead. - The Renaissance Man

Blog Entries
    Name:  Pink Scrappy Throw 001.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  525.6 KBI was so determined that I finished the second UFO that I started on Sunday. It is now folded and ready to be delivered to the Ronald McDonald House. Have always loved the scrappy look. Now I'm going to work on a doll blanket (scrappy of course) for a cousin. Can't wait to start the first braid.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

Blog Entries
    Overlander, I love the look of the butterfly quilt. I'm a sucker for B and W anyway. What are you going to bind it in?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

Blog Entries
    Everose--like the pick setting with your scrappy. Thanks for sharing with us and RMcD house.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

This is just the center of the quilt. I still need to add the log cabin and star blocks and then the borders. I've worked since just before 11 am today and got all the applique on (yuk, don't like applique) and the blocks and top and bottom panels. Now to take a break till after dinner then start cutting the 4 borders that will finish this to queen size. The butterflies are my own touch, the pattern called for flowers. The borders will be red (2"), black/white tigers (5"), black (2"), black/white/red floral/leaves and bind it in black I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtquilts View Post
    I guess I was part of the group that did not see that we were to move over to another thread for the virtual quilt retreat! I just now read through the 'other' thread and I am so in awe of the projects I saw! Love, love, love all of them! I continued working yesterday morning and am making progress on a leaf quilt. Love the motivation. Maybe next time I will pay better attention to what thread to post with!
    I don't think we were suppose to start a new thread from what I can tell.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Overlander, that quilt is so beautiful. For someone who doesn't like applique, you do it very well! I wish to be able to quilt like that.
    Vicki

Blog Entries
    Overlander, WOW, WOW!!! Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    You are lucky...plums...I have two plum trees and only one plum...LOL
    The tree belongs to a friend. My husband and I picked 2 bushels, so now I'm busy taking care of them.
    I did get a little of my quilt worked on so it was a productive day.

Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
    I had a knee replacement 7 weeks ago. Do your physical therapy and enjoy being waited on and taken care of. It will end too soon I'm afraid.
    Thankyou!! I am making the most of it!!! My DH is in the conservatory doing the IRONING!!! Bless him!! Just ironed all his underpants!!!(I haven't done that in 33yrs!!!!) Yesterday some of my 'quilty'friends visited and he made us all a lovely lunch!!! Think he's definitely a keeper!!!
    Hilary

Thanks, I love this quilt too. When I got the kit I was so gung-ho I thought it would be done in no time. Well, 3 years later I am finally finishing it up. I shouldn't have stopped yesterday. Had dinner and was too tired and hot to continue. Will see if I can work on it this morning. It rained a bit last night so has cooled off, but by dinner time it will be sweltering again and our little house doesn't have a/c. I've really enjoyed reading through all the posts and looking at all your quilts and projects. Will be looking for the next virtual quilting day.

Blog Entries
    This was my first quilt-along. How often does this happen on QB? I'd love to do it again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    This was my first quilt-along. How often does this happen on QB? I'd love to do it again!!!
    About once a month!! Watch for the notice usually a few days before the event

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast