Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Come Virtually Quilt with me Today - 6/24

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I'm too sexy for my hair??
    We have a winner!!

When Maria told me she was diagnosed with cancer our first conversation was about how she was going to wear crazy wigs. True to those words, about a week after her first Chemo treatment she had a big "head shaving" party at her house and since then she's been walking around in a purple wig.

Got the words ironed on. Contemplating sewing them down or making dinner ... not sure yet which will win.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

My Mom loved that saying when she was going thry Chemo..at that time they were trying to sell "spray on" hair,,,Of course we bought her every color there was..she wa afraid to actually try it..Will keep Maria in my prayers

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    We have a winner!!

When Maria told me she was diagnosed with cancer our first conversation was about how she was going to wear crazy wigs. True to those words, about a week after her first Chemo treatment she had a big "head shaving" party at her house and since then she's been walking around in a purple wig.

Got the words ironed on. Contemplating sewing them down or making dinner ... not sure yet which will win.

Well, I'm taking a little break from my sewing to eat some dinner. I've been hard at work on a Jelly Roll Race. I have the top all sewed together & have the inner borders sewn on both long sides. But, now I'd decided that (a) the top is wider than I want it to be & (b) the inner border is too wide (it's 2" now). So, after I refuel, I think I'm going to whack the borders off & take a little bit of the top as I do so. Then I'm going to add 1" inner border & then the outer border (which I'd planned to do at 4" but now don't know for sure). Plus, I'm still on the hunt for a quilting book here in the house. I can't remember the exact name of it but I know I'll recognize the name & the front cover. Grrrrrr! I hope everyone else is having a fun & productive day. These are so helpful!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

We have a winner!!

I love Maria's attitude.

Oh, go ahead and sew the letters on. Dinner can wait.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries

working in my quilting space. my living room !

I am green with envy for anyone that has an actual room to quilt in.. 30 years ago I started in my living room.. I am back now.. with much less space. ... but quilting away ! Tubs are my friends. Clear tubs. !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

I've 1/2 way reached my goal. I have 5 heads fused to their background fabric. Of course, having to redo one, putting dinner on the stove to simmer and sorta watching the Nascar race slowed me down a bit. Almost time to put finishing touches on dinner and then eat. It's smelling good and suddenly I'm very hungry.

I'll be back later to see what else has been finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    Wow, sounds like we're all getting a lot accomplished. Keep up the great work. I'm finished with Month 4, see picture below, there are 4 blocks. I've also attached a picture of my cutting room and 2 of my angels who helped me in the sewing room earlier. I have the pillowcases ready to work on. I'm headed downstairs for lunch. I made chicken salad for sandwiches last night and potato salad also. I threw a chocolate cake in the crockpot before I started this morning and it smells really good. So it will be a few minutes before I head back to the sewing room!
    2 non-quilting things... chocolate cake in the crock pot? How does that work? It sounds yummy! And your helpers? Too, too cute!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Chicca and her watering ladies love it ! like my dolly quilt ! Fun !
    Ell

Nice sheep Sunnie! Baaaaaa.
    They're adorable! I love them!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
    Yea! I met my goal. All of the pieces are cut out even the fussy cut outer borders. I have also marked the 200 squares that will be used to make flying geese. Now, I am going to relax as I work on hand sewing my applique squares for another project. Tomorrow, I can start sewing on my quilt. It will be so much easier with everything ready for sewing.
    OH MY !! to cut all that out at once ! I admire you !

Ell
    Ell

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Do we have a date for the next virual sew? I really like these.
    I think they're always the last Sunday of the month. I'm not near a calendar (I suppose there's one here on my 'puter someplace but I'm too dumb to find it) but I assume it's around this same date.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicdog View Post
    Finished my goals for the day!! Yay!! Love this thread and hope we can do this again. Loved seeing everyone's projects - going to beg my DS to teach me how to post a pic. Is this a monthly thing??

Cindy
    Yep, we've been doing it for several months now... the last Sunday of the month. Super fun, eh?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

My Mom loved that saying when she was going thry Chemo..at that time they were trying to sell "spray on" hair,,,Of course we bought her every color there was..she wa afraid to actually try it..Will keep Maria in my prayers
    When my BFF was going thru her chemo, she got a really sexy long blonde wig... so unlike her it wasn't even funny. Which is what made it so great. Her theory was that cancer had turned her into a stone cold fox... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

OK, Rebecca, I put it on my calendar. If I miss it I am holding you responisible. 30 lashes with a wet noodle.

Wink what I got done today

Finished the Color Pools table runner. Just goes to prove there is no such thing as a perfect square or circle. But we like it. Have to go to grocery store then maybe attack the red/black/white asian quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."

What is a fussy cut??
    The fussy cut border has the same design on each of the four strips. In this border, the 9 1/2" wide strip is centered over a strip of roses. Since the border is centered over the roses, you have to make more cuts. There is excess fabric between each strip. I did not enjoy cutting those borders; but they are beautiful and will be mitered.

When I started planning the quilt I googled "cancer sayings" and found it, then I thought of the woman in the pose, and the last step was the horizontal strips and ta-da ... a quilt is made.

5 letters sewn down.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

MammaLlama

I love it!!!!

Sue

Blog Entries
    thank-you for the modivation!!! I worked on my mother's quilt. FMQ'd it then put on the first side of the binding...took a two hour nap. Woke up and finished the binding! Yah...In the washer it goes!
    Last edited by carolaug; 06-24-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    This has been lots of fun, reading up on everyone, viewing beautiful projects and different sewing spaces. All so different! Sheep are just too cute. Female shadow is awesome! Company left and I did get to sew up the last borders on my scrappy quilt and it is ready to go on the longarm next week. Yippee!
    Helen T.

This was a great idea even if I way underperformed in reaching the goals I set for today. I had to make a memory block and it took all darn day. You name it- it went wrong. lol But it's done now and maybe I can get a few of my HSTs for another quilt in process done before I give up for the day.

It has been great reading about what everyone is doing and following the progress made. This virtual retreat motivated me to get back to quilting, so I am a happy camper today.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I'm joining! I'm working on a chemo quilt for a friend.

Yesterday I drew and cut the applique of a life sized woman standing in a sexy pose - black fabric. I had an oops when I was peeling the steam-a-seam to adhere to the fabric. Near the bottom the web separated and stayed with the paper instead of adhering to my fabric. I think I'll be Ok though as only a small 1" long by perhaps 1/4" wide area of the inside of one of her calves didn't adhere - the rest of the problem was confined to the area in-between her legs down to her feet. Whew!!!

BTW - this is the first time I'm doing applique. Typical for me, I jump right in to the deep end and do an applique that is over 5' tall!!

Today I'll be sewing it with clear poly thread to the quilt top. The quilt top is a blue/white/yellow 2" strips laid horizontally (like a Jelly Roll Race).

Next step will be to cut out the words and applique those as well. I may have to run out for more steam-a-seam.

No borders so when that is done, just quilt and bind.
    Love your full size lady. Can't wait to see the quilt done with words. What a great idea. I love appliqueing because when you decide you want something on your quilt, BAM you cut it out and sew it on. Sew cool. Be sure to post pictures when finished.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I spent all afternoon on a mug rug and finally ended up with one I think I can send. I got that one and one I had done previously quilted today. Now to bind them. Will try to post pics.
    I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. - Michael J. Fox

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    This was a great idea even if I way underperformed in reaching the goals I set for today. This virtual retreat motivated me to get back to quilting, so I am a happy camper today.
    I always under perform so I have been better at setting my bar a little lower!! But I don't get around to quilting as often as I would like, so I like our virtual quilt days as they give me at least one day where I don't feel guilty quilting all day!!

Rachel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Llama View Post
    I'm up, walked the dogs, doing the morning necessities. Took pic of sewing area, it's not as crowded as it appears but it does have threads and snippets all over the floor. :-) My goal is to finish the Color Pools table runner I started last Saturday. If I get this down pat, I can make 3 more for sister presents before summer family vacation. But from different fabrics, of course. Gotta work through the stash.
    Love your table runner. Is it quilt as you go?
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast